Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 - Bluetooth Antenna Built-In?

iMac G4 - Bluetooth Antenna Built-In?
Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 28, 2007, 07:57 AM

Before I finally crack my G4 open (something I only intend on doing once), I need to know whether it already has a Bluetooth antenna inside it, or if I'll have to splash out $30 for one? I have the required module to add Bluetooth to the machine, but I didn't think about whether or not it would have an antenna inside. Can anyone answer this question for me definitively?

ibook_steve
Aug 28, 2007, 01:25 PM

Is Bluetooth in the System Preferences? If it is, can you turn it on? If so, you have it. If not, you don't.

You can also check in the USB section of System Profiler to see if there is a BT module.

Steve

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Is Bluetooth in the System Preferences? If it is, can you turn it on? If so, you have it. If not, you don't.

You can also check in the USB section of System Profiler to see if there is a BT module.
Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my initial post--I have the Bluetooth module and I plan to install it when I go in to upgrade the HD and the engineer-slot RAM, and I only plan on opening the iMac up once, due to the complexity of doing so. My question was meant to be, does the iMac G4 come with the antenna already inside, so all I'll need to do is connect the module to it, or do I need to buy an antenna and fit that too?

Basically, I'd like to know prior to opening it up so that I can do everything in one-go to save repeated opening and closing of the iMac. I'd hate to crack it open, install everything only to find out that I needed the antenna as well and then have to open it up a second time.

ibook_steve
Aug 29, 2007, 01:26 PM

If there is such a kit for the G4 (I don't recall it), the antenna would be built in. The only machine that had an external antenna with its BT kit were the G5 towers (and Mac Pro probably; I don't have one to know).

Steve

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If there is such a kit for the G4 (I don't recall it), the antenna would be built in. The only machine that had an external antenna with its BT kit were the G5 towers (and Mac Pro probably; I don't have one to know).
It was originally a BTO option with the iMac G4, and it can be done aftermarket with an internal Bluetooth module, which is what I intend to do. Many thanks for the input!

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2007, 11:10 PM

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for years but this is my first post. I have done this bluetooth upgrade on my 17" iMac G4. Your 20" iMac has a built-in antenna, but you will need the bluetooth antenna extension cable part APP-3728 available from fastmac.com. Without it, the antenna wire won't reach the module.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

hab
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2007, 02:16 PM

21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 03:22 PM

That D-Link module may NOT work properly with some devices.

I've had several customers try to get a G4 tiBook and D-Link stick to work with a Bluetooth headset that works fine with any machine w/ built-in Bluetooth. It doesn't work.

And that despite the fact that the D-Link is probably the most compatible Bluetooth USB stick available, since it uses the same hardware Apple built into their machines for a while.

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 04:00 PM

I was using a Kensington usb bluetooth adapter on my imac. It worked great, but kb and mouse would not wake machine from sleep. With the internal module, both kb and mouse will wake up your mac.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by mac redneck View Post
Hi,
I have been reading this forum for years but this is my first post. I have done this bluetooth upgrade on my 17" iMac G4. Your 20" iMac has a built-in antenna, but you will need the bluetooth antenna extension cable part APP-3728 available from fastmac.com. Without it, the antenna wire won't reach the module.
Congratulations on your first post, and thanks for the clarification. I have to admit, I did wonder why FastMac sold that cable, and I'm glad I now know that I need it. As I said earlier, I intend on opening up the iMac once and only once, so I need to marshall all the required parts before I get to work.

Originally Posted by hab View Post
$20 and an open USB port and you would be done.

Amazon.com: D-Link DBT-120 Wireless Bluetooth 2.0 USB Adapter: Electronics
Thanks for the opinion, but part of the reason I want to put the module in (aside from having already paid for it) is that I want to keep my USB ports free for other things; and besides, as analogika said, I've read it can be a bit hit-or-miss with the D-Links.

Forum Links
Forum Rules