Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac with ADC Display

iMac with ADC Display
bencurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 06:04 PM

Anyone tried to use an Apple Cinema Display with the old-style ADC connector on a new generation iMac, using the Apple ADC to DVI adapter? I figure if you did iMac > mini-DVI to DVI adapter > ADC to DVI adapter > ADC 22" Cinema display - to get an extended desktop over the 2 screens - it should work but just wondering if anyone's tried something similar....

Ben

Koralatov
Senior User
Feb 23, 2008, 06:25 PM

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. It would just be a case of hooking up the ADC-DVI to the Cinema Display, then the DVI connector to a DVI-mini DVI connector, then plugging that into the iMac. Once you're there, it should be reasonably easy to configure the monitor in System Preferences.

One thing I would avoid is plugging in the ADC-DVI converter to a USB port on your iMac--you'd sacrifice a USB2.0 port for two 1.1s, and I'm not really sure it's worth the trade. That said, if you plan on always using the second monitor, it might make sense to use the hub inside the Cinema Display--you could hook up your keyboard to one port, and another USB1.1 device to the other (printer perhaps?).

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 11:58 PM

Ben,
It works great! I have my alum 24" iMac hooked up to a 23" HD ADC as a second display through apple's dvi-adc adapter and the mini dvi-dvi adapter. The 23" works very well since its resolution is the same as the iMac's built-in display(1920x1200). Windows stay the same size when moved from one screen to another.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

bencurtis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 03:51 AM

I have the 22" Cinema Display (1600 x 1024) so I guess the resolutions won't match exactly but I don't see that as a problem. Good to know that the system works though, I'm looking to get the 24" iMac too.... Thanks!
Do you connect the USB ports to the iMac or not?
If you put the iMac to sleep does the Cinema Display sleep too?

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 09:14 AM

Ben
USB ports on the display were flaky, so I stopped using them. Sleep function works fine, but the power button on the display does not work. Having the second display is nice. It gives you the option of the glossy display on the iMac, or the matte display on the ADC. Best of both worlds. I would recommend the 24" over the 20". The display panels on the 20" are cheaper panels. After looking at them side by side at the apple store it was an easy decision to make.

Don
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 04:05 PM

It will work, but keep in mind you need to buy the $100 adapter (DVI computer to ADC monitor) not the $20 adapter (ADC computer to DVI monitor).

Forum Links
Forum Rules