Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > weirdest iBook screen problem. Advice? help??

weirdest iBook screen problem. Advice? help??
mystikchick17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 03:26 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and i registered because of a rather unusual problem with my iBook. I have done research online and although it appears that hinge wiring problems can be a frequent source of misery for iBook users, I don't think this is the problem that has befallen my computer. Nor do i think it's a strictly logic board problem for reasons i'm about to explain.

Background:
iBook G4, purchashed july 2004. In october 2004, the HD crashed and was replaced by Apple. In April 2005, the computer was sent to apple to get a new logic board (half my keys had no letters anymore) and a new ethernet port. My computer is now entirely new except the screen, which has now also malfunctioned.

What happened:
I have never had screen problems before, or even the slightest hint that trouble was brewing. Two nights ago, I was on the internet. Suddenly my screen froze, and didn't do anything for about 10 seconds. Then my cursor started to move, but my screen wouldn't do anything. I began pressing various combinations of buttons, but to no avail. Suddenly, the screen went half black and half white, with some blue lines across the middle. I turned off the computer and decided to restart to see what happened. When it booted up again, the image of my webpage was still up, but was spliced with fragments of the image from the gray startup screen. There were still some flickering lines going across the screen, so i turned it off again. Upon restarting, the screen was black, even though the computer made the startup music and the initial whirring noise. I thought that both the screen and HD had died together, because the comp failed to make any of its usual noises that it makes on booting up.

A friend of my brother's recommended a certain set of keys to make it reboot three times successively, but nothing happened. The computer was still making no noises. When my computer died, I had my airport switched on and was surfing through my wireless connection. My messenger programs are set to turn on and login automatically upon startup. My brother was online and suddenly pointed out that i had signed online. He sent me a message which was successfully delivered to my computer because i got the received message noise. I think I then managed to click on the window, because subsequent messages didn't produce a noise.

Conclusions:
So my screen remains black, but it appears that behind the black screen, my computer lives. This would seem to rule out both of the typical problems people have with their screens and computers when the screen dies in such a manner.

I don't know what's wrong with it, and i'm beginning to think i may have to wait until i get back to the US in six weeks time to get my laptop fixed by apple at the store it was originally bought at. If anyone has any idea what is wrong with my computer or just reassurance that it'll be ok, that the repairs will be covered by applecare, ANYTHING, i would greatly appreciate it.

~maya

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 03:44 AM

Well, it looks like a serious issue. I'm afraid your logic board needs to be replaced...

Forum Links
Forum Rules