Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to install mac os x leopard using disk image

how to install mac os x leopard using disk image
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2009, 06:40 AM

I was going to upgrade to leopard os x which I bought, but before doing so I created a disk image of this dvd so I could have a backup copy. Well now I want to install leopard and can't find the original dvd anywhere! So I thought no prob will install from the disk image on my copy, however I open the disk image and it comes up with install mac os x restart, when I restart nothing on the screen, it just reverts back to original mac os x

So I can 't seem to install from the disk image, so then I thought maybe I need to actually save the opened disk image contents to another DVD and try and install from the other DVD, however the opened disk image has some aliases, so it seems to me that when I open the disk image somehow not everything has opened.

So my question is how to open everything on the disk image, as I'm assuming then I will be able to install leopard.
My other question is am I barking up the wrong tree, is there another way for me to install leopard using this back up DVD.

mweitzel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2009, 07:57 AM

To install the OS from a DMG file can be achieved with the help of another partition or an external firewire/usb disk.

Using the Disk Utility you can restore the DMG into the partition/disk of choice. Once that is done you can install it from that location...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

Use Disk Utility to burn the image to a DVD.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 02:28 PM

I think the image is larger than 4.3 gig, Chuckit.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2009, 02:33 PM

You can burn to a dual layer DVD or clone it to another partition or drive.
Vandelay Industries

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 06:54 PM

I use a partitioned Firewire drive.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2009, 06:31 PM

I have my tiger and leopard installers stored as dmg files on my server.

Hook what ever Mac you need up via FW target disk mode.
Open the dmg file
open terminal and type/cut and paste
open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"
this will open the installer package. Look for the file OSinstall.mpkg
double click it to open the installer, which will now run from the server mac and install onto whatever mac you have attached. Much faster than using a dvd and less prone to getting scratched.

Note the re are a couple of restricitions. You need to be running 10.5 to install 10.5, but 10.5 will install 10.4.
You need an intel mac to install onto an intel mac as it needs a GUID partition map
You need a PPC mac to install onto a PPC Mac

You can also install OSX onto an external FW drive plus the dmg files you need and then boot your mac from the external drive.

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2009, 08:37 PM

Thanks everyone.
I've tried using disk utility but it did unpack more files but still not all of them and can't install it still.
Andrew I've just seen your post but I'm not too tech savvy so not sure how to get into FW target disk mode etc, I think I'm just going to give this all a miss now, as I've since decided to install 10.5 onto all the computers in my house I think I'll just go out and buy a family pack and forget trying to find my original disk as I'm gathering I would still have had problems installing that on the other computers even if i could find it.

In the meantime I've reinstalled 10.4 (which I could find) which fixed a few glitches I had on my computer.
Thanks all for your advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules