Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > how to record digital television and how to hook up HDTV

how to record digital television and how to hook up HDTV
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2009, 11:17 PM

I've been googling everywhere and can't find the exact info I need, so sorry I'm not sure if a non mac question like this is allowed here?

Anyway helping rels hook up their HDTV to VCR and DVD Recorder. We have hooked up everything via composite cables (and obviously antenna hooked up also), I know these aren't the best quality though as they are analogue cables but everything is working okay, except we can't record digital television onto the DVD recorder (can record analogue TV though). Edited to add, should mention that when the DVD recorder did it's channel scan it only picked up analogue TV stations which is why I can't record digital TV stations.

If I went and bought a HDMI cable (as both TV and DVD Recorder have HDMI ports) or component cables would I then be able to record digital TV or do these cables only make the viewing quality better?

Also re quality is the viewing quality significantly better with HDMI cable or component cable hookup? As I've heard HDMI cables quite expensive, are they worth the price? What about component is that a good inexpensive option instead of HDMI and is component significantly better than composite?

My understanding is that I can't record high def onto a DVD recorder, but surely I should be able to record digital TV (if it's non high def)?

One last thing these rels also have a digital set top box which they are not using. Do I need to hook that up to be able to record digital TV? I'd prefer not to for 2 reasons, one will have to figure out what order to hook everything up again, two was hoping they might give me the digital set top box if they ain't using it anymore! But if it needs digital set top box to record then I guess I'll make that sacrifice.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2009, 11:43 PM

Are you asking how to record TV via your DVR, or are you asking how to hook your cable box up to your Mac and record on the Mac?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 01:16 AM

Hi Charles, want to record digital TV onto a DVD re my DVD Recorder.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2009, 01:35 AM

What is the problem you're experiencing? Does no TV signal appear when you change your TV's source to the DVD recorder? A DVD recorder's output connects to one of your TV's inputs, but the recorder also needs an input from your TV tuner so that it can receive the television signal. That's the step where people can easily run into issues. Many DVD recorders don't have tuners, so you need to have a cable box to be able to record TV broadcasts using them. If you tell us what make and model of DVD recorder you have, we can tell you what the proper setup will be.

HDMI cables are expensive if you buy them in a normal retail store, but then again the same can be said for most every type of cable. They can be found at low cost online.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 13, 2009 at 01:43 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 01:48 AM

Hi Big Mac, when I'm on the DVD channel (AV2) I can watch, change and record analogue television stations, however no digital stations are there, despite the fact that if I'm just watching TV using the TV remote I can watch digital TV. It's a Phillips DVD recorder and doesn't have a hard drive. Unfortunately I am actually helping a relative so am not there are the moment, but next time I'm over their place will get some more info.

What advantage is the HDMI cable, what is it for? e.g. better viewing quality?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2009, 01:58 AM

That's interesting. If it can record analog it should be able to record digital, unless the digital broadcasts are copy protected or the output from your tuner is analog only (the latter being more likely). This is the type of problem that is hard to diagnose remotely since it sounds like you've got everything connected properly.

Yes, HDMI's chief benefit is its higher quality. It provides higher quality than component or composite RCA cables, but on a standard definition device the difference isn't huge. HDMI also carries audio and video over one cable, which reduces the number of cables required. I like using HDMI when possible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

While cheap cables online were mentioned, nobody mentioned where the OP should get them. Here's that piece of the puzzle:

http://www.monoprice.com

The order of quality for video cables from lowest to highest with current technology is:

analog coax
composite (yellow RCA)
s-video
VGA
component (three connectors for red,green,blue; quality may be about the same as VGA)
DVI/HDMI (both interfaces carry the same digital signaling, but, as mentioned, HDMI includes audio and copyright protection features)
[mini]DisplayPort (maybe; I haven't used it enough yet to know if it is better than the other digital connections)

Monoprice carries cables for all of these. No, I don't work for them, but I love them!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules