Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MacBook won't sleep...

My MacBook won't sleep...
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2010, 08:10 PM

For a while now when I close my MacBook it seems like it is sleeping for a few seconds then the apple on top lights up and and spins back on, then shuts off again, then will spin back up again. It does this constantly until I decide to leave my lid open. At first I thought it was eventually going to sleep this way but turns out I had the battery setting to never go to sleep when plugged in. So I changed the settings to 45 minutes, but it still won't sleep when I close the lid.
Also, after using it then leaving it on my desk and about 45 min later I hear the faint sounds of the hard drive spin up again, that I'm assuming is it trying to go to sleep and waking back up again. At first this was only happening every couple days or week, but now it happens whenever I try putting it to sleep.
I've restarted it a couple times and have also left off for almost 24 hours, and still no help.
The MacBook I have is in my sig that I bought around March or April 2007.
Thanks in advance.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2010, 08:52 PM

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks. I did this and it seems to be working, I tested it and it went to sleep when I closed the lid and didn't wake up right away like it used to. Now hopefully it will continue to do this.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2010, 04:32 PM

So this problem came back. And for a few months my bluetooth has constantly been saying not available. I did some searching and saw that these two problems can be related.
Is there a fix for this? My Apple Care just ran out a few months or so ago.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2010, 02:17 AM

I still haven't been able to find anything for this. And earlier I left my MacBook off for a few hours and when I turned it on the Bluetooth was available but now it isn't.
It looks like I will be buying a 15" MacBook Pro around January when my spring semester loans come in. I would get it in August buy I have some other things to take care and I think I can last 6 to 7 months longer with this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules