Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > STILL having this SAME problem

STILL having this SAME problem
Norm1985
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 02:11 PM

This message STILL comes up on Software Update right after download and right before install. I'm running Mac OS X Client v10.1.3 Build 5Q45 and tried installing the DVD Update. Without this, I can't install the DVD update because the latest version on Apple's web servers is 3.0.1.

If you could either help me with this software update problem or getting the new DVD Player (including all of the components outside of the app) , it'd greatly be appreciate. Thanks for help in advanced.

Norm

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

The Dude
Banned
Mar 3, 2002, 04:09 PM

You posted once, no help.

You posted twice, now you're beginning to annoy people.

Just back up all the apps and stuff you want to hold onto and REINSTALL THAT MOFO!

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>You posted once, no help.

You posted twice, now you're beginning to annoy people.

Just back up all the apps and stuff you want to hold onto and REINSTALL THAT MOFO!</STRONG>
You are not a very helpful person, are you?

Before, I thought I had the problem resolved. And I posted on the earlier threadI thought I had the problem resolved. I've made several modifications to OS X and don't want to have to go through them all with a reinstallation. Be helpful for once!

[email protected]

The Dude
Banned
Mar 3, 2002, 04:16 PM

I am being helpful you schmuck.

Just get the disk that came with your TiBook (if I got em, you did too), and just reinstall.

Let me ask you something, have you done this before? Do you have any idea how EASY it is??? Or for that matter, how many bugs it can cure?

I swear, I should get one of the mods/admins to drop the rolleyes thing, pisses me off.

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 04:20 PM

<STRONG>I am being helpful you schmuck.

Just get the disk that came with your TiBook (if I got em, you did too), and just reinstall.

Let me ask you something, have you done this before? Do you have any idea how EASY it is??? Or for that matter, how many bugs it can cure?

I swear, I should get one of the mods/admins to drop the rolleyes thing, pisses me off.</STRONG>
The thing about it is, the installer DOES replace some of the files I put into some areas of the HD. I don't believe it touches the user folder, and except for apps installed along with the OS, it doesn't replace any others. But it's still having to go through ALL of the modifications that I've made through my system.

If I don't have to reinstall, I won't. I want to see if anyone can help me where I don't have to.

[email protected]

The Dude
Banned
Mar 3, 2002, 04:23 PM

What modifications? Flipping on the Graphite theme doesn't really constitute a major modification.

So you have to reset how fast your mouse tracking is, big whoop. If it'll solve your problem and shut you up, I'M ALL FOR IT!

I've reinstalled X several times for different reasons, never once did it replace or erase anything!

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 04:39 PM

<STRONG>What modifications? Flipping on the Graphite theme doesn't really constitute a major modification.

So you have to reset how fast your mouse tracking is, big whoop. If it'll solve your problem and shut you up, I'M ALL FOR IT!

I've reinstalled X several times for different reasons, never once did it replace or erase anything!</STRONG>
I've replaced files concerning interface and usability. These changes are located within the /System/Library/ and replaced the files installed with the system.

I know what I'm talking about, because I've reinstalled before, and it replaced the changes I had already made to it! Why do I have to reinstall if I may, prehaps, find a solution here?

[email protected]

zpincus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 05:14 PM

<STRONG>I am being helpful you schmuck.

I swear, I should get one of the mods/admins to drop the rolleyes thing, pisses me off.</STRONG>
You arse. Reinstalling is NO LONGER easy. Apple now suggests that to reinstall you have to erase the hard drive, install 10.0, install 10.1, install the security update, install the updater update, install the 10.1.3 update. That takes about 2 hours on my machine, not to mention the backing up of everything, and the fact that any additions you made to "unix folders" (like fink, etc) are gone and that needs to be re-done too.

Before 10.1, reinstalling was easy. Now it ain't.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 05:40 PM

Ok, I really don't get these forums at all. Surely if you can't help someone you just keep quiet in the understanding that someone else may be able to help. After all, these forums are for discussions, information and help where available, are they not?

<STRONG>What modifications? Flipping on the Graphite theme doesn't really constitute a major modification.

So you have to reset how fast your mouse tracking is, big whoop.
</STRONG>
Clearly your idea of "major modification" is different from Norm's. I would think he's talking about the various small tweaks and fixes he's made all over the place to get things to work (eg. sendmail and other config files). Numerous small tweaks are hellish to have to redo - I'd be absolutely gutted if I had to reinstall OS X given the sheer number of files I've modified.

<STRONG>
I've reinstalled X several times for different reasons, never once did it replace or erase anything!</STRONG>
Then maybe you've not done as many modifications as some of the rest of us here. Just goes to show that the number of MacNN posts is not indicative of a member's OS X knowledge. We're all on a learning curve here, so let's try'n help each other where we can, and listen humbly to others' advice when we can't offer any of our own.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest...

Norm, does this happen with every update or is it only this DVD update that's got the problem?

When you get the error, launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and look at the last few lines to see if it offers any more information on the situation. If not, then go to the file menu (still in Console.app) and choose Open Log type into the wee box in the "Open file" dialog "/var/log/system.log" and again look at the last few lines.

If it still doesn't make sense, post the last few lines from those logs here. They're sorted by date and time, so only post the relevant lines!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Mar 3, 2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
<STRONG>Ok, I really don't get these forums at all. </STRONG>
I don't think it has to do with these forums, but rather the Dude and Norm have been having marital problems off screen. Besides which, with like 20,000 people visiting this site, you have to be responsible for whether people piss you off, even if they are actually *gasp* rude to you or someone else. For instance, every time I'm halfway through a post and realize it's 500 words of worthless, content-less, opinionated, unsubstantiated, overstated poop, I look over and it's from a fellow here named mikem32. But I'm not going to say anything about it because it's not important, and it'll just get my blood pressure up.

As for the issues at hand, you shouldn't be so afraid of reformatting your hard drive. Hard drives crash. Especially in portables. If your system really deviates so severely from a basic installation, you should assemble a cd of your altered files, or make a copy of your whole system on a firewire drive or dvd. There are instructions in this very forum.
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 07:00 PM

Sheesh there's alot of love in the room

Dude about the DVD just wait for the separate download from Apple....

On the topic of the thread a better name is all I can think of.

So mellow out sheesh there is no point in starting a flame war....

Edd

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
<STRONG>Ok, I really don't get these forums at all. Surely if you can't help someone you just keep quiet in the understanding that someone else may be able to help. After all, these forums are for discussions, information and help where available, are they not?

Then maybe you've not done as many modifications as some of the rest of us here. Just goes to show that the number of MacNN posts is not indicative of a member's OS X knowledge. We're all on a learning curve here, so let's try'n help each other where we can, and listen humbly to others' advice when we can't offer any of our own.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest...

Norm, does this happen with every update or is it only this DVD update that's got the problem?

When you get the error, launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and look at the last few lines to see if it offers any more information on the situation. If not, then go to the file menu (still in Console.app) and choose Open Log type into the wee box in the "Open file" dialog "/var/log/system.log" and again look at the last few lines.

If it still doesn't make sense, post the last few lines from those logs here. They're sorted by date and time, so only post the relevant lines! </STRONG>
Event 1
tail: /botlib.log: No such file or directory
zsh: permission denied: tar
2002-03-03 23:45:14.820 Software Update[418] hasDownload error
2002-03-03 23:45:15.754 Software Update[418] hasDownload error

And it happens with all downloads. Thanks for your help.

[email protected]

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 4, 2002, 01:53 AM

I had almost exactly the same problem, although I don't think it was as a result of the particular error in your console log.

Looks to me like the permissions on tar are wrong.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 03:55 PM

The problem may or may not be from the "tail" process not finding the file, but seeing as the installer appears to continue after that, I doubt it. As Kenneth said, it's more likely to be a problem with "tar".

Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in which tar and make sure it says "/usr/bin/tar". If you've installed some stuff with fink or changed your PATH with some additions to your .cshrc file then you may get something else like "/sw/bin/tar" which is in fact a link/alias to "/sw/bin/gtar"

Whater that "which" command returns, take that path and find out what permissions are on it and who owns it eg. "ls -l /usr/bin/tar"

If it says anything other than
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
-r-xr-xr-x <font color = blue>1</font> root wheel <font color = blue>99104</font> Jan <font color = blue>9</font> <font color = blue>22</font>:<font color = blue>14</font> /usr/bin/tar
OR
lrwxr-xr-x <font color = blue>1</font> root admin <font color = blue>4</font> Feb <font color = blue>28</font> <font color = blue>15</font>:<font color = blue>42</font> /sw/bin/tar -&gt; gtar
</font>[/code]
then this is your problem and all you have to do (probably) is reset the permissions with chmod and chown and chgrp. Replace "/usr/bin/tar" in the following with whatever path "which" gave you earlier:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
sudo chown root /usr/bin/tar
sudo chgrp wheel /usr/bin/tar
sudo chmod <font color = blue>555</font> /usr/bin/tar
</font>[/code]

Try updating again.

Hope this works for you (and apologies for my previous rant, it just really bugs me sometimes!)
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 04:05 PM

It worked. Thank you. :-)

[email protected]

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2002, 06:03 PM

And look at that.. NO reinstall.

The Dude
Banned
Mar 4, 2002, 06:41 PM

Betcha a shiny nickel that he'll have different and numerous problems later.

Norm1985  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 09:34 AM

<STRONG>Betcha a shiny nickel that he'll have different and numerous problems later.</STRONG>
Eww... A nickel!

And your favorite face...

By the way, I thank the rest of you for actually helping me. I greatly appreciate it.

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules