Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Official Apple iPod Launch Event - Retail Stores this Friday!

Official Apple iPod Launch Event - Retail Stores this Friday!
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 10:34 PM

Apple has just recently updated their website with an icon that links to this: Click HERE

To those that attend this event at their local Apple Store, you'll get a free event poster & the chance to get a t-shirt for $10, or free w/ the purchase of a new iPod! Man, this sounds like a killer event...if only my "local" Apple store wasn't 2.5 hours away!

Anyone plan on going?! Those who are near the SoHo Store and The Grove are in for a special treat: live bands!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Apple has just recently updated their website with an icon that links to this: Click HERE

To those that attend this event at their local Apple Store, you'll get a free event poster & the chance to get a t-shirt for $10, or free w/ the purchase of a new iPod! Man, this sounds like a killer event...if only my "local" Apple store wasn't 2.5 hours away!

Anyone plan on going?! Those who are near the SoHo Store and The Grove are in for a special treat: live bands!

I can definately swing by my local AppleStore on the way home from work.. it's excuse to leave at the right time instead of pulling in extra hours. Atleast they kept us working folk in mind when scheduling this event...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 12:29 PM

Ahh, must be nice to be so close to your store! Let us know what happens there after you go!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

n~s
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 01:32 PM

Yep, headed to the Short Hills, NJ store after work. I tried to fast-talk a Best Buy employee yesterday, but no dice.
You are not your signature.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by n~s:
Yep, headed to the Short Hills, NJ store
as am i.. im not buying one (yet) but my friend is getting the 15 gig so im going with him. he's a PC user with no firewire ports yet so my powerbook gets the virgin transfer tonight

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
as am i.. im not buying one (yet) but my friend is getting the 15 gig so im going with him. he's a PC user with no firewire ports yet so my powerbook gets the virgin transfer tonight
Haha, the way you put that is just too funny.

Just make him keep coming back to your Mac, and say: "Ya know man, why don't you just get a Mac?!" or better yet, point him out a swank Mac at the Apple Store tonight.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2003, 04:55 PM

Bah..we're going to Menlo Park. Apple Store/X2 double-bill .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

n~s
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 07:09 PM

Just got back with a 15 GB iPod.

The "DJ" was just some guy with two iPods hooked up to mixer so her could fade back and forth...playing at way too high a volume for his set of speakers (bzzz, bzzzz, bzzzz).

Still, fun to line up outside the store with the Apple Faithful. I didn't stay long, just got my iPod, t-shirt, and poster then left.

The iPod is sweet! My first, and I'm not dissapointed at all.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 09:14 PM

I figured that in some places the DJ would be some kid off the streets, but I read that at the one location BT would be appearing. He is pretty big in the world of Electronica. ... He also appears in many of Apples lets-pat-ourselves-on-the-back promo videos.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 10:54 PM

Very cool fellas...did anyone happen to snap any pictures while at the event?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by n~s:
Just got back with a 15 GB iPod.

The "DJ" was just some guy with two iPods hooked up to mixer so her could fade back and forth...playing at way too high a volume for his set of speakers (bzzz, bzzzz, bzzzz).

Still, fun to line up outside the store with the Apple Faithful. I didn't stay long, just got my iPod, t-shirt, and poster then left.

The iPod is sweet! My first, and I'm not dissapointed at all.
yeah i know, the DJ was awful. it was way too loud for the "$1800" speakers that you could win (i found them online for $500 a pair) and it was deafening when you tried to go to any area on that side of the store. i probably saw you on line before the show... did you see a pack of 4 teenagers hanging out near the front of the line? i was there

and AssassyN, employees were taking lots of pictures.. i think i was in 3 or 4 of them (as we were online (both outside and when buying) and while browsing)

i got a tshirt and a poster, which will remain rolled up as it's a collecters item

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Bah..we're going to Menlo Park. Apple Store/X2 double-bill .

Mike
A friend and I did that. The must've sold 60 iPods in hour--including my friend's 30 gigger. Then saw the flick.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
A friend and I did that. The must've sold 60 iPods in hour--including my friend's 30 gigger. Then saw the flick.
oh they sold that easily at Short Hills. between the Genius Bar and the counter they had at least 30 out before the store even opened and within 20 minutes they were bringing out more by the armload... seemed like a lot more people were buying 30s than i expected.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 12:51 AM

Menlo wasn't bad. A few people showed up before 6. Around 6 the place got pretty packed. Yeah, the DJ was lame. I could have done it. A monkey could have done it. I cancelled my engraved iPod and bought one on the spot at the store.

I refuse to give money to the Short Hills store after they never got back to me with that "Double Your RAM" promotion. The day I bought my TiBook they were out of RAM and said they'd call me back within a week. A month. 6 weeks. The manager said I was lying (really!) because it wasn't listed on my receipt that I was supposed to get it. I told him that I had a verbal agreement with the person whose name was on the receipt. Was I supposed to know that it was supposed to be on the receipt? The date should be enough to know that I bought the thing during the promotion! The fine folks at the Menlo store took care of me so they get my money now.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 01:08 AM

huh i havent bought anything from them till today so i havent had any bad experiences with them. it seemed relatively painless, though, except that the guy at the genius bar (where we purchased) didnt really know what he was doing, i dont think. we were 3rd in line and it took probably 25 minutes to get through the first order, 10 for the second, and then finally only a couple for ours. i think when they know there's gonna be a rush of sales, they should only put the best out on the floor... or maybe that was the best

cobra7869
May 3, 2003, 06:04 AM

Went to Fashion Show Mall on the strip in Vegas. Was in town for conference and stopped by before I took a red eye back. How dedicated is that? I bought the new iPod (15GB). Very nice.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

n~s
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
i probably saw you on line before the show... did you see a pack of 4 teenagers hanging out near the front of the line? i was there
Yeah, we probably saw each other there. I first strolled up around 5:30 and there was a small group and one or two other people there alone.

I didn't feel like standing around, so I wandered around the mall for 20 minutes, then got back into line.

Small world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules