Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth Trackball for Powerbook?

Bluetooth Trackball for Powerbook?
Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 05:41 AM

There has been a lot of discussion about bluetooth mice for powerbooks, but I am entertaining the idea of a trackball mice. I would like something to just sit next to my powerbook while working that I could use with no wires.

Standard wireless trackballs don't make much sense to me because you still have to plug in the receiver. This make bluetooth an excellent candidate as it is already integrated into my powerbook.

I would also like something that matches the aesthetics of a powerbook but I am willing to all suggestions.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 08:50 AM

Hi, I can not find one (bluetooth) on the MS site, btw, what is the nice side about trackball?, I have never tried one, though.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 12:45 PM

You can always make your own or hack an existing one and add a BT component

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 01:01 PM

It's been a while since Logitech has updated their thumb trackball (the Trackman Wheel), I'm hoping it is a sign of new models soon. I currently use their wireless one at work, since the MS Bluetooth mouse just didn't feel right to me.

I've e-mailed Logitech about it and got the generic response of "we don't comment on devices that have not been announced".
<This space under renovation>

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Hi, I can not find one (bluetooth) on the MS site, btw, what is the nice side about trackball?, I have never tried one, though.
I am not sure one is nicer than they other, it is just personal preference. Personally I have not used one for a long time, but it seems that I feel more accurate with one working on graphics and the like just moving my thumb or hand on the ball. I have talked to a lot of gamers who swear by them also which really surprised me.

Plus, they stay in one location. No movement around on the desk or anything, which can be a godsend in a tight area like an airplane I suppose; Not sure if I would ever use it on an airplane though.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 01:22 PM

But why would you want one? Trackball stays in one place anyway and the cable doesn't get it the way like the mouse right? Or am I missing something?
( Last edited by phantomo; Apr 10, 2004 at 01:29 PM. )
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 07:01 PM

i dont understand why people like trackballs. its just like a trackpad, except i like track-pads a bit.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
i dont understand why people like trackballs.
Use whatever works for you. In my case, switching from a mouse to a decent trackball helped alleviate severe carpal tunnel problems.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by phantomo:
But why would you want one? Trackball stays in one place anyway and the cable doesn't get it the way like the mouse right? Or am I missing something?
Same reason I would want a wireless mouse. If I go somewhere I don't want to have to wrap up some cord. They look much nicer also.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 11, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
Use whatever works for you. In my case, switching from a mouse to a decent trackball helped alleviate severe carpal tunnel problems.
that makes sense. i guess your using your thumb also instead of your index finger.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Hmmm interesting...

*goes and looks for a good trackball to try*

I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules