Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > virtual desktop vs. desktop manager

virtual desktop vs. desktop manager
bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 09:46 PM

aloha all.

i am looking into both virtual desktop and desktop manager and was wondering if any of you guys that have used both could tell me the pros and cons? as course one is free but besides that. i was wondering do either apps store your setup so when you reboot next time it would be intact? can either launch your apps automatically in their previously stored pane?

any info is greatly appreciated. i have tried them but never for long. now that i got a g5 i think it can handle all the bells and whistles.

thanks!

bv.
( Last edited by bluevertical; Jun 30, 2004 at 10:21 PM. )
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 08:20 AM

so far only desktop manager has those nifty quartz extreme transitions when flipping from desktop to desktop ... and that�s what counts at the end of the day, no?

seriously, DM it hasn�t been updated for quite a while now, although there are some cool features in the pipeline for the next version. my personal opinion is that DM is far less bloated and very fast (although i haven�t tried VD in it�s latest incarnations).

btw: apps don�t store their screen setups (if i got you right there) in neither app AFAIK.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 09:10 AM

DM is free

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by bluevertical:
i was wondering do either apps store your setup so when you reboot next time it would be intact? can either launch your apps automatically in their previously stored pane?
The "Pro" version of CodeTek Virtual Desktop (Which I paid for... AWESOME shareware program) will do both of these features. I use both of them on a regular basis.

I find CTVDPro to be stable, fast, and disgustingly feature-rich... I love it.

If you're a member of a Mac User Group (or dishonest... and enjoy doing horrible nasty things) you can get it at a 30% discount ($28)... a price point that is **well** worth it. Without that discount, I would have considered my purchase a bit more seriously. For $28, it was a no-brainer.

**MUG Discounts**
---Lite for free (doesn't do what you want)
---Pro for $28
http://www.codetek.com/deals/deals.p...e=mug_discount
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by azdude:
The "Pro" version of CodeTek Virtual Desktop (Which I paid for... AWESOME shareware program) will do both of these features. I use both of them on a regular basis.

I find CTVDPro to be stable, fast, and disgustingly feature-rich... I love it.

If you're a member of a Mac User Group (or dishonest... and enjoy doing horrible nasty things) you can get it at a 30% discount ($28)... a price point that is **well** worth it. Without that discount, I would have considered my purchase a bit more seriously. For $28, it was a no-brainer.

**MUG Discounts**
---Lite for free (doesn't do what you want)
---Pro for $28
http://www.codetek.com/deals/deals.p...e=mug_discount
You still need the MUG number to enter...

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
You still need the MUG number to enter...
Whooops no ! my mystake
That's cool

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
Whooops no ! my mystake
That's cool
It'll be cool only as long as people don't abuse it. Thank them for their generosity with honesty.

Hope I don't regret posting the link.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by azdude:
It'll be cool only as long as people don't abuse it. Thank them for their generosity with honesty.

Hope I don't regret posting the link.
Don't worry, I won't be buying this, I don't need a desktop manager. After trying DM, I realised expos� was good enough for me

bluevertical  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 03:50 PM

thanks a lot guys! all useful feedback. i have given both a spin and will prob hang with DM at least until i find that i will use this for good. as for the quartz transitions, i find them quite necessary from a UI standpoint. the jittery flash between desktops in CVD is a bit annoying, but i do love all of the features of CVD. man, they have packed it full of everything and i'm sure the transitions will get implemented soon, at which time i will switch over for the saved states.
again thanks.
cheers.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

goose
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 11:00 AM

DesktopManager has been great, though I'm not sure if development has ceased. The website hasn't been touched since its last update in Feb.

There's never enough when you have too little

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by goose:
DesktopManager has been great, though I'm not sure if development has ceased. The website hasn't been touched since its last update in Feb.
Maybe Apple purchased the Desktop Manager code? That would be too good to be true, probably...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

ohm^n
Jul 3, 2004, 04:14 AM

The developer is still working on the source. If you setup arch (like CVS) for yourself you can download it and compile yourself.

I haven't updated mine in a few weeks because I'm happy with the version I have.

I paid for CodeTek's Virtual Desktop a while ago and a few months later they went 'Pro'. I did not buy the upgrade. I like Desktop Manager better- I don't need or want many of the features VirtualDesktop has, and I can hack the DesktopManager source to do some very cool things. .

I think the *only thing* that Desktop Manager is missing is the ability to drag windows from desktop to desktop using the pager. Great piece of software...

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 06:31 AM

BTW, here is an interview with the author of Desktop Manager - see also Slashdot...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

120db
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 05:52 PM

CodeTek has a lot of features that I got used to and missed when I tried DM. I upgraded to the new Pro CodeTek and have loved it and haven't regretted the purchase. Things like having the second monitor ignore the desktops is great for keeping my iChat windows, calculator and any random window I want to appear on every desktop makes things easier. Also, associating specific apps with specific desktops works well, which makes set up a lot easier. It's just more polished and I think it's worth paying for that.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 9, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
Maybe Apple purchased the Desktop Manager code? That would be too good to be true, probably...
heh... highly unlikely. Desktop Manager is largely a front-end to private MacOS X APIs for working with multiple workspaces. It's actually a very cool program, I'm not bagging on it, but there's no code in there Apple would purchase.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 05:15 PM

DesktopManager was updated today:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12682

I hope CodeTek incorporates the graphical gizmos that DM has... But it's still a much more mature, useful product than DM. :-/

Forum Links
Forum Rules