Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is There a Software to Upscale DVDs to HD ? (Thread was too old)

Is There a Software to Upscale DVDs to HD ? (Thread was too old)
MatisseGroening
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2008, 05:31 PM

Hello,

yes it's simple. It makes a lot of sense - more than written in the thread which made me come to this Mac forum - to upscale your DVDs. Actually, if you have a high contrast camera, you can save money, upscaling to DVD is cheap and done very often.

I used DVDx (PC) for doing that. But many programs for MPEG4 support now higher resolutions than 720x576 (480) too. Xvid and DivX 5.1.1 support this since a long time, but you have to get the DivX 5.1.1 from the K-Lite Codec Pack - should be V3.5, where it's the only way to get this done with a free DivX. Xvid is much slower and I always used DivX for that.

The point is, that on a Dual Core you have hopefully 15 fps upscaling with DivX. And your DVD-Player software needs 25 or 30 fps and does scale in simple integer (if so!). You can improve the quality even from TV-recordings. And you get easily 2h on a DVD SL. Actually I put 2 movies on one, because you can do it with 2800-3800 (-4500) kbit/sec (DivX 5.1.1). It does not help if you recorded your VHS tapes. Maybe if you have a giant TV I don't have.

Sorry for the little much PC stuff here. You also have such programs. Just try to change to1280x960 (4:3) and change DivX to HD.

Matisse Groening

I'm still trying to find an alternative to DVDx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2008, 08:22 PM

What the heck are you talking about?

Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 09:04 PM

That was a total mindfsck. I feel so weird right now, I can't begin to explain it. So many tense and topic shifts!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2008, 10:09 PM

It sounds like this upscaling is just a trick that involves zooming or something like that to achieve pseudo upscaling?

Of course, I'm not even sure I know what upscaling is in this context... There is no such thing as literal upscaling without having the source content in higher quality to work from.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2008, 10:42 PM

With a -somewhat- more widespread adoption of HDTV sets, some DVD manufacturers include upscaling algorithms (think Photoshop's scale function against a regular "zoom-in") in their players so that SD DVD movies look a little bit better on those sets than they otherwise would. More info: wikipedia.

Apparently the OP is asking for software to upscale his movies using his PC.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2008, 03:20 AM

So DVDx transcodes from DVD to another format (nothing unusual there, several apps can do this), I get that much, but what upscaling would be necessary to output this to your TV? If you use a player like VLC it is going to play the video as is to whatever display is connected to the TV.

Several pieces here I'm not comprehending, but thanks for the info on upscaling!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2008, 03:44 AM

Every modern big screen HD TV upscales a standard def DVD to a pretty good image. (this is why it is not recommended to buy an upscaling DVD player, as the circuits in modern TVs are more capable).

I don't see the point of upscaling DVDs.

PS: regarding the experimental argumentation (is the pen name "Matisse" a clue, or what?) of the OP I was just wondering: smoke or alcohol? (I hope he/she didn't drive a car in that condition)

But we were entertained, thank you.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MatisseGroening View Post
Hello,
[...]
Matisse Groening

What? No. Video is "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out). That means you cannot improve quality over the source. Upscaling is fine for viewing, but doing it beforehand does nothing other than increase file size.

As for using the scaler in the DVD player vs. the TV: a good upscaling DVD player will do a better job than the TV because the DVD player knows more about the source video than the TV does, so the DVD player can apply the most appropriate algorithm for that video, as opposed to the generic upscaling the TV must do.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I don't see the point of upscaling DVDs.
Watch a cartoon unscaled (i.e. letting the TV do the scaling) and on an upscaling DVD player -- the difference is remarkable (much bigger than I would have expected, to be honest!). On live action the difference is smaller.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by MatisseGroening View Post
Hello,

yes it's simple. It makes a lot of sense - more than written in the thread which made me come to this Mac forum - to upscale your DVDs. Actually, if you have a high contrast camera, you can save money, upscaling to DVD is cheap and done very often.

I used DVDx (PC) for doing that. But many programs for MPEG4 support now higher resolutions than 720x576 (480) too. Xvid and DivX 5.1.1 support this since a long time, but you have to get the DivX 5.1.1 from the K-Lite Codec Pack - should be V3.5, where it's the only way to get this done with a free DivX. Xvid is much slower and I always used DivX for that.

The point is, that on a Dual Core you have hopefully 15 fps upscaling with DivX. And your DVD-Player software needs 25 or 30 fps and does scale in simple integer (if so!). You can improve the quality even from TV-recordings. And you get easily 2h on a DVD SL. Actually I put 2 movies on one, because you can do it with 2800-3800 (-4500) kbit/sec (DivX 5.1.1). It does not help if you recorded your VHS tapes. Maybe if you have a giant TV I don't have.

Sorry for the little much PC stuff here. You also have such programs. Just try to change to1280x960 (4:3) and change DivX to HD.

Matisse Groening

Try to post subjects to the forums when you're not stoned or drunk. I doubt upscaling it "manually" would be much better than letting the DVD player or TV upscale it. This isn't CSI where details magically appear from a muddy source...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Watch a cartoon unscaled (i.e. letting the TV do the scaling) and on an upscaling DVD player -- the difference is remarkable (much bigger than I would have expected, to be honest!). On live action the difference is smaller.
My comment was based on this article.

http://hdguru.com/don’t-buy-a-dvd-pl...your-hdtv/312/

What do you think about his argumentation?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Depends on a few factors...I'd let my TV (Samsung 52A750) upscale 480i/p sources instead of my DVD player. YMMV but I've read on the AVS Forums that Samsung TVs in particular do a great job at upscaling.

I don't think I'd waste my time upscaling on the computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules