Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library coming November 8th

Delicious Library coming November 8th
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 01:54 PM

I know there is probably a thread on this already, but I cannot find it anywhere, so just go with this.

I think everyone is excited for this piece of software to come out. The graphics are just stunning, like amazoing. I am hoping the developers create plug-ins for more collections.... maybe Wine? Or baseball cards (although that would be hard to catalogue) Looking at it, it is probably not something that somebody needs, but once they use it they will like it a lot. As one of the developers said, the interface is also good for shopping on Amazon.com, because it has a interface better than the browser.

Excitement!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2004, 02:03 PM

Hmm, a baseball card plugin...YUMMY!

I cannot wait for this software...very excited.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 02:23 PM

What does this software do?

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 02:26 PM

Never mind -- did a quick search! Here's the info, from MacNN, as a matter of fact:

Delicious Library creates electronic catalogs
Monday, October 25, 2004 @ 7:20am

The Omni Group's founder Wil Shipley and interface designer Mike Matas have launched Delicious Monster Software, a software company designed to create Mac OS X applications. Delicious Library, the company's first release, creates an electronic card-catalog of books, movies, music, and video games. It offers 30fps iSight barcode scanning to import your stuff, photorealistic digital shelves full of hi-resolution 3D renderings of your covers, Address Book and iCal integration, and "smart recommendations" to help you find new things to add to your library. It also boasts automatic syncing with iPods, two-click purchases from Amazon.com, and a native XML file format to give advanced users direct accesses to all their library data. It will be available on November 8th for $40 with an optional wireless Bluetooth Laser barcode scanner ($175).

Hmmm -- wonder how this would be for my daughter's Archie comic book collection?

osxisfun
Nov 4, 2004, 02:44 PM

i really wish they would get rid of that flash movie on their home page.

*Is it me or does your dual 2.0 G5 fans kick in when watching big flash movies? Does upgrading to a newer flash solve this?

thanks

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 03:51 PM

yeah, i think it would be cool if it could take ANY barcode that has an internet database linked to it and create shelves and media objects for it...

Like wine, it would somehow get a wine label and ****

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 4, 2004, 04:05 PM

Step 1: Find product with barcode
Step 2: ???
Step 3: PROFIT!

geekwagon
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 04:17 PM

I'm hoping that this will be able to replace DVD Profiler for me. None of the existing OS X DVD apps are as good just because of the way they get their data (mostly from Amazon) which is pretty spotty. DVD Profiler has a great user contributed database that tracks all kinds of stuff. Unfortunately lately they have been slow with getting new profiles approved and added to the program though.

As for why you want something like this, it is nice to be able to keep track of which of your 50 friends you loaned a DVD to so you can make an attempt at getting them back. I have lost track of probably 20-30 DVDs that way..

Also, once you get 500+ DVDs you start looking for an easy way to prove to the insurance company what you had in case your house burns down. I just checked and according to DVD Profiler I have $13,000 MSRP worth of DVDs right now. I'm looking forward to being able to do books since I have a substantial investment there, too.

osxisfun
Nov 4, 2004, 04:36 PM

man. how much space does that take up? is it like a whole wall or a whole room?

radii_22
Nov 4, 2004, 04:46 PM

Ok, that's one hit for my checklist. I'm waiting to see other promised for soon, but actually delayed :

- DevonThink Professional
- OmniOutliner 3
--->>> Karate is only for defense

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
i really wish they would get rid of that flash movie on their home page.

*Is it me or does your dual 2.0 G5 fans kick in when watching big flash movies? Does upgrading to a newer flash solve this?

thanks
Flash on a 233 iMac is as slow as a molerat digging through concrete...

geekwagon
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
man. how much space does that take up? is it like a whole wall or a whole room?
It's actually only about 400 DVDs, so it takes about 1.5 7' bookcases. My collection is almost all anime so the discs are $30 a pop compared to Hollywood stuff which is usually $15-20. Compared to some people my collection is pretty small. On the DVD Profiler forums they have a thread where people announce crossing each 1000 disc level.. That is just crazy.

osxisfun
Nov 4, 2004, 05:51 PM

nice. i too am getting back into anime, its been a while so there is a lots of great stuff i have not seen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2004, 09:24 AM

I think the software is one of those things Apple should have created years ago... and they probably will come out with something in two years that's VERY similar. It looks like an amazing piece of software. I'm going to give it a try...

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 5, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think the software is one of those things Apple should have created years ago... and they probably will come out with something in two years that's VERY similar. It looks like an amazing piece of software. I'm going to give it a try...
I doubt it...this is far from anything Apple would touch. Mike Matas and Wil Shipley were smart to pick this kind of app to build than some widget-type app people I won't name have created.

Apple is more likely to ship an office suite than this.

TC
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 11:03 AM

Since they're releasing it on my birthday any chance of a licence as my present?
Nothing to see, move along.

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 11:57 PM

get ready

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 11:58 PM

I can't wait. I've got my $$ ready .

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 12:43 AM

How much is this going to be? Any "trial" before purchase you think?

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
How much is this going to be? Any "trial" before purchase you think?
40 bucks, probably will be a free download with limited number of items you can have or something like that

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 09:09 AM

Just downloaded it, very good. Looks like a winner.
PIXAR Animation Studios

solbo
Nov 8, 2004, 09:48 AM

It's fairly neat and it looks great, but forty bucks seems kind of high for this kind of novelty app. This is the kind of thing where I can easily see someone taking the time to add everything they own to this during the fresh and exciting phase, and then never using it again.

I am sure it is great for the people who will use it all the time, but for the casual person without OCD it is probably too pricey.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 09:52 AM

I've been using DVD cache up til now, it's been great too, especially since it syncs its data with IMDB, or Amazon. So far in Library, it only seems to use Amazon, which is a bit of a pain.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 10:04 AM

and it only uses Amazon.com and there's no option to use Amazon.co.uk or any other of the regional amazon sites. This is a shame, and a deal breaker, because a lot of things - like every CD I've tried is not recognised on the US amazon site.

The interface is lush though

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 10:50 AM

What does an "iPod Sync" look like? What is synced exactly and how is it presented on the iPod?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hmm - same experience here - some books are recognised - but no DVDs/Games/CDs of mine have been recognised.

International support would be good. Maybe soon.

[edit] - Hmm - I assume DeliciousMonster gets a referrer fee if any of their users buys through amazon using the app. That makes $40 seem a bit overpriced.

johnzoidberg
Nov 8, 2004, 11:05 AM

Where can I download it? I can't find any mention of a download on the Delicious Monster website.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by johnzoidberg:
Where can I download it? I can't find any mention of a download on the Delicious Monster website.
look a little closer - the word "Download" should give you a clue. (it's next to the $40 price.)

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by johnzoidberg:
http://www.delicious-monster.com/dow...ousLibrary.dmg
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 11:20 AM

I've already found a bug...

The details are is cut off when they are long. Can someone confirm this?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 11:26 AM

Can someone confirm this?
I'm not seeing this myself; however, I opened the window to be practically full-screen for me. Does it show more for you when making the app's window larger?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
look a little closer - the word "Download" should give you a clue. (it's next to the $40 price.)
How do people feel about the $40 price?

For general usage, 19.95 is my threshold for impulse purchases. I would have to wait to see how the iSight thing works with my Sony camcorder prior to considering the software.

On one hand, I love the organization... but on the other hand, I really don't have any enormous collections of books, CDs, etc.

The baseball card collection add on would be nice

johnzoidberg
Nov 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
It's up now, but it wasn't there a few minutes ago.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 11:29 AM

I have been using DVDPedia and love it, but this thing looks amazing.

Anyone else been using it? How fast is it to scan things? Does it find all your books?

BZ

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 11:39 AM

I heard that localizations will be coming in the next release, I think. I also can't seem to get movies to downoad info from Amazon, keep getting that voice saying, 'failed'.
PIXAR Animation Studios

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 11:58 AM

After a somewhat brief test run, here are my initial impressions:

1. The interface is a little sluggish - it feels like using iPhoto2 cf to iPhoto '04.

2. The lack of localisation is a shame, but is likely to be corrected. However, I have noticed that when adding a new item, it does actually search the UK version of amazon (I'm located in the UK) for the information and not the US version. The result is that newly added items are described by the correct location (and pricing is in pounds sterling for example), but if you click the arrows besides the titles, it will open the US amazon site and not the UK one. I suspect that this will be the case for other locations.

3. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to add a number of items by the same "creator" at one go. For instance, say I want to download the info for and add several of Nick Cave's albums at once rather than do it for each individual CD I have, I can't seem to find a way to do it (maybe it is there and I haven't discovered it yet, but if it isn't this is a big oversight for easing the setting up of your initial library).

4. There ought to be a way of adding other common categories such as "Artwork", "Comics", "Photos" etc and also of subcategorising things (e.g. under the Books catalogue, have novels, sci-fi, manuals, textbooks, etc). I guess the new shelves allow for this, but it would make more sense to me for these to be grouped under Books.

5. Following from point 4, I haven't noticed a "Smart Album" equivalent - if there isn't one, it is crying out for an equivalent of the iPhoto Keywords system so that you can have newly added items automatically sorted into your various "Smart" bookshelves. I don't want to have to drag an item separately to e.g. five different bookshelves just to get it added.

6. $40 is possibly too much but could be worth the price if a) Monster follow a similar upgrade policy to OmniGroup (that is, upgrades to major version releases are very cheap), and b) you do use it for more than a brief period.

Other than that, it is a very nice start. It looks good and is very easy to use. If, for example, it were included with MacOS X or new Macs, I suspect that many people would find it a very worthwhile application to use.

-Q-
Nov 8, 2004, 12:25 PM

Haven't had a chance to extensively play with it myself but it looks like it has potential.

US$40 could be high depending on how much media you have. But if you start considering the amount of time it would take you to manually enter the data, $40 quickly becomes a savings if you have a medium to large collection. As a new home owner, I'm also thinking how great this will be for a database of stuff for insurance purposes.

John Siracusa has been using the beta and has a review up at Ars Technica.

johnzoidberg
Nov 8, 2004, 12:54 PM

Great app, but I have a question. Since, I am using the demo version, every time I open the app, the same "borrowers" appear in the list, even though I have deleted them prior to that time. I would delete these borrowers, quit the app, launch again, but they would appear still. Anyone else having this issue?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 01:00 PM

I'm very impressed with the iSight scanning - but I can't for the life of me add a movie, manually or otherwise. It always defaults to books. Search for 'Star Wars' or 'Shawshank Redemption' - you'll get a full list, but they are all books and there's no films at all. Kinda limiting, considering it won't recognise my UK UPC codes....

But wave a book at the iSight, and before you've had chance to put it down the details and cover are there. And I love the little enhancements it does to the cover - makes it look 3D, and CDs appear in a jewel case. The only real downside to this metaphor is that nobody keeps books on a shelf face-out, but then again Amazon doesn't scan the spines, and in any case people probably would keep books like that if they had the room.

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 01:06 PM

It probably is a bit pricey for them getting money every time someone accesses amazon.com ... very often.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
It probably is a bit pricey for them getting money every time someone accesses amazon.com ... very often.
Isn't it just when someone buys something from amazon?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:58 PM

Finally a reason to buy a isight. It would be so kick @$$ if they added the feature for baseball cards. Comics would be nice too!

velporama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:06 PM

From my purchase email:

(Remember this license is only for your computer.)

I haven't entered the license on my TiBook since I actually want to run this on my machine at home. Does this mean you need to purchase teh license from the machine you intend to use it from?

Cheers,

Velpo

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
From my purchase email:

I haven't entered the license on my TiBook since I actually want to run this on my machine at home. Does this mean you need to purchase teh license from the machine you intend to use it from?

Cheers,

Velpo
That would make me say yes... I wonder how they are going to monitor that... I guess they could do it by IP... or some kind of serial number deal... but that is a considerable amount of work... but who knows.

Epicurus
Nov 8, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
From my purchase email:

Cheers,

Velpo
I purchased it and licensed it to my three computers without any problems.

-Q-
Nov 8, 2004, 06:47 PM

Tried it when I got home to my machine with the iSight and can't get the app to use the iSight. The camera is working perfectly as I was able to set up a video chat with a friend, but the application just won't recognize it.

I'm wondering if there's a conflict with my Alchemy TV card? I know I have to use a special extension to get the camera to work after installing the card...

osxisfun
Nov 8, 2004, 06:51 PM

Q-

be sure to unplug your ipod if you have one. i have had problems in the past when both are plugged in.

don't know if this is your problem but counld't hurt to try.

Chad A Wright
Nov 8, 2004, 09:02 PM

Anyone else having problems buying the license. I go through the whole process and the click place order. It processes for a moment then says unable to place order. (Secret Error Code: "".) whatever that means. Any ideas?

new newton
Banned
Nov 8, 2004, 09:14 PM

I was excited about this, because the one thing that's always stopped me from trying to catalog my collections is manual data entry. Being able to use my iSight makes it something that immediately grabbed my interest.

Unfortunately, Amazon is the only data source. Sorry, but for $40 it should at least reference sources beyond that. So far it's failed to find info on most of my video games and books that I've tried to enter. That makes it no better than manual entry, because if I'm moving through a stack I've got to stop and enter the info myself because an entry consisting only of an unrecognized UPC is useless.

Also, there's no real thought given to where my stuff might be. I've got boxes and boxes of books, along with a ton of shelves. How about entering an item into a shelf I select instead of recent entries? That would be the ideal way to do this. I create a shelf called Box 11 and the entries I scan while I have Box 11 selected are... placed in Box 11. Perhaps the creators don't have much stuff.

Bug-wise, my iSight seems to be "lost" after more than a few minutes. I love the way it works when it works, but having to see "No Video" and unplugging the iSight then plugging it in and starting the video window again is a pain. If I enjoyed doing that, I could do it without the prompting of software.

All in all, this seems more like a brilliant idea to make money off of Amazon referrals, but a poor way to enter, organize, and track your stuff. Great looking, lots of glitz, but not much substance. That's a shame, because this could be a really great app. Right now it's not.

And let's not pretend it's an all new app. It used to be called Cronopath Library (up to version 2.12), and was sold for $15. Delicious Monster originally called theirs Library 3.0.

$40? No. Not until it works as it should.

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:15 PM

I've already found a bug...

The details are is cut off when they are long. Can someone confirm this?
My details do not get cut off like this when they are too long. The text gets cut off right at the three buttons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules