Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Request: Wiki-based database

Request: Wiki-based database
noddan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 12:36 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Martin and I am from Sweden which means that amazons searches are.. well.. crap to me. None of my scanned barcodes work so I have to enter all information manually which is quite boring. Since we have given you blonde girls, delicious vodka and "furniture that cost a little less and you get to assemble them yourself" I thought that you might want to give us something in return

I realize that you can't write grabbers for stores in every single country so my idea is some kind of wiki-based database. You enter each movie only one time and then have different barcodes (depending on the nationality) pointing to the same movie. This means that when a new movie is released, the first person to enter it in the database has to find the movie via amazon or whatever and then transfer it to your wiki-database. The movie now exists in your database with one barcode, the barcode of the first scanner. When I want to enter the database, assuming that no othere swede has entered it before, I have to map my scanned barcode to the movie already existing in the "wikibase". After this, all other swedes can access it directly via barcode. This allows every country in the world to use DL the way it is supposed to.

Another advantage of having a wikibase could be is that everyone can enter extra information about every movie if anything should be missing in amazons database.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 03:29 AM

Certainly, that's an idea we've bandied about. Of course, it requires setting up and running (or otherwise having to pay for) a server farm, which is no fun at all, but certainly, it's a possibility on our master list of possibilities, next to screen scraping and my IMHO excellent idea of an (all expenses paid) world tour.

Do they have "Swedish Furniture" in Sweden? Is it better? Or is it like Fosters, which no real Australian drinks, even though it's advertised to us Yanks as the literal Australian word for beer.

-Mike

noddan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 05:49 AM

Okay, I kinda hoped to se that in DL2 but I guess I'll have to wait then I hope that DL2 will at least give some way for us to add items conveniently. Life will be so much easier when everyone is using the semantic web

I'm thinking about writing my own "import-script" that accesses the xml-file directly. Evobarcode seems quite useful, but I doubt that I will take the time to do it. Perhaps plug-in functionality to write your own data-miners would be useful?

Of course our furniture is better! IKEA for life!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 11:45 PM

I fully support any suggestion involving blonde girls and wikibases!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules