Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools iDisk : iSuck or is it Apple?

iTools iDisk : iSuck or is it Apple?
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2001, 04:29 PM

I first used my iDisk when it was first available - yes it was buggy and crashed my computer, but it kind of worked. So I gave it some time.

Now I'm trying to use it again and it takes forever for iDisk to mount, a lifetime to browse folders and at least two eternities to copy data to.

Under OS 9.x it doesn' work at all. Under OS X (10.1.1) it takes almost 20 minutes to move six MS word docs!

I've experimented with three different G4s at two different locations (T1 & DSL) and they all suck.

Does anyone have a similar problem ? I'm just confused as to why this sucks so much now.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
<STRONG>I first used my iDisk when it was first available - yes it was buggy and crashed my computer, but it kind of worked. So I gave it some time.

Now I'm trying to use it again and it takes forever for iDisk to mount, a lifetime to browse folders and at least two eternities to copy data to.

Under OS 9.x it doesn' work at all. Under OS X (10.1.1) it takes almost 20 minutes to move six MS word docs!

I've experimented with three different G4s at two different locations (T1 & DSL) and they all suck.

Does anyone have a similar problem ? I'm just confused as to why this sucks so much now.</STRONG>

BTW, nice username I'm on a cable connection at home and I've found the version in 9 to be superslow like that. I've had it be sluggish in X, but not unbearably so. I'm using a DP800. Not sure if machine specs make a difference in something like this. After all, this should be all about the network connection.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2001, 05:31 PM

yep - I thought my connection was to blame too - but I've tried different connections and different computers too. Very very strange. It use be very reliable and fast.

If there's more than one Osiris does it become 'Osirii"?

cheers!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 05:36 PM

I seem to recall something about Apple switching the protocall recently. More secure but slower. Of course I could be full of sh*t.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2001, 01:19 PM

It still works as before for me,that is,slow,but not so slow you can't use it.(cable,btw,and OS 9.2.2 on a imac 400dv)
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 02:57 PM

it is so slow that i will never use it when it surely doesn't get a boost

or let's say ten speed boosts

then it will be much sna........
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules