Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Global Warming is Causing Glaciers to Grow

Global Warming is Causing Glaciers to Grow (Page 2)
Atomic Rooster
May 26, 2007, 06:24 PM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 12:18 PM

That picture does not involve a cat.

You lose.

tutelary
Forum Regular
May 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

The amount of ignorance in this thread is generally mind numbing. It is also why I won't return here. You people are 6 flavors of pathetic, and only a few posts in this entire thread are from people who 'get it'.

You would rather cite Penn and Teller than side with the majority of the worlds climatologists. Amazing.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Nothing can disprove global warming...

Hot temperatures: global warming
Cold temperatures: global warming
Lots o' hurricanes: global warming
No hurricanes: global warming
Melting glaciers: global warming
Growing glaciers: global warming
Mars getting warmer: Carbon emissions on Earth. Obviously.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Doesn't matter though, the article is completely illegitimate because it goes against the "consensus", and apparently, in modern science consensus is what REALLY matters.
In ALL science, consensus is what REALLY matters, dumbass!
That's how science works. If you announce a discovery, it has to confirmable by other scientists. Your data must be confirmed. Your experiments must be duplicatable by others. That's why we don't have cold fusion up and running (anybody remember that?).
If somebody came along with a CONFIRMABLE proof that humans are not contributing significantly to global warming, then AND ONLY THEN would the scientific consensus on global warming change.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
That's how science works. If you announce a discovery, it has to confirmable by other scientists. Your data must be confirmed. Your experiments must be duplicatable by others. That's why we don't have cold fusion up and running (anybody remember that?).
If somebody came along with a CONFIRMABLE proof that humans are not contributing significantly to global warming, then AND ONLY THEN would the scientific consensus on global warming change.
<Stephen Colbert>
... something about my gut feeling being superior
</Stephen Colbert>

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 12:22 AM

Real nice Captain Maturity. Keep up the good work!
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 12:27 AM

Why we don't let some ice melt occur and carve out large canals and rivers into desert regions where people are desperate for water I don't know.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
Why we don't let some ice melt occur and carve out large canals and rivers into desert regions where people are desperate for water I don't know.
Characteristic for your intellect or just your geographical ignorance?

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Characteristic for your intellect or just your geographical ignorance?
Watch your mouth if you don't know who you're talking to.

The Himalayas, for example, is experiencing glacial retreat and is surrounded by arid regions where there is a need for fresh water.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bgmark13 View Post
graphs are good proof of global warming...
Please don't quote FSM if you're completely oblivious to the irony of your statement.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

You really think at this point someone suggesting a difference of opinion to the global climate change stake would be taken seriously? There are far too much politics in the scientific world for this to be the case, IMO.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

Global Warming is a misnomer, it should be referenced as Global Climate Change as changes will incur more extreme temperatures on both ends during seasons, even if the average mean temperature is rising. Isolated climate zones will react differently than the entire climate as a whole.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Global Warming is a misnomer, it should be referenced as Global Climate Change as changes will incur more extreme temperatures on both ends during seasons, even if the average mean temperature is rising. Isolated climate zones will react differently than the entire climate as a whole.
Bingo, those who discard Global Warming by saying "well it's getting cooler here, nyah!!" don't understand climate change any more than a two year old.

Pumping CO2 into our atmosphere will result in a huge gamut of different outcomes. Ice will retreat from certain areas of the globe and form in others. The only problem is that this will most certainly change the weather as we know it. The thing is that it's impossible to accurately predict what EXACTLY will happen but the fact remains that the world's scientists agree we are changing our world.

Those who disagree with this overall sentiment of us doing harm against our precious environment need to actually understand science before badmouthing it.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
You really think at this point someone suggesting a difference of opinion to the global climate change stake would be taken seriously? There are far too much politics in the scientific world for this to be the case, IMO.
Nobody who makes outlandish claims without any evidence is taken seriously. Why should they be?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think the thing about our climate changing is that we don't know what might happen as a result.

"What if?" was enough of a justification to spend billions on the Iraq war. The potential dangers presented by global warming, human-caused or natural, are greater than the actual danger we now know Iraq presented prior to the invasion.
Agreed. The supposed terror threat posed by Iraq, told to us by a few people in our government apparently had more credibility than the vast majority of the entire world's scientists on the effects of Global Warming.

I'm actually at a point where I just don't care anymore. I feel like if we're too stupid to see our own demise right in front of our faces, we deserve the consequences. And maybe that's the real problem. Humankind has yet to suffer any "real" consequences from the misuse of our natural resources. We just don't understand what will happen, so we dismiss it.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 06:32 PM

No, not opinion. Verifiable FACTS would be taken seriously.
The idea that the "scientific world" (whatever that is) is ruled by politics is one of the BS lies that the Bushies try to spread. Remember, they are the clowns who fill government positions (including science-related ones) based on political loyalty rather than ability or knowledge.
/mal

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 06:42 PM

No, not opinion. Verifiable FACTS would be taken seriously.
The idea that the "scientific world" (whatever that is) is ruled by politics is one of the BS lies that the Bushies try to spread. Remember, they are the clowns who fill government positions (including science-related ones) based on political loyalty rather than ability or knowledge.
I don't mean that the scientific world is ruled by governmental politics, I mean that it is largely political. Scientists, much like everyone else, tend to cling to their own philosophies about how things work. They have pet hypothesis which they've built themselves on. On top of that, they work for companies that want to make money, or Universities that want exposure and more students. If a scientist's findings go against the trend of their workplace or the beliefs of the guy who writes the paycheck, I tend to believe that their findings don't make it into the published journals or popular parlance.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Nothing can disprove global warming...

Hot temperatures: global warming
Cold temperatures: global warming
Lots o' hurricanes: global warming
No hurricanes: global warming
Melting glaciers: global warming
Growing glaciers: global warming
You've noticed that too?

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
Oh man, you're stuck in 2005.

The name has been updated to "Climate Change"

(since the globe stopped warming)
I remember when it was called "Global Cooling" But that bit them on the ass. You'd have thought they would have named it "Climate Change" sooner.

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Global Climate Change or "Global Warming" means that the heat extremes and cold extremes get a wider range. So one winter its extremely cold and the next summer its extemely hot (like this summer )
But our winter was mild, and so far this summer isn't any hotter...
Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Funny because that describes YOU pretty well.
I was thinking THE SAME THING when I read his post!
Originally Posted by tutelary View Post
The amount of ignorance in this thread is generally mind numbing. It is also why I won't return here. You people are 6 flavors of pathetic, and only a few posts in this entire thread are from people who 'get it'.

You would rather cite Penn and Teller than side with the majority of the worlds climatologists. Amazing.
I stay at MacNN for the pretentious and condescending posts.

Thanks for making my MacNN experience a nicer one.
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

Just like the Bible says it will....

( Last edited by Kevin; May 30, 2007 at 06:59 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2007, 07:08 PM

Why is it that this issue seems to be drawn across retarded partisan lines? Why is it so bloody predictable that Johnny Republican is going to be against the theory of Global Warming without knowing a damn about science, while Jack Democrat is going to be inclined to believe in these theories in good faith?

Look, UN representatives from around the world have come to the collective conclusion that global warming is happening and that we're contributing to it. This is probably the closest we'll come to a global consensus, and therefore for those who don't know a damn about science, logically this should be a little more persuasive than simply gut feelings.

If scientific consensus is the basis of facts, that means that there is an established reality, and it is up to us whether we want to jump aboard the reality train. Unfortunately, being able to pull up some articles of some people on the internet that refute the theory of Global Warming does not change these facts as we now know them.

It seems that the most scientifically grounded counter to GW is the sun flare theory. Regardless of what the cause of the climate change is, does it not seem logical that pollution is the cause of phenomenon such as smog and haze? Isn't smog poisonous gas that has been trapped? Is this not undesirable? So, aren't there other benefits to limiting the amount of pollution we let off into the air regardless of whether carbon emissions or sun flares are causing this climate change?

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 07:12 PM

I don't disbelieve/beleive besson. I simply say it doesn't matter.

Screw the earth. Save the people.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:18 PM

I don't mean that the scientific world is ruled by governmental politics, I mean that it is largely political. Scientists, much like everyone else, tend to cling to their own philosophies about how things work. They have pet hypothesis which they've built themselves on. On top of that, they work for companies that want to make money, or Universities that want exposure and more students. If a scientist's findings go against the trend of their workplace or the beliefs of the guy who writes the paycheck, I tend to believe that their findings don't make it into the published journals or popular parlance.
You are mostly wrong. "Pet" hypotheses go NOWHERE unless they can be verified by observation or experiment.
And guess what. Companies that try to use inaccurate science create products that don't work, and therefore they don't make money. Universities that promote inaccurate science get BAD publicity (except among some religious fundamentalists).
Beliefs are largely irrelevant to the scientific process.
There are a few examples of "dueling hypotheses" in areas of science that are extremely arcane, such as the debate between advocates of String Theory and M Theory as to whether space-time has 10 or 11 dimensions. Climate change does NOT fall into this category.
/mal

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
By doing the first, you make the second impossible.
/mal

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 07:23 PM

There are a few examples of "dueling hypotheses" in areas of science that are extremely arcane, such as the debate between advocates of String Theory and M Theory as to whether space-time has 10 or 11 dimensions. Climate change does NOT fall into this category.
"Global Warming" is big business however.
By doing the first, you make the second impossible.
Not at all

badidea
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 03:27 AM

Not at all
Ladies and gentlemen, people all over the world, please listen!!
Kevin has the solution!

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 06:40 AM

Naw, I said something that a few people didn't understand. Not that it's above their thinking. It's not.

Not the first time I've said it in here either.

The earth is doomed. Save the people.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 09:35 AM

There was a concensus that the world was flat, based on observable data. They were wrong when they TESTED the theory.

The predictions of mass distruction by GW don't work. The climate models, when actual historical data is plugged in don't match the current weather. The Theories ARE being tested NOW, but no real conclusions are out yet. The Solar Astronomers have a good case that the SUN is to blame, and the numerous cycles it goes through. The climate models didn't take into account the changing positions of the continentsover the last 1500 years either.

GW is sloppy science, or "Pop Science" take your pick.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:08 AM

Listen folks, it's real easy.

They invented/hyped up the terrorist threat to scare the right-leaning masses into accepting more government control (in the name of fighting terrorism).

They invented/hyped up climate change to scare the left-leaning masses into accepting more government control (in the name of environmental protection).

Now, I'm trying to cook some kind of scenario up which will threaten us all with global destruction if all hot 18-40 year old women don't walk around topless all the time. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
There was a concensus that the world was flat, based on observable data. They were wrong when they TESTED the theory.
Are you under the impression that Columbus discovered that the earth was round? You're wrong. There was never a concensus that the earth was flat.

The Solar Astronomers have a good case that the SUN is to blame
Wrong again...

The climate models didn't take into account the changing positions of the continentsover the last 1500 years either.
Where are you getting this stuff?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Any ideas?
Shirts cause breast cancer. And wrinkles. And make you fat.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 10:27 AM

And how are you going to do this? Is there a giant ultra-lightspeed spaceship under construction that I haven't heard of yet?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:31 AM

I'm sure it was some type of religious statement.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:35 AM

The earth is doomed. Save the people.
I packed my stuff and am ready to enter Battlestar Galactica - when do we start?
( Last edited by badidea; Jun 1, 2007 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo)

badidea
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:41 AM

Now, I'm trying to cook some kind of scenario up which will threaten us all with global destruction if all hot 18-40 year old women don't walk around topless all the time. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Well, since more and more people become gay these days, that's the most powerful weapon women have against this trend -> more naked breasts, less gayness, no downfall of humanity!!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Well, since more and more people become gay these days, that's the most powerful weapon women have against this trend -> more naked breasts, less gayness, no downfall of humanity!!
Wait, I think you might be on to something...
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Where are you getting this stuff?
NASA

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
And how are you going to do this? Is there a giant ultra-lightspeed spaceship under construction that I haven't heard of yet?
Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'm sure it was some type of religious statement.
Wait, I think you might be on to something...

Forum Links
Forum Rules