Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Trump for President ?

Trump for President ?
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 12:36 AM

Certainly an intriguing thought:

msnbc.com Video Player

Trump: "This country is going to hell"

Right he is.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 12:41 AM

I would substitute "obnoxious" for "intriguing".

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 12:51 AM

Could he possibly be a worse president than Obama ?

I'd like to see that.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Could he possibly be a worse president than Obama?
Yes.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 01:00 AM

Meet your 2012 Republican Presidential ticket:

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:01 AM

No, he could not be a worse president than Obama.

He's a businessman and celebrity. A bit flamboyant, but he knows how to make money, and he speaks his mind.

Obama is the worst of all possible worlds-- Attorney, Academic, Activist. In other words, he has never had a real job, never earned a dollar, never cut a deal. It doesn't get worse than that..

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Meet your 2012 Republican Presidential ticket:

Don't get too excited--a pair of clowns like Trump and Palin are actually competitive against Obama. Imagine when the GOP fields a real candidate...

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Oh, okay. That settles it then.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 01:35 AM

The list of possible Republican candidates looks pretty crappy. I'm not predicting a loss, but if the Republicans win at this point it doesn't look like they will do so on the strength of a good candidate.

My favorite of the bunch might be Palenty, but pundits say that he is also pretty boring. Will boring stack up against Palin, Bachmann, Trump, and others that are the exact opposite of boring?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, okay. That settles it then.
Nice job, failing to attempt to rebut anything in my post. You Obama guys are masterful debaters!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The list of possible Republican candidates looks pretty crappy. I'm not predicting a loss, but if the Republicans win at this point it doesn't look like they will do so on the strength of a good candidate.

My favorite of the bunch might be Palenty, but pundits say that he is also pretty boring. Will boring stack up against Palin, Bachmann, Trump, and others that are the exact opposite of boring?
The funny thing is that the list of Republican candidates are really crappy, and yet they all have very healthy chances against Obama. What does that say about Obama?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 01:49 AM

The funny thing is that the list of Republican candidates are really crappy, and yet they all have very healthy chances against Obama. What does that say about Obama?

Nothing. There are plenty of ideologues on both sides that will vote for their guy no matter what. Kerry, a weak candidate, managed to not defeat Bush despite having ample opportunity to do so.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:58 AM

Kerry was a strong candidate. A distinguished, learned, aristocratic US Senator who served in the military.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:01 AM

Kerry was a strong candidate. A distinguished, learned, aristocratic US Senator who served in the military.

And nobody liked. You don't win over swing voters, which is the object of every election, without charisma.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 02:10 AM

Don't count out Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D. He's an old pro at shutting down Washington, after all. Against that group, he looks quite good!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:20 AM

He's a businessman and celebrity. A bit flamboyant, but he knows how to make money, and he speaks his mind.

Obama is the worst of all possible worlds-- Attorney, Academic, Activist. In other words, he has never had a real job, never earned a dollar, never cut a deal. It doesn't get worse than that..

I don't understand how knowing how to make money in the private sector translates into being a good president? You don't have to understand a whole range of economic theories or be versed in the history of economics in this country to make money in the private sector. Running a company and running the country's economy are two totally separate, virtually unrelated jobs.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 02:21 AM

I don't understand how knowing how to make money in the private sector translates into being a good president? You don't have to understand a whole range of economic theories or be versed in the history of economics in this country to make money in the private sector. Running a company and running the country's economy are two totally separate, virtually unrelated jobs.
Trump's also been bankrupt, which is experience we probably need in a President in the coming years.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Don't count out Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D. He's an old pro at shutting down Washington, after all. Against that group, he looks quite good!

True! His opponent better not try getting a blowjob and lying about it either!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:25 AM

But does Trump care about The Children?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:28 AM

Running a company and running the country's economy are two totally separate, virtually unrelated jobs.
For one, he may understand that the government doesn't and should not try to actually "run the economy".

Also, they are not totally unrelated, one is just a more complicated version of the other. The idea that a national economy is fundamentally different than a private one is a falsehood spread by those who prefer central controls.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:33 AM

I thought conservatives hate rich celebrity elitist who brag about their college education? Isn't that what Trump is?

Number of Trump bankruptcies.

Yup, Trump does have lots of experiences with bankruptcies. He can sell off the US to the banks and China.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
For one, he may understand that the government doesn't and should not try to actually "run the economy".
If you really believe that any savvy politician thinks that the government can micromanage the economy, I think that this rhetoric can be deemed as successful in convincing you accordingly. I hope you realize that this is just rhetoric?

Also, they are not totally unrelated, one is just a more complicated version of the other. The idea that a national economy is fundamentally different than a private one is a falsehood spread by those who prefer central controls.
Does a private company receive taxes, print money, or have to regulate stuff outside of that company? I don't know how you would define "fundamentally", but they are radically different. The strawman about preference to central controls was not necessary, I'm just making a pretty obvious objective point here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:06 AM

Nice job, failing to attempt to rebut anything in my post. You Obama guys are masterful debaters!
I don't give a shit about whether Obama was an activist, or whether Trump can make money, I care about their policy.

Trump hasn't presented any policy. Your claim he could not be worse isn't based on anything relevant.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 04:04 AM

If you really believe that any savvy politician thinks that the government can micromanage the economy, I think that this rhetoric can be deemed as successful in convincing you accordingly. I hope you realize that this is just rhetoric?
I didn't say micromanage. I said "run".

Yes, I believe that there are many in office and who would aspire to run who believe that the government does and should "run" the economy.

Like Obama said: "Only government can fix this..."

I don't know how you would define "fundamentally", but they are radically different.
It's not how I would define fundamentally, it has a specific definition. As in, underlying principles. They are no different, one is just more complicated.

The fundamental principles concerning the effects of spending, savings, credit, profits etc. do not change. The only real difference is how many variables there are.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 10:27 AM

Could he possibly be a worse president than Obama ?

I'd like to see that.

-t
There are MANY conservatives who would be better presidents than Obama. I don't think Trump is one of them.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 11:03 AM

It's going to be irrelevant as to who runs on the Republican side. People are waking up and realizing they're being sold down the drain for the benefit of a select few.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It's going to be irrelevant as to who runs on the Republican side. People are waking up and realizing they're being sold down the drain for the benefit of a select few.
Perhaps true, but the wrong Republcan president will sell the people down the drain for the benefit of a different select few.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 11:19 AM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 12:12 PM

So far, that certainly seems to be the case.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:29 PM

Wow, sudden realization that Obama is not the Messiah?

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:47 PM

Wow, sudden realization that Obama is not the Messiah?

-t
Please pay attention; I said a long time ago that I'm very disappointed in him. He's not progressive enough!

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:16 PM

Oh hell, in what kind of parallel universe do you live in?

Obama failed because of his stupid progressive ideas that don't work. You really think that more FAIL would have made him better?

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 03:50 PM

Oh hell, in what kind of parallel universe do you live in?

Obama failed because of his stupid progressive ideas that don't work. You really think that more FAIL would have made him better?

-t
Please. He's just another George Bush, and has no progressive ideas at all. He's surrounded himself with the same people that got this country into a mess, and it isn't there because of progressivism. I often wonder what universe you live in as well.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:07 PM

Please. He's just another George Bush, and has no progressive ideas at all. He's surrounded himself with the same people that got this country into a mess, and it isn't there because of progressivism. I often wonder what universe you live in as well.
I don't disagree with what you say. In some areas (foreign wars, Guantanamo), Obama has been nothing but a clone. And I don't think the Republicans have the right ideas about there either.

In other areas (economy), more progressive would be a huge disaster.
I don't want the Republican "idea" of capitalism either, since both parties have long been corrupted by Wall Street and big banks. Both parties have no f*cking clue about how to balance the budget and to create a government hat lives within its means.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:10 PM

Both parties have no f*cking clue about how to balance the budget and to create a government hat lives within its means.

-t

You've said this a few times, you know.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:15 PM

You've said this a few times, you know.
So what ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:19 PM

So what ?

-t

So, I'm entertaining as hell, and I work hard at it. I feel it is my moral responsibility to this community. Yours, is to at least attempt to entertain me, the most important member here.

You fail at being entertaining. Try harder next time.

freudling
Banned
Apr 10, 2011, 04:28 PM

So, I'm entertaining as hell, and I work hard at it. I feel it is my moral responsibility to this community. Yours, is to at least attempt to entertain me, the most important member here.

pretentious |priˈtenCHəs|
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:33 PM

freudling: dictionary definitions are not very entertaining. You too need to work a little harder, I think.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:35 PM

Why don't YOU entertain us by performing an anatomically impossible act on yourself.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:42 PM

Why don't YOU entertain us by performing an anatomically impossible act on yourself.

-t

You would make a horrible Care Bear.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 04:45 PM

What is everyone's favorite Van Halen song?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 05:07 PM

Trump: "This country is going to hell"

No, you moron, the US has been in much worse shape many, many times before. Anyone who so ridiculously catastrophizes the current situation is too fncking stupid to be president.

Anyone who is a birther is too fncking stupid to be president.

Any silver-spoon blue-blood who has driven several businesses into the ground has no claim whatsoever as an authority on economic matters. If that's his entire claim to being a competent leader, he has no claim at all.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 05:21 PM

Give credit where it is due. He has amassed several billion dollars (Forbes put it at a bit over $2bn). How does a stupid person do that?

Supposing he were stupid, and all of those billions just came to him by mistake, doesn't that put his level of economic know-how on an equal footing with Obama, who has never run a business?

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 05:23 PM

Give credit where it is due. He has amassed several billion dollars (Forbes put it at a bit over $2bn). How does a stupid person do that?
I wish our past presidents would have been that stupid

-t

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2011, 05:33 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:46 AM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 05:36 PM

It's not like Democrats care about the strength of the economy anyways, so this is a non-issue.

If we could create a society with 90% unemployment, where everyone smoked medical marijuana, lived on welfare, drank Boone's Farm, and was a member of a Mexican cartel or gang, only then would Democrats be happy. Until that day comes, they will continue to to expand the government indefinitely while claiming to care about deficits and spending. [/jokes] [but seriously..]

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 05:41 PM

Does a private company receive taxes, print money, or have to regulate stuff outside of that company? I don't know how you would define "fundamentally", but they are radically different.
LOL, unfortunately, yes.

E.g., the TBTF banks.

They receive tax money (Bailouts), print money (reserve banking) and regulate stuff outside by influencing how the governments sets up all kinds of laws and regulation to put smaller banks to a disadvantage.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 06:04 PM

At least Trump's honest about America only giving a shit about the Middle East because of oil and not "freedom for all" bullshit.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 06:38 PM

As hyteckit pointed out, Trump's Achilles' Heel is his multiple bankruptcies. He may counter by claiming the only thing dumber than government safety nets is not using them, but I'm not sure that's going to work. His personal relationships will get demagogued to death by both sides of opposition.

He makes excellent points and has a wealth of policy ideas as put forth in numerous sources of media outside the Daily Show, but some of them are too drastic for the masses and his "no bs" style will quickly come off as merely gaffe-prone.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules