Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Smart Parents :)

Smart Parents :)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 12:51 PM

http://xboxfor100.ytmnd.com/

Yes I know its a post and run but the title sums it up.

Personally I would do the same thing if I had a kid that bad
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 01:00 PM

Class. Good to see a parent follow through with the threat.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 01:03 PM

That's great. I wish more parents would say "no" to their kids when it is appropriate.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 01:07 PM

Pretty funny. The kid definitely shouldn't get the Xbox, but taunting him with a coal filled box will just make him worse. That's just as immature as kicking a stereo, although I can't blame him (the parent) for feeling that way. Still though, made me laugh

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 01:17 PM

I'm starting to think this stuff is fake because every Christmas someone gets on ebay or craigslist to post these "My kid was bad so I'm selling his console" ads.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 01:30 PM

-t

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 01:49 PM

I'd rather say that the parents suck at rising a child. Does anybody think the kid will actually learn something when it gets an xbox box full of charocal?

I like the Cartman song, though…

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 01:59 PM

They'd have been smarter had they never had kids.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 02:04 PM

IMHO, you are teaching the child nothing by filling the XBOX 360 box with coal (funny yes, good parenting... I'm not so sure)... I would return the XBOX and go buy a TON of $20 gifts and take them to a local orphanage.

Instead of "getting back" at the kid... perhaps show the kid how lucky he really is.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 02:29 PM

Getting coal is a traditional thing that bad children get so it is quite appropriate at Christmas.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 03:50 PM

Beyond the fact that he is a spoiled kid, imagine him at xmas night, unwrapping the xbox box only to find coal.
Then dad comes along "Well son, you've been a bad boy this year: you are a spoiled brat and you treat your mother like crap. So we decided to teach you a lesson, enjoy your coal, sport."
That will be one bitter xmas.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 04:04 PM

That's f-----g cruel. This is something that's going to stick with the kid for a LONG time. A very, VERY long time.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 04:17 PM

funny, but i can see where the kid gets his attitude - i'm sure he will learn alot - not

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 04:19 PM

To me, as a parent, that ad reads "I can't handle my own kid, so I'm going to treat him like sh*t".

The parents probably feed the kids tons of sugar, leading to pissy fits. We control the amount of sugar our kids have because it leads to that kind of behavior. Also, their kid may have some kind of disorder.

Either way, that guys a total dirtbag for doing that to his kid.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 04:54 PM

In a weird way I enjoyed that song.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 04:54 PM

Delayed punishment doesn’t work well with children. “Yeah, sorry, that Xbox we were giving you... you had a fit three weeks ago, so we decided not to give it to you after all, and not tell you about it, either. Sorry kiddo. Better luck next time.” Rubbish.

Taking the Xbox away from him is fine—but tell him so immediately. After one of his kick-the-stereo outbursts, tell him that’s it: he’s not getting that Xbox at all now, and he’s got his own behaviour to blame.

he parents probably feed the kids tons of sugar, leading to pissy fits. We control the amount of sugar our kids have because it leads to that kind of behavior. Also, their kid may have some kind of disorder.
That’s an awful lot of conjecture for such a small amount of information. My parents never really controlled how much sugar I got (apart from having only one candy day per week), but by the time I was old enough that an Xbox would even have been in the picture (say, about 10, at least—kids younger than that shouldn’t be given things like Xboxes to begin with), I had definitely learned that sugar or no sugar, such behaviour as kicking the stereos and having hissy fits was not tolerated; not in the house, not in society in general.

Any-ol’-how, this is quite likely a spoof, as MallyMal said. There are just too many of these stories surfacing every Christmas. Plus, I don’t really think anyone who would do something so obviously born out of a malignant desire to be cruel to and inflict pain in their own child as these people allegedly are would be the kind of parents who would be buying their son an Xbox in the first place. The two don’t fit.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 04:58 PM

I'd really like to know how this kid kicked a stereo. My stereo's 3 feet off the ground. Did the kid kick the stereo or the stereo CABINET?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by starman
I'd really like to know how this kid kicked a stereo. My stereo's 3 feet off the ground. Did the kid kick there stereo or the stereo CABINET?
Our old stereo was no more than about one and a half foot off the ground. When I was around ten, I could kick at least four feet in the air.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 05:00 PM

I applaud the parents for selling the XBox; in their shoes I'd probably do the same thing. However, surprising your kid with coal on Christmas isn't cool. Seriously.

Sell the XBox, by all means. Have someone pick it up at the house, and make the kid watch as the buyer takes it away, and let him know why you sold it. Again, in their shoes this is probably what I would do. But the coal thing is just plain going too far.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 05:01 PM

I still think it's cruel. This kid's going to resent his parents for a long, long time.

EDIT: What Mil said ^^. The coal is too far.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 05:11 PM

That'll learn 'em.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 05:13 PM

To me, as a parent, that ad reads "I can't handle my own kid, so I'm going to treat him like sh*t".

The parents probably feed the kids tons of sugar, leading to pissy fits. We control the amount of sugar our kids have because it leads to that kind of behavior. Also, their kid may have some kind of disorder.

Either way, that guys a total dirtbag for doing that to his kid.

I can't really comment on this since I'm only 20 y/o but it seems to me that parents these days (young parents) are totally crap parents that can't control their children anymore. It happens more and more it seems. Way too much spoiled children in the world. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 05:24 PM

Spoiled f**kin brats, I threw a fit, once, my dad slapped me across the face (not very hard) and I learned.

I agree that this will most likely do no good for the child. I am assuming his misbehavior goes far past what is described in the writeup. As far as I am concerned they should have told him he wasn't going to get an xBox at all for Xmass because he is such a brat. Kids who are not brats already don't usually just act like a fool all of a sudden at X-mas.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sarc
Then dad comes along "Well son, you've been a bad boy this year: you are a spoiled brat and you treat your mother like crap. So we decided to teach you a lesson, enjoy your coal, sport."
That will be one bitter xmas.

ice

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I applaud the parents for selling the XBox; in their shoes I'd probably do the same thing. However, surprising your kid with coal on Christmas isn't cool. Seriously.

Sell the XBox, by all means. Have someone pick it up at the house, and make the kid watch as the buyer takes it away, and let him know why you sold it. Again, in their shoes this is probably what I would do. But the coal thing is just plain going too far.
Agreed. Telling the kid right away that the XBox was going to get sold and making him watch as the buyer took it away would be far more appropriate. The coal thing is just spiteful... it's like the adult version of throwing a tantrum and kicking stuff.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 06:04 PM

I would hate my parents forEvar if they did that to me. What a shitty son. The music is awesome.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 06:08 PM

I would tell him that he's not getting the XBox, right away, and then stash it away for a moment of super positive reinforcement. When he works really hard to get the good grade, or does something really great... pull it out and surprise him.

ImpulseResponse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
I would tell him that he's not getting the XBox, right away, and then stash it away for a moment of super positive reinforcement. When he works really hard to get the good grade, or does something really great... pull it out and surprise him.
Best idea so far.

That way there is both negative and positive reinforcement for his actions.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 07:15 PM

I applaud the parents for what they're doing. I think they need to tell him right now that he's not getting his Xbox 360 because of his behavior. Not hold out until Christmas. Then when he really doesn't get his Xbox, he'll understand that it was directly related to his behavior.

I don't think that these parents are bad parents at all. How a chile acts does not necessarily related to how good of parents he did or did not have. Go through history, find actions that people did, and blame it on their parents. No, That's stupid...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 07:41 PM

My kids destroyed their DS. I told them that they weren't getting a new one until they pay for it themselves and do chores around the house. They worked their asses off and I got them a new one and NOW they understand the value of something; they're taking MUCH better care of it now than they did before.

Those parents are assh*les. They're not teaching their kids anything except how to be cruel.

Mike

The Mick
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 08:58 PM

My kids destroyed their DS. I told them that they weren't getting a new one until they pay for it themselves and do chores around the house. They worked their asses off and I got them a new one and NOW they understand the value of something; they're taking MUCH better care of it now than they did before.

Those parents are assh*les. They're not teaching their kids anything except how to be cruel.

Mike
WEWT! Nicely done.

I agree, those parents (if real) are just being dicks and it won't serve any purpose other than the galvanize the child against them further. A simple cause/effect exchange is all that is needed. Vengance is not a good example to set. Many people here are not parents and simply don't understand how difficult it can be.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ism
Getting coal is a traditional thing that bad children get so it is quite appropriate at Christmas.
Did you ever actually get coal as a child? I did once. It was just a joke, and I knew it was just a joke. It was kind of hard not to know that, given the multitude of other presents I got that year. I didn't even believe in Santa Claus by that point. But that knowledge didn't make it any funnier, or any easier to take. Years later, my relatives still apologize whenever the story comes up. We all laugh about it now -yes, even me- but it took me almost eighteen years to get to the point where I could do that. And this was all over a joke, not sincere revenge like this kid's parents are planning.

To a child growing up around the common stories of Santa Claus, to get coal on Christmas is physical evidence of cosmic forces rejecting you as a person. To use a religious metaphor, forget the fundamentalists; it would be like God Himself coming down from on high to tell you to your face that you're going to Hell. Even if you didn't believe in Hell, that would hurt, and it would hurt terribly.

Seriously. Taking rejection -arguably the most deep-seated fear in the human psyche- and escalating it to a cosmic level is not something any remotely decent parent does to their own child (or frankly, to anyone else's). Even joking about it just isn't something anyone should be doing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 12:04 AM

Mil, you should send that ^^ to the email in the ad.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 12:22 AM

Maybe the kid needs that sort of rejection. Maybe he is just that bad. Some parents send their kids off to special camps for anger management, these parents are just trying their own thing. It could be worse. Clearly none of us know the exact situation with the kid and the family, but for a parent to do this sort of thing we have to imagine that the situation isn't very good.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 12:36 AM

Just remember, not only is he doing this to his kid, he's making it known WORLDWIDE.

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 04:23 AM

yeah, that is unnecessarily harsh.

Although if it hasn't been stressed enough, that kid is DAMN F*CKING STUPID. Okay, you KNOW that you're going to get a kick ass present, and you throw a f*cking fit beacuse you can't get it early??? AHH!! Thats iNSANE!!

If I were the parents I would take the kid with me while I return the thing, and do what someone suggested--use the dough to donate gifts to charity. I'd take the kid along for that too. And I'd save a few bucks of that to get the kid a Bible and teach him the real meaning of Christmas.

how sad, how sad...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 05:01 AM

Pfff, you're all to soft. He should have had the coal for Christmas (Videoed for prosperity) and 20 lashings at the time for punishment. Nowt wrong with a bit of belting.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 05:09 AM

If the parents were truly smart they'd sell the unit for the sum they paid for it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
If the parents were truly smart they'd sell the unit for the sum they paid for it.
You have a good point. I do remember that news clip about the girls in Boston (I think) who were willing to do certain... favors... for an XBox 360...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
If I were the parents I would take the kid with me while I return the thing, and do what someone suggested--use the dough to donate gifts to charity. I'd take the kid along for that too. And I'd save a few bucks of that to get the kid a Bible and teach him the real meaning of Christmas.
Hmm. I like that idea, but now that I think about it, you can do even better. Donate the XBox360 to Child's Play (a nonprofit which distributes video games to children's hospitals) in the kid's name. Sick kids somewhere get to play the XBox360, and our little friend here gets lessons in both compassion and consequence. Best of all possible worlds.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Hmm. I like that idea, but now that I think about it, you can do even better. Donate the XBox360 to Child's Play (a nonprofit which distributes video games to children's hospitals) in the kid's name. Sick kids somewhere get to play the XBox360, and our little friend here gets lessons in both compassion and consequence. Best of all possible worlds.

I made the original suggestion to give it away... but my idea was to sell the Xbox, and go with the child to a local store, pick out a bunch of $20 gifts and pass them out during the holiday so that the child can see the happiness his $20 gift can give. [no need to tell anyone why you are giving the gifts away... no "I'm teaching you a lesson" BS. Just tell him that he didn't deserve the gift and that you are taking it back and donating the gift to children that are in need.

Filling the box with coal or having it simply disappear doesn't do much... IMHO.

I guess I grew up in an environment where Christmas was about being thankful for having gifts to give... as well as receive.

Just my 2¢

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 03:33 PM

Anyone know if this was real, or just someone trying to pawn a 360 that "fell off a truck"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules