Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guys - Doing much to improve your appearance?

Guys - Doing much to improve your appearance?
OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 12:21 PM

I've got male friends who regularly get stuff waxed and plucked. One had a course of botox injections (yikes!) before he got married because he wanted to look good on his wedding photos. More than one has confessed to using a tanning booth! I noticed that H&M, a big high street clothing shop here in the UK, has started selling eyeliner for men...

I've been an openly moisturising man since I was around 14. I don't shave, I just trim the hair on my head and face to the same length and I've noticed that a stubbly chin can hang onto unsightly dead skin - not a good look. So In recent years, on the advice of the various women in my life, I've been "exfoliating" too.

I don't imagine we can keep sexuality out of this thread, so I'll just ask. Gay guys - I imagine you have slightly less hang-ups about this sort of thing? Impart on us your knowledge...

Even MacNN has spruced itself up recently. So, come on then, no one knows your name here, so spill it - What's your morning regime like? Sneaking off for any "treatments"?
tin pot, garden shed

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:25 PM

I hang out with fat ugly people, so I look like George Clooney by comparison.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 12:26 PM

I rarely shave, I shower everyday, I wear deodorant, and brush my teeth. That's about it. I used to go tanning, and I wish I had the time to do that again, because I liked tanning in the winter. Getting some of that 'summer sunshine' does a body good... you just feel all warm and fuzzy for a few days. I also like tanning right before summer, so I get a bit of color so I don't burn myself into oblivion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2007, 12:30 PM

Uh…no. I pat myself on the back just for using a shampoo+conditioner.

Then again, my country doesn't believe eyeliner is for men at all, so maybe it's a cultural thing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 12:31 PM

I use Vichy products and trim down there, good enough for the people I date

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:34 PM

Shave daily, moisturize and exfoliate, keep my skin clean with astringent when needed. Pluck to keep the uni-brow at bay, deodorant daily (is this even an option) and cologne (obsession or CKone) almost daily.

Whiten teeth monthly and keep any weird hairs off my arms, ears, nose, etc... as well.

Keep my privates trimmed up a bit too, not bald or anything but perhaps a #2

I DO bite my nails and wish I didn't so I could get a manicure monthly.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
I've been an openly moisturising man since I was around 14
what's this got to do with looking good? [/chuckle]

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:37 PM

Well I don't wear any makeup but other than that I am a bit of a personal hygiene princess.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:37 PM

I keep finding myself with lipstick on my penis.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:38 PM

I use an electric beard trimmer to shave down to a short stubble on my face once or twice a week, and once a month or once every two months I pluck the center of my eyebrows. I don't have a unibrow, but hair does grow there and I don't like it.
I trim down there once every few weeks.

All of this with the regular showers, teeth brushing, etc.

OB1  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
what's this got to do with looking good? [/chuckle]
I didn't say i looked good. The moisturising is purely for comfort.
tin pot, garden shed

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
You haven't figured out yet that you're supposed to put it on your mouth and not your penis?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
You haven't figured out yet that you're supposed to put it on your mouth and not your penis?
details, details.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 12:48 PM

I had a gay friend ask me if I was going to put on makeup for the bar. I was like.. What!? He said EVERYONE puts at least foundation on. I was like... uhh... no thanks. If anything I like the less soft look so.

That said, I make an effort to dress well, I have no need to pluck my eye brows. I make an effort to work out regularly. I use a luffa to sluff off dead skin. I don't moisturize mainly because I don't like the way it makes my skin feel right when I put it on. I really should though.

Yose
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 12:50 PM

I goto Truefitt & Hill, a gentlemans barber shop. Best thing I do every few weeks.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

OB1  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I had a gay friend ask me if I was going to put on makeup for the bar. I was like.. What!? He said EVERYONE puts at least foundation on. I was like... uhh... no thanks. If anything I like the less soft look so.

That said, I make an effort to dress well, I have no need to pluck my eye brows. I make an effort to work out regularly. I use a luffa to sluff off dead skin. I don't moisturize mainly because I don't like the way it makes my skin feel right when I put it on. I really should though.
Dude, there's a whole world of moisturiser out there these days. Sounds like you should try moisturising lotion, it's usualy lighter than cremes. "Mattifying" is also a good word to look for...
( Last edited by OB1; Feb 2, 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot)
tin pot, garden shed

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

I had a gay friend ask me if I was going to put on makeup for the bar. I was like.. What!? He said EVERYONE puts at least foundation on.
My lord what kind of bars are you going to?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

Blue Oyster.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Blue Oyster.
That crowed seemed a bit more mustache and leather not makeup foundation.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:22 PM

That's accurate, but I never miss an opportunity to mention it.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 01:25 PM

"She wasn't wearing lipstick, her lips were just red-shifted"

Anyhow, Shower/Shave(sometimes)/brushteef/deoderant/, I do have a ear and nose hair trimmer, sometimes wear cologne.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 01:38 PM

Been shaving between the eyebrows forever, fortunately only needs it once per month. I keep a beard because I hate shaving, keep it trimmed close because I hate bushy beards. Long hair but trimmed enough so that I don't look exactly like Jesus.

Did I mention that I apply lipstick and eyeliner to my penis? So cute.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 02:04 PM

I shower almost every day, and when I do I use soap. I shave roughly once a week.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 02:21 PM

I shower once a month, needed or not.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 02:42 PM

I don't moisturize mainly because I don't like the way it makes my skin feel right when I put it on. I really should though.
Try cetaphil lotion, it doesn't have the greasy feel and is very light unlike some that are on the market.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I shower once a month, needed or not.
Are Kevin and Kevin Moon related?

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 02:49 PM

No, I believe Moon is a bessonite.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:35 PM

My wife sells Body Shop at Home products, so my routine has gone from a simple soap and shampoo shower to some much more extensive measures.

Now I use an exfoliating scrub towel and tea tree oil soap to help with my occasional body acne. Then I use a body wash. Three times a week, I use a facial scrub. Every day I use a face wash. I also use an antibiotic hand soap to clean my nipple piercing.

Out of the shower, I use a face protectant, which is essentially a moisturizer with some sun block. If my wife is around when I'm getting out of the shower, she puts some unscented lotion on my back, which helps with the dry skin that comes with living in Montana.

Hair-wise, I practically shave my head every couple of weeks (I leave a "one" guard on the trimmer.) Now that I have a regular job again after two years of self-employment, I'll have to increase shaving occurrences. But I have been shaving only about twice a week. And trimming my goatee. I also use the beard trimmer to trim and shape my eyebrows since they have a tendency to grow like crazy.

There is the occasional body hair trimming when I feel it is needed. I'm pretty hairy, so there is no way I could pull off the body shaving thing. Besides, I like being a manly man. That's what my wife calls me anyway.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 04:02 PM

I shower once or twice a day, depending on physical activity. Suave shampoo and conditioner. Deodorant. Very occasionally some Axe. I've had the same can for the past 4 years, so I really don't use it much. I'll occasionally use mousse or a styling paste. I haven't much lately due to having shaggier hair, but I just got it cut so we'll see what happens. I never had much acne in high school, and even less now, just an occasional zit jumping up, so I have some facewash to use when that happens.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 06:18 PM

[/end thread]

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

bhamblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 06:25 PM

There's taking care of yourself, and then there is having glistening fingernails and five types of styling gel. Perhaps I'm feeding into a stereotype, but men need to stink now and then. Ever-present perfect grooming or surgery to ensure the best look just seems out of place for dudes.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 06:38 PM

Gym 5 - 6 times a week, bathe daily (or every other day in a pinch), I do not wear deoderant (don't really trust the stuff), try to eat right and watch the fried stuff, and limit my alcohol intake ... also do not smoke.

Think I look pretty decent for 41. (Picture in profile).

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
I've got male friends who regularly get stuff waxed and plucked. One had a course of botox injections (yikes!) before he got married because he wanted to look good on his wedding photos. More than one has confessed to using a tanning booth! I noticed that H&M, a big high street clothing shop here in the UK, has started selling eyeliner for men...

I've been an openly moisturising man since I was around 14. I don't shave, I just trim the hair on my head and face to the same length and I've noticed that a stubbly chin can hang onto unsightly dead skin - not a good look. So In recent years, on the advice of the various women in my life, I've been "exfoliating" too.

I don't imagine we can keep sexuality out of this thread, so I'll just ask. Gay guys - I imagine you have slightly less hang-ups about this sort of thing? Impart on us your knowledge...

Even MacNN has spruced itself up recently. So, come on then, no one knows your name here, so spill it - What's your morning regime like? Sneaking off for any "treatments"?
Yeah, see, those are not gays, but Metro Sexuals... But I call them gays just to piss them off...

Parvez
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 07:46 PM

LOL - eyeliners for men? eww, no!

I use Axe (Touch) and Versace BlueJeans perfume. It depends where I am going. As usual, I brush my teeth always and take a shower and wear good clothes.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 07:49 PM

Can't bring myself to shaving my stuff. If my mate don't like it, he's never complained.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Yeah, see, those are not gays, but Metro Sexuals...
That's like saying, "It's not a fruit, it's an apple."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ryan1524
Senior User
Feb 4, 2007, 03:10 AM

I use that puff thingy in the shower, seems to work wonders for my skin, then there's the face scrub, and the shave every couple of days. Nothing fancy, but I'm definitely doing more than my roommate who basically has the same bar soap for his face and body, and a shampoo for hair. I guess his genetics keeps his skin clearer by nature.

My gay housemate has his washroom lined with everything from organic clay face mask to exfoliants to oatmeal soaps to a few different kinds of face wash. Awesome eh. maybe I should ask him for tips.
Ryan

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
. Every day I use a face wash. I also use an antibiotic hand soap to clean my nipple piercing.
Now that we didn't need to know.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 10:41 AM

Guess it takes all kinds.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro View Post
I do not wear deoderant (don't really trust the stuff)
You don't wear deodorant and you live in Houston?!?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yup.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 12:01 PM

Glad this new forum doesn't have smellovision™

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 12:07 PM

I don't wear deodorant either - I just wash at least once a day. Deodorant irritates my skin. I don't use any hair products. I keep my beard fairly trimmed, but it sometimes gets a little wooly. I get my haircut at the barbershop about every six weeks. Absolutely do NOT wear/use/whatever any type of makeup products. I believe in being a man. BTW, I'm very gay – at the very least a Kinsey 7.

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 12:07 PM

It's going to be really awkward if MacNN holds a meet and people have to wear nametags.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 12:11 PM

I use that gel deodorant. It seems to do well.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 12:13 PM

I'm a pretty grungy guy. I go out looking like I slept in an alley fairly regularly. Don't shower every day. Hell, every other day isn't a regular occurrence for me. Frequently I forget to wear deodorant or comb my hair. I have no problem wearing old (outer) clothes that are worn and torn. Shave a couple times a week.

So the answer would be, No.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 12:31 PM

I... pulled... up to the house about 7 or 8
and I yelled to houstonmacbro,
"Yo, Homes, smell ya later!"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 PM

I would NEVER want to attract someone that thought it was cool, or even OK for me to be wearing eyeliner or makeup. Never, ever, ever...

I'm not advocating being a slob, but I draw the line somewhere around moisturizers.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 PM

Just becasue one doesn't use deodorant doesn't mean one smells bad. All you have to do is wash.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
Just becasue one doesn't use deodorant doesn't mean one smells bad. All you have to do is wash.
It was just a joke. That being said, the excessive and oppressive humidity in Houston makes it hard to stay dry and nice-smelling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules