Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > windshield wiper questions...

windshield wiper questions...
macfantn
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 11:17 AM

bought new wipers for my 06 civic 4 dr few months back from the dealer which is far from my house. They aren't working so well. may just go to autozone and purchase some replacement blades easier than hauling across town. can anyone recommend a good brand? the ones I have now leave steraks and miss parts of the window.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 11:22 AM

Did you buy just the wiper blade replacements? Or the rubber part and the existing honda wiper arm supports, the part that the rubber blade is attached to?

If you bought whole new units, woops. You probably won't find wiper arms as nice as the factory ones, honda does little things like adding aerofoils to the stockers so they stay against your window at highway speeds. But no matter, my car had crap wipers when I got it too. I suggest spending a bit more money, and buying the "bosch microedge excel" wipers with supports, if you don't have the factory ones anymore. They have a really nice blade, and more importantly, the wiper supports are full of holes to allow air to slip through them, so they don't chatter at high speeds.

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 11:26 AM

Anco or Bosch? To be honest, I see them as commodity, so I just usually look for the one's thats on sale?

If they're streaking... maybe check to make sure there isn't any crud on them? I know sometimes I get the same thing.. but just running my finger across the wiper blades will do it.... No idea about missing part of the window though... too long? Or maybe the blade is too stiff to curve with the windshield?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2007, 11:28 AM

Link

PIAA silicone wipers. They coat the windscreen, so water beads off and you get better rain visibility. I know several people on other car forums who have fitted them, and all have recommended them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Link

PIAA silicone wipers. They coat the windscreen, so water beads off and you get better rain visibility. I know several people on other car forums who have fitted them, and all have recommended them.
I hate that company... never tried their wipers, but man is all their stuff overpriced. $100 for headlight bulbs? Yeah, okay.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

Bosch and make sure they're the correct length.
ice

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 11:35 AM

On a similar topic, the windshield fluid is no longer squirting when I hit the clean button. The blades do their thing, but nothing at all comes out of the nozzle. Ideas?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 11:45 AM

Uh.... add wiper fluid. Duh.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
On a similar topic, the windshield fluid is no longer squirting when I hit the clean button. The blades do their thing, but nothing at all comes out of the nozzle. Ideas?
You need a new vehicle.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 PM

How long ago is "a few months ago?" I replace mine after they are no longer than six months old. Here in MI, it's harder on the wipers than in a warmer climate, as we obviously get a lot of ice and snow. I also had to drive on a dirt road daily for a few miles, up until recently, which is also tougher on the blades. I replace the whole blade assembly, and have used Anco brand for the last few years.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 12:53 PM

Wow, that's really wasteful. Usually a good cleaning of the blades with a coarse paper towel makes them new again. And you replace the whole assembly each time? Way to waste materials. The wiper supports are fine. In fact, I just spray mine once a year with some grill paint, and they always look new.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Feb 22, 2007, 01:08 PM

Streak marks? Gees, stop moaning... when I bothered with a vehicle, the wipers would constantly get stuck in a vertical position.

Course, the real downside to this was that I'd only find out they'd gone wrong again when I really needed them ...many journey's were spent with my head outside the window in the rain I can tell thee.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2007, 02:10 PM

Lift your bonnet and see if they work, occasionally the pipe will get kinked on our car, could have happened on yours. Otherwise, check your wiper fluid isn't empty.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 02:30 PM

Gunk can get lodged in the tiny spray nozzle opening too. I cleaned a few out with a very fine sewing needle, did the trick.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Wow, that's really wasteful. Usually a good cleaning of the blades with a coarse paper towel makes them new again. And you replace the whole assembly each time? Way to waste materials. The wiper supports are fine. In fact, I just spray mine once a year with some grill paint, and they always look new.
I'm glad that your paper towel technique magically makes the wiper blade edges pit free and smooth again; I wasn't aware that paper towels had the capability of rejuvenating rubber surfaces, but now that I know that, I'll never buy wiper blades again.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 02:35 PM

Winter usually ruins a set per year so I don't see any harm in replacing the blade when it stops functioning.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 02:46 PM

It's full.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Gunk can get lodged in the tiny spray nozzle opening too. I cleaned a few out with a very fine sewing needle, did the trick.
That's usually the result of incompetent fools attempting to wax a car.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
I'm glad that your paper towel technique magically makes the wiper blade edges pit free and smooth again; I wasn't aware that paper towels had the capability of rejuvenating rubber surfaces, but now that I know that, I'll never buy wiper blades again.
Dude, you said you buy the WHOLE assembly every six months. Why not just buy the damn refills? Is there anything wrong with the wiper supports at all? Probably not. And yes, wiping hard on the rubber can make them smooth again... most of the time it's just a layer of older, dried out 'oxidized' rubber covering some fresh stuff. A simple firm wipe is all it takes to restore wiper performance, in most cases. I only replace them if they start to tear.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Winter usually ruins a set per year so I don't see any harm in replacing the blade when it stops functioning.
Me neither. But it's dumb to replace the whole thing. Just buy the refill. Save a metal tree.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:08 PM

It's full.
1. Is it the good 'winter' variety fluid? Or the regular blue cheap stuff? Splurge and spend the extra dollar on the purple insane de-icer kind.

2. When you press your spray button, do you hear a 'whir'? Try it with the car NOT running but in the run position (all accessories and everything are on). If you hear a whir, at least your pump is still okay.

3. Pop the hood. Find the pump. Trace the hose from the pump to your sprayers. It might have popped off a nipple, kinked, or broken. If you need to fix it, I suggest a nylon double nipple thing with barbs on it. Throw that on both ends of the broken hose, and cover with heatshrink tubing.

andi*pandi
Feb 22, 2007, 07:32 PM

is it very very cold out? are they frozen? if, like rob said, you use the cheap stuff, it may not have enough anti-freeze in it. They sell little gel packs of wiper fluid super anti-freeze you can add to the tank instead of draining it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2007, 10:15 AM

Beat me to it!

I'd also make sure the jets weren't clogged, and that the tubing was clean and not kinked or blocked.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2007, 04:53 PM

The Mick
Senior User
Feb 23, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I have those on both of my vehicles. They work very well for rain and light to medium winter weather. The only problem I've had is also their main benefit; they are flexible along their entire length which lets them conform to the shape of the glass very well, but if you get any buildups of ice at the bottom or the side of the windscreen during a snowstorm, they easily ride up on top of the ice instead of scraping it off. Again, that only happened during a couple of heavy snowfalls and was easily fixed by scraping the offending ice chunk off at the next stop light with my ice scraper.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2007, 05:54 PM

How long do those last you? For $20/blade that seems like a real rip. I tried the rain-x ones recently and they suck (a lot of chattering & smearing). Ill try the Bosh micro ones next time.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Beat me to it!

I'd also make sure the jets weren't clogged, and that the tubing was clean and not kinked or blocked.
Ugh, that reminds me, I have to declog my right jet on my car. It clogs up every winter. Really annoying. The left one's fine though.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 24, 2007, 10:56 AM

Hmmm... Replace or clean the nozzles?
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules