Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best place to buy sunglasses?

Best place to buy sunglasses?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 09:16 PM

I am looking for a pair of Ray-Bans. All I know is the Sunglass Hut. Is there somewhere else to look? I thought about ebay but don't want to end up with fake Ray-Bans.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 27, 2010, 10:14 PM

Um, don't? Just hit up Zumies, Target, and Marshalls. You'll find awesome stuff for less than $20. I have about 15 pairs of ridiculous shades.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2010, 10:27 PM

Sunglasses are so fragile and scratch quickly. I don't bother with anything expensive anymore, just $20 on some decent aviators at a retailer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 02:05 AM

Ray-Bans are overrated. Timeless classics though they may offer, the optical quality of their glasses has gone to shit over the past two decades. And that's what makes a huge difference to the wearer.

Quoth my favorite optician - which is definitely THE BEST place to buy shades.

He sold me a pair of Maui Jim's. While the build quality isn't the very best (but certainly good), the optical quality of their polarized glass is spectacular and makes for extremely relaxed viewing. They have a life-long warranty on the sidepieces, which includes breakage through stepping on them or whatever.

The other thing is that I really don't get why people spend hundreds on something they've obviously never tried on, as the name alone doesn't guarantee it won't look like shit on their nose.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 04:08 AM

I bought my latest pair at LensCrafters when they were running a 2-for-1 deal. Real glass lenses, solid frames, and they fit perfectly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

parsley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2010, 05:04 AM

Ray-Bans are overrated. Timeless classics though they may offer, the optical quality of their glasses has gone to shit over the past two decades. And that's what makes a huge difference to the wearer.
This.

If you are going to spend some money on sunglasses: OAKLEY. Lenses matter, anything else is a fad.
With Great Routers Comes Great Responsibility

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2010, 05:10 AM

OAKLEY and Ray-Bans are owned by the same company.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Sunglasses are so fragile and scratch quickly. I don't bother with anything expensive anymore, just $20 on some decent aviators at a retailer.
It's like anything else, they'll last if you take care of them. I have a pair of wayfarers I bought in 1990 or 91 that are still in good condition and still get worn.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
He sold me a pair of Maui Jim's. While the build quality isn't the very best (but certainly good), the optical quality of their polarized glass is spectacular and makes for extremely relaxed viewing. They have a life-long warranty on the sidepieces, which includes breakage through stepping on them or whatever.
The grandfather of my godsons started the company in Lahaina. He is Maui Jim (at least until he snorted the company up his nose and had to sell it to Hester in the 90s). I still get t-shirts and the occasional new pair for my birthday. Their lenses really are phenomenal.
Nemo me impune lacesset

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2010, 11:49 AM

Out of all the glasses i bought over the years my Ray-Bans lasted the longest and the quality was outstanding. all metal in most cases not plastic. I always spend extra for quality polarized lenses due to an eye problem and the polarization on Ray Bans always are the best IMHO
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 01:01 PM

Hasn't been in ages.

The Maui Jim polarized glasses are, apparently, (according to my optician, who would have made more profit off Ray-Bans) way better.

I seriously love mine.

Although the first set of prescription lenses they made me had to be returned due to ever so slight misshaping.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 02:50 PM

I buy 10$ aviators that still offer UV protection.

Then when they invariably get lost or stepped on in three months I don't feel bad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2010, 02:58 PM

What about those HD Sunglasses I keep seeing on TV. The dude in the commercial said, "It makes everything.... POP!" And that old lady near the beach was like, "These look like really expense designer glasses that could go for 2... 3.... even $400." You can't argue with statements like that. And those before and after shots were quite amazing.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2010, 03:23 PM

I used to buy expensive sunglasses, but I kept losing them. Cheap ones I can't seem to lose no matter how hard I try.

Actually, I like to shop the sporting good shops for fishing sunglasses. They tend to have the best polarizing optics at a reasonable cost.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I buy 10$ aviators that still offer UV protection.

Then when they invariably get lost or stepped on in three months I don't feel bad.
Since I need prescription glasses, getting shades involves about $500 for decent glass.

My last pair lasted ten years. (Knock on wood)

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2010, 10:53 AM

walgreen's or cvs. I break or lose too many.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 12:20 PM

Since I need prescription glasses, getting shades involves about $500 for decent glass.

I imagine someone used to taking care of glasses in general would keep sunglasses much longer. I almost always lose or break my sunglasses before winter, and the next time I'll buy a pair is when it gets sunny out again.

In fact I already sat on my current $10 sunglasses, though they remain in fine shape. Here's hoping they last until winter.

finboy
Jun 29, 2010, 12:36 PM

My older RayBans are significantly different from newer ones.

The advice about opticians is worthy - look at closeout frames and put plain, polarized lenses in whatever shade you want in there. Best sunglasses I ever had was a pair of Sergio Tacchini (sp?) with plain lenses off of the "last season" rack. Now if I could just find them...

Cheap has it's place, but I can't stand the distortion.

I've started wearing a cheap pair of full-wrap blueblockers that I picked up in FL a couple of years ago. For the dull haze of early summer sky, they're perfect. And everything is YELLOW. For fishing these would ROCK.

-Q-
Jul 14, 2010, 02:16 PM

Interesting bit of insight into the sunglasses industry:

Are Designer Sunglasses Worth the Price? - WSJ.com

Makes me glad I don't spend too much on them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post

1. The fact that they're made in the same factory is irrelevant - Vivitar camera lenses are (or at least used to be, IIRC) made at the same factory as Zeiss optics, which can cost ten times as much, and are worth it. The difference is in the tolerances.

2. If you're going for brand-conscious designer glasses, OF COURSE you're paying for the name, not the quality. That's why my optician (and now I) recommended Maui Jim's: They're not a "designer" brand per se, but their optical glass really IS top-notch (far above most any "designer" brand except maybe Oakley).

3. Optical quality has a *huge* impact on fatigue, and eye strain. Improperly or cheaply mounted glass will get stress distortion, and cheap glasses are guaranteed to.

In short, that article is excellent and completely relevant to fashion accessories, and completely irrelevant to people who buy sunshades because they actually need to see properly.

It helped my decision that Maui Jim offers custom-ordered lenses in their regular quality from the factory, while most other manufacturers require your optician to supply your own.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 02:19 AM

The other thing is that I really don't get why people spend hundreds on something they've obviously never tried on, as the name alone doesn't guarantee it won't look like shit on their nose.
Actually, for $100 Ray Ban offers pretty good lenses. I was surprised - and they are glass.

I went for a pair of Barton Perreira after my Maui Jim broke.

The Maui Jim glass quality is very good. Only, once I broke my lenses (how I loved my Maui Jim lenses - fantastic quality), they had changed the coating on the brown lenses, and I didn't like the new ones (less red, and more yellow and green, thanks, no). Also, the Maui Jim design is sub-par.

BArton Perreira is very good design, and their lenses are very good. At least their glass lenses. I never go for plastic. I found quite good plastic lenses, but nothing comes close to really good, polarized glass lenses.

If I wanted cheap sunglasses, I'd go for Ray Ban.

Now I take really good care of my Barton Perreiras. Fantastic quality. It's the best you can currently buy and that still is affordable.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post

When I buy sunglasses, I put as much energy into it as for buying lenses. After all, I'll see the world through it.

Some luxury brands have mediocre lenses. But others have very good ones, e.g. Maui Jim and Barton Perreira. SALT, for example, has mediocre plastic lenses. Chrome hearts is just ridiculous, even though their lenses aren't bad.

There's not really one judgment here: you have to go to the store and look through them. There's all varieties: luxury crap, excellent quality with excellent design... and others who put design before optical quality like Persol.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM

Genetically speaking, everything about me sucks. With the exception of my eyes. I dropped some coin on Maui's after extensive testing. Granted, I didn't try EVERYTHING, but their lenses are like comparing Canon's kit lens to the 24-70L. Unfreakin'believable.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 12:26 PM

I have transitions. Easiest for me, only one pair of glasses needed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 15, 2010, 01:01 PM

Transitions are the worst-looking glasses you can get.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:25 PM

Meh, they work fine for me. They can take a serious beating too.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:53 PM

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:58 PM

Not exactly Spacemonkey.

This:
* Transitions Lenses Options – Blocks 100% of UVA & UVB Rays

*Not the kind I have, but same principle.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:59 PM

Oh, I know what transitions lenses are. I just wanted to add another suggestion.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 06:04 PM

Aw. I see what you did there then.

insert rimshot

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2010, 06:22 PM

I have a pair of Maui Jim Hula (model 350-02) sunglasses and love them. The optical quality is very good and they're the first pair I actually wear on a regular basis. Far too often I'd think a pair looks great in the store only to find out I don't like them a week or so later. I enjoy these particular glasses very much. They have the PolarizedPlus2 polycarbonate lenses and a Flexon frame. After two years of usage they still look like new.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
You local store. Or online if you want some fancy ones.
I think we've already gone a little more in-depth than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules