Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Old Tom And Jerry Cartoons To Have Smoking Scenes Edited Out

Old Tom And Jerry Cartoons To Have Smoking Scenes Edited Out
mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 11:29 PM

OLD TOM AND JERRY CARTOONS TO HAVE SMOKING SCENES EDITED OUT
Turner to ax smoking scenes from cartoons
Cable network to remove decades-old sequences after viewer complaint

Updated: 1:02 p.m. CT Aug 21, 2006

LONDON - Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.

The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.

“We are going through the entire catalogue,” Yinka Akindele, spokeswoman for Turner in Europe, said on Monday.

“This is a voluntary step we’ve taken in light of the changing times,” she said, adding the painstaking review had been prompted by the Ofcom complaint.

The regulator’s latest news bulletin stated that a viewer, who was not identified, had complained about two smoking scenes on Tom and Jerry, saying they “were not appropriate in a cartoon aimed at children.”

In the first, “Texas Tom”, the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, “Tennis Chumps”, Tom’s opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

“The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation,” Ofcom said, adding that “Texas Tom” was one such example.

Akindele said cartoons would only be modified “where smoking could be deemed to be cool or glamorized”, and that scenes where a villain was featured with a cigarette or cigar would not necessarily be cut.

“These are historic cartoons, they were made well over 50 years ago in a different time and different place,” she added. “Our audience is children and we don’t want to be irresponsible.”

Turner Broadcasting could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ofcom said it recognized smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, ’50s and ’60s, but argued that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience was predominately young should be high.

About 56 percent of Boomerang’s audience is aged four to 14 years old.

Early reaction to the review on Web logs broadly attacked Turner’s decision.

“Have to dig out all those photos and films of (Winston) Churchill and airbrush out the cigars,” said a message posted on the “Organ Grinder” forum on the Guardian newspaper’s Web site.

The review was not the first time a famous cartoon character was forced to give up smoking.

Belgian cartoonist Maurice de Bevere replaced his most popular creation Lucky Luke’s ubiquitous cigarette with a blade of grass, winning him an award from the World Health Organization in 1988.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Turner to ax smoking scenes from cartoons - TELEVISION - MSNBC.com

I think this is ficking ridiculous.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 11:32 PM

For ****'s sake. Maybe they could edit out all the gratuitious violence too.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 11:39 PM

And then all the ambiguous sexual innuendoes.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 11:54 PM

good lord. they cant hide smoking from society, its impossible to act like it doesnt happen.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 12:03 AM

Only in America™

No wait …

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 12:08 AM

Revisionism. I don't like it. How about stop showing Tom & Jerry altogether? This is pathetic.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 01:24 AM

I don't believe that this is the first time they've modified/edited/omitted certain scenes from old cartoons. I only hope that the cartoons will be publicly available in their original form for those who wish it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 02:25 AM

I can't say I'm entirely against this (although I'm not a fan of Tom & Jerry to begin with). There were a LOT of cartoons made during the war for example, that were quite racist and nationalistic. While they should be available uncut for people to watch if they want to (on DVD, for example) I don't think they're appropriate to show to children, and I think this is a similar case.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I can't say I'm entirely against this (although I'm not a fan of Tom & Jerry to begin with). There were a LOT of cartoons made during the war for example, that were quite racist and nationalistic. While they should be available uncut for people to watch if they want to (on DVD, for example) I don't think they're appropriate to show to children, and I think this is a similar case.
On the other hand, I am quite fond of Tom and Jerry (mostly the older ones). They were truly funny, creative cartoons, in my view. However, my thinking is along the same lines.

As long as they're still available to the public in their original, uncut form (as a DVD collection, for instance, as you mentioned), a cut scene here and there of Tom rolling a ciggy and smoking won't make them less enjoyable for kids. I mean there were Flinstone advertisements for cigarettes. I doubt anyone here would agree with showing that to kids now a days. There were also some scenes which could be considered racist or insulting to blacks in Tom and Jerry. I think those aren't shown any more, though.

Still, the question is where to stop. For example, I clearly remember scenes of Tom and Jerry drunk, and the comedy based around that in some scenes. Should those scenes be cut also. What about sexuality (Tom interested in a female cat, for instance)? And what of the rampant kooky violence around which most of the action in Tom and Jerry is based on? And what about the common cross-dressing in such cartoons (Bugs seems to be the king of those)? Is that mocking or favoring homosexuals/crossdressers and should that be taken out?

So, it's a delicate balance.

Still the underlying question is: Is a child encouraged to smoke because Tom smoked in an episode?

Seems to me that's the most important question here and what you do or don't do depends on the answer to that question.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:23 AM

Icruise & Gabriel Morales,

Do you think that all young people should be shielded from seeing all undesirable behavior?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 06:25 AM

Considering that a lot of parents apparently don't give a **** about what their children are exposed to, or teaching them how to deal with it, the answer isn't as clear-cut as you think it is.

As always, there's more than black or white.

jckalen
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 06:36 AM

Thinking that seeing a cartoon character smoke will cause children to smoke makes about as much sense as thinking that they will shoot each other, hurl bombs, make giant slingshots to hurl themselves out of, paint black holes on the ground to jump into, strap rockets to their backs and rollerskates to their feet, walk around with no pants on, stutter, devise ways to drop anvils on people, talk with a lisp or demand hassenfeffer for dinner.

And chances are, if there are kids THAT dim out there, society would benefit from their untimely demise.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Considering that a lot of parents apparently don't give a **** about what their children are exposed to, or teaching them how to deal with it, the answer isn't as clear-cut as you think it is.

As always, there's more than black or white.
Oh, so you are saying David Bowie should be arrested? Or just have his ass kicked? Or that his example is not a good one for American youts?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:00 AM

Anyone here seen Thank You For Smoking?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 07:02 AM

No, I'm saying that parents shouldn't dump their kids in front of the TV and allow them to consume everything that comes along unchecked and uncommented.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Revisionism. I don't like it. How about stop showing Tom & Jerry altogether? This is pathetic.

V
When was the last time you saw a Speedy Gonzalez cartoon? Mexican stereotypes, maybe

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 07:12 AM

No, I'm saying that parents shouldn't dump their kids in front of the TV and allow them to consume everything that comes along unchecked and uncommented.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Icruise & Gabriel Morales,

Do you think that all young people should be shielded from seeing all undesirable behavior?
Not at all. Smoking or moderate violence in a TV show or movie, for example, as long as it makes sense to the plot wouldn't be a problem because it portrays what actually happens in reality. And parents could use that as an opportunity to talk to their kids about smoking as well. But when you are dealing with a medium that is ostensibly made specifically for children, I think it makes sense to consider its content. jckalen -- while kids might not start dropping anvils on their friends' heads after watching Tom & Jerry, I don't think you can dismiss its effects so easily. There's a reason why there was a controversy over the Joe Camel cartoon character, for example. Cartoons can be pretty powerful.

Personally, I wouldn't let my son watch Tom & Jerry at all, partially because I don't think it's very good (not particularly funny or interesting) and partially because I do think that kids really can be influenced to a small degree by watching violence, even (or perhaps especially) the cartoon variety of violence. Actually, I find it funny that people can get upset about the smoking (or in other cases, about sex) but not find violence to be problematic at all.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 07:26 AM

I think I'd let my kids decide if it wasn't unfunny or interesting.
and its total **** that kids would get influenced by violence in cartoons/video games/books/whatever
we don't have time to stop for gas

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
When was the last time you saw a Speedy Gonzalez cartoon? Mexican stereotypes, maybe
Yeah! Now that you mention it!

Or heard that song on the oldies station by Pat Boone, "Speedy Gonzales."

Or seen reruns of the old comedic character, Jose Jimenez, played by Bill Dana?

Hmmm...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 07:38 AM

cartoon network already removed all the classic bugs bunny episodes that portrayed japaneese and germans from WWII era episodes, indians with big noses and the older elmer fudd when he was 'drunk' (bulbus red nose, watery eye look).

i havent' confirmed if those cartoons are in the DVD box sets from WB though...

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:46 AM

As parent I have mixed reaction to this.
On one hand you have revisionist thinking and I hate to any show cartoon or tv show be edited because the content is now not politically correct

but (here's the big but) I do care what my children watch.

They are little sponges and do not need to see negative behavior reinforced. That includes smoking and the violence. I let my little ones watch tv with mixed feelings, I really don't want to just dump them in front of the tube just so I can have "me" time yet they need a little time to themselves and the tv offers that.

I'm not trying to shield my kids from all the ills of society but they will get enough exposure of this stuff outside of the home, which means I want the house to be a safe haven with good positive reinforcement.

Its a difficult balancing act especially with the crap that's on now a days.
Michael

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 07:49 AM

I can't say I'd have a problem with it either way, as long as they don't burn the originals or throw them in a vault for all eternity. They could show the edited version during the day and the full unedited one after 10 pm. A parent would just need to use parental control to disable it after then. Modern TVs should have that functionality already.
( Last edited by demograph68; Aug 24, 2006 at 07:55 AM. )

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I can't say I'd have a problem with it either way, as long as they don't burn the originals or throw them in a vault for all eternity.
Here's a good example of the PC police doing just that. Disney's Song of the South. I saw that as a child but they've never released that on DVD (or vhs for that matter) and you'll probably never see that again - thanks to its racial content.
Michael

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Here's a good example of the PC police doing just that. Disney's Song of the South. I saw that as a child but they've never released that on DVD (or vhs for that matter) and you'll probably never see that again - thanks to its racial content.
It was out in Japan.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
I don't believe that this is the first time they've modified/edited/omitted certain scenes from old cartoons. I only hope that the cartoons will be publicly available in their original form for those who wish it.
Not to mention album covers
This also happened to the "Old Friends" album by Simon & Garfunkel as well.

As an artist, I strongly object to changing what was someones artistic vision.
As a person, I see this as being a revisionist (of cartoon history).
And for the record, I'm not a big fan of smoking, either.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 08:51 AM

As parent I have mixed reaction to this.
On one hand you have revisionist thinking and I hate to any show cartoon or tv show be edited because the content is now not politically correct

but (here's the big but) I do care what my children watch.

They are little sponges and do not need to see negative behavior reinforced. That includes smoking and the violence. I let my little ones watch tv with mixed feelings, I really don't want to just dump them in front of the tube just so I can have "me" time yet they need a little time to themselves and the tv offers that.

I'm not trying to shield my kids from all the ills of society but they will get enough exposure of this stuff outside of the home, which means I want the house to be a safe haven with good positive reinforcement.

Its a difficult balancing act especially with the crap that's on now a days.
Thank you.

The psychiatric case will be along shortly to tell you that this means you should boycott Bowie.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Not to mention album covers
This also happened to the "Old Friends" album by Simon & Garfunkel as well.

As an artist, I strongly object to changing what was someones artistic vision.
As a person, I see this as being a revisionist (of cartoon history).
And for the record, I'm not a big fan of smoking, either.
That's just dumb. And I personally think that it might be a better idea to just retire some of these cartoons (keeping them just for DVD collections and whatnot) rather than actively editing them. There can't be that many of them.

I can understand why some people think you should let kids make up their own minds about things like this, but it seems to me that unless you take the stance that *everything* is all right for kids to see, you're going to be censoring what your kids view. It's just a question of where you draw the line.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 09:22 AM

I watched the uncut cartoons as a kid, and it certainly never encouraged me to smoke. Except, perhaps, in the rare case that I've been tied to a post and blindfolded in front of a firing squad. Or if I were to every find myself as a bulldog serenading a cat using another cat as an upright bass...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 09:23 AM

I'm almost positive I could get my hand on a copy of that if you're interested...

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Except, perhaps, in the rare case that I've been tied to a post and blindfolded in front of a firing squad. Or if I were to every find myself as a bulldog serenading a cat using another cat as an upright bass...
Exactly. In those situations its been scientifically proven to be beneficial to smoke.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 09:25 AM

Back in they late 80s on video. They were never shown on TV over here.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 10:15 AM

Thank you.

The psychiatric case will be along shortly to tell you that this means you should boycott Bowie.
Quit being such a d***, he just wants history and the arts to be left alone. Besides, little kids aren't watching old Tom and Jerry reruns, they're watching Pokemon (of whatever lame crap that's playing on Cartoon Network these days). Adults are the ones watching T&J, enjoying the flashbacks to their youth.

Leave it to that particular political ideology to revise everything to suit them, pissing and moaning until everything is PC "whitebread".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I'm almost positive I could get my hand on a copy of that if you're interested...
I have Song of the South on Laserdisc (as well as the entire T&J series).

I watched the uncut cartoons as a kid, and it certainly never encouraged me to smoke. Except, perhaps, in the rare case that I've been tied to a post and blindfolded in front of a firing squad. Or if I were to every find myself as a bulldog serenading a cat using another cat as an upright bass...
"Is you is, or is you ain't, my baby? Maybe bady's found somebody new?"

That's just classic.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:25 AM

Being PC must be pathetic! Political Cowards.

Don't folks realize that those who HAVE the problem of being offended
are the ones with the problem? GROW UP! QUIT WHINING!

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 11:40 AM

Are any of you that are against this parents?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 11:42 AM

I am not, but I did grow up watching these cartoons. That should count for something.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Ahh... love that commercial.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Does it matter? Parenting is apparently a lost art these days. Leave it up to the television to do it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 08:22 PM

What are you talking about? If anything, Speedy defies the predominant Mexican stereotypes. Not to mention he's always getting the best of Sylvester or Daffy.

Some people see what they want to see, and nothing else.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Only in America™

No wait …
Seconded.

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 08:51 PM

I've got an idea... turn off your TV if you don't like it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 09:01 PM

You can't even drop an anvil on someone anymore without someone complaining.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I've got an idea... turn off your TV if you don't like it.
I have. Permanently.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 09:32 PM

That's just dumb. And I personally think that it might be a better idea to just retire some of these cartoons (keeping them just for DVD collections and whatnot) rather than actively editing them. There can't be that many of them.

I can understand why some people think you should let kids make up their own minds about things like this, but it seems to me that unless you take the stance that *everything* is all right for kids to see, you're going to be censoring what your kids view. It's just a question of where you draw the line.
Actually over 100 cartoons! Just because someone is offended is no reason to ban them. Especially considering they are a part of our recent past culture. Same goes for the Warner Bros. cartoons. Even the older popeye, and katzenjammer(sp) cartoons too. So what, if somebody doesn't get it? People will always find something to whine about. they need to grow up. it's not like we arew FORCING THEM TO WATCH now is it. If some parents did a crappy job raising their kids and produced an impressionable whiner, or violent brat, it isn't teh fault of the cartoons, but of the weird way the kid was raised!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 09:45 PM

Dumb. Very dumb. When I heard about this, I got out my Loony Toons collection and screened some VERY non-PC shorts. I particularly like the ones with cartoon characters doing things that would kill humans-especially Wile E. Coyote falling thousands of feet and punching a coyote-shaped hole in the ground. Like I believed these were real people. Like ANY KID believes these are real people-or ever did!

There's one Tom and Jerry set in a bowling alley where how bad tobacco can be for you is well illustrated-Tom winds up in a disgustingly filthy ash tray and comes out with all sorts of stuff stuck onto and in his face. But I'll bet they edit that one too.

Did I say this was dumb? Thought so.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 10:01 PM

Anyone remeber these?

And yeah, political correctness sucks.

Thanks to the nutty politically correct robots in the 90s it has become the trend.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by starman
That's a very good question. Because I think I would have been on the other side of this issue before I became a parent. Your priorities change to some degree.

In general I'm very much against changing any kind of movie or TV show in this way, but I can't help but think that cartoons are a little different. That said, I haven't seen the cartoons in question (I don't specifically recall seeing any Tom & Jerry cartoons featuring smoking) so it could be that this is a tempest in a teapot.

Would anyone here like to see the cartoons with Bugs Bunny in blackface or as a bucktoothed Japanese soldier stay in broadcast rotation? I'm curious.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 05:29 AM

OH! NO!! Not showing our attitudes of our enemies during World war 2! We might actually be teaching a form of patriotism to our kids with that!

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
OH! NO!! Not showing our attitudes of our enemies during World war 2! We might actually be teaching a form of patriotism to our kids with that!

uh... was this a joke? One can never expect rational thought from someone who believes in audiophile hype.

Anyway, yeah, I'd leave the cartoons alone, and put a disclaimer that it is a piece of history, and is a social commentary of THAT time period, which it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules