Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Living in the past, 1/1/1904 to be exact.

Living in the past, 1/1/1904 to be exact.
ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 01:28 PM

Why does my iBook keep resetting the date to 1/1/1904. It has happened twice so far, and the warning says it is a "Network time error". I don't have "Use Network Time Server" checked. The only thing I can think of is it could have something to do with using the Firewire target disk mode since I used that last night (and a couple times earlier in the week). Thanks for any help.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2001, 07:46 AM

Hey,
I have the same problem with my brandnew Ibook(dvd/20GB)
and my girlfriend also has the same problem with her iMac (flowerpower 600) and the apple dealer were she bought it told me he has to replace the battery (and that i couldn't do that myself)
so I assume that i have the same (little) problem with my iBook.
(going to make a angry phonecall monday morning, an empty battery in a NEW iBook.)

greetings Harold
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2001, 07:50 AM

Well, it has to do with the internal back-up battery. Every time your computer crashes hard, your clock will be sent back in time to 1904. I'm talking about loss of power, PRAM reset, or a fatal system error of some sort. My Lombard PowerBook used to do this a lot, but I haven't had any power problems/hard crashes/had to reset the PRAM lately, so my TiBook and Pismo are living in the present.

On desktops, you get this problem when you lose power and your back-up battery needs to be replaced. It's just a regular clock battery, I think. You can definitely do it yourself. You just need to know where it is and what battery to put in there.

I don't have an iMac myself, so I can't tell you from experience, but someone knows in the IMac forum I'd bet.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2001, 07:51 AM

Wait a second, does it periodically reset?

Wow. I guess I didn't read your post well enough. This is definitely a bad battery, and you might want to have Apple send you another one. I'm sure they're going to ask for the 'Book back, since it's not an easy repair on notebooks.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 05:38 PM

Whenever I hard reset my iBook, it reverts to December 31st, 1969.
Not 1901, but I assume it's the same principle.
This is in 9.1 and OSX.
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 10:36 PM

You guys may already know this, but I'm a Mac newb and everytime my iBook froze I would stick the 'reset' button.

Eventually, I figured out that holding in the power button for a while (no more than 10 seconds) usually turns the book off w/o any data loss. Hope that helps a bit.

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2001, 11:01 PM

amo, you will want to use
ctrl-command(apple key)-power
key combo to force a restart (if your mouse is completely frozen), or
option-command-escape
to try to force-quit an unresponsive program (if your mouse can still move).

Think of ctrl-command-power as the Mac equivalent of ctrl-alt-delete

whodisbe
Aug 13, 2001, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<STRONG>

Think of ctrl-command-power as the Mac equivalent of ctrl-alt-delete</STRONG>
actually...

ctrl - command - power -- is a cold boot, its like ctrl-alt-dele 2x.
ctrl - command - escape (a force quit) -- is like ctrl-alt-delete.

ussfolsom  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still a bit confused. Does it have to do with my (clock) battery being bad, or resetting the machine? I used the little reset button because I thought the control - command - power combo didn't work anymore (since USB keyboards), but does it still work on iBooks? I still don't see why using the little reset button would set my clock back. Also, if the battery were bad wouldn't I get the message every time I start up?

grimley
Aug 13, 2001, 12:57 PM

Here is the exact thing from the Apple Knowledge base. The date issue is discussed towards the end, but it may be useful to read the whole thing.

Before pressing the reset button, try the reset key sequence first:

1. Press Ctrl-Command-Power to restart the computer.
2. If this does not work, press the Power button for five seconds and then release it. The computer will shut down. Press the Power button again to restart the computer.

If the computer does not restart after trying both of these steps, press the reset button by inserting the end of a paper clip into the small hole and gently pressing the switch once.

Pressing the reset button resets the iBook hardware, including NVRAM, and forces the computer to shut down. This reset procedure should only be used when the computer does not respond to keyboard or trackpad input, and appears to have "frozen."

Warning: Pressing the reset button loses any unsaved data, and resets the computer's clock to the year 1904. This occurs whether the computer is running from battery or AC power.

ussfolsom  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 01:55 PM

Wow, that answered all of my questions . Thanks! Kind of strange if you ask me, but this is my first portable. Just when you think you know everything... hehe

mmarcos
Aug 14, 2001, 07:59 PM

On OS X you click the lock on the date time panel. This will maintain the correct data even after a crash. Has no effect on OS 9.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 05:04 AM

Sounds like you reset the power setting (*genius* -- cough). But what do I know, I've been called a PC user in my other iBook thread

But seriously, what I'd recommend you doing is resetting the power again (you know the whole side of the computer little button deal). If that doesn't work, let me know... I'll come up with another idea.

You may have also possibly had a RAM disk that crashed.

Jarid
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

ussfolsom  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 12:20 PM

Just to clear something up kid, I only post under my name. If you are really that concerned ask one of the mods to compare my IP address to the guy that posted under a guest name in your thread, they will be different.

And yes, I believe I already said I hit the reset switch, which is what turns the date back as documented in the Apple help file above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules