Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook's case is a disaster

iBook's case is a disaster
Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2001, 05:37 PM

I've been repeating this for awhile now. My iBook has so many scratches and as someone in this forum mentionned, it is not really made for casual usage as our old iBook.

Now, I heard recently that the iBook cover has another problem. If you look at the back of the iBook, the body and the screen are not parallel. I checked mine and I do have that problem. Apparently, 3/5 of all the iBooks have this problem. It is true that it's a minor detail and I'll continue to love my iBook but when I think that Apple knows that some of its products have such problem and continue to produce without even notifying clients, I am furious despite my huge satisfaction for its size, screen, silence, performance etc...

I damn well know that I didn't pay much for this machine compared to Ti but it does not justify the fact that there are certains faulty products being produced and this is officially tolerated. LCD screen is another thing but apparently, all the LCD producers agree that bad pixels must be tolerated at present so I can handle that. But a computer case being so clumsily assembled is not what I would tolerate easily.

We've seen a similar problem with the crack(molding line) on the Cube but I think this thing on the iBook is more visible and something must be done.

PS. People may call me a cry-baby but didn't Cube users get an official explaination from Apple about that "molding line"? I think, we, iBook users deserve the same. I want an explaination why this thing is there.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

grimley
Jul 31, 2001, 06:13 PM

Hey.

I've kept my iBook in the white foam bag that it came in since day one. I noticed that it recieved a few scratches on the bottom and I have been extra careful with it since. Have you been throwing the 'book in a bag, or putting it in it's own sleeve prior to carrying it with you?

I know that this isn't a consolation, but there was a thread about 'shrinkwrapping' the book in clear plastic to avoid more surface scrathes...

As for the screen and the body not being parallel... i'm not sure what you mean. If you are talking about there being a curve to the screen, then I have that too, but look at it this way, you avoid the key marks that are so talked about.... I wouldn't say that I was furoius about it though. It bothers me a little, but only in a detail sort of way - not enought to make me lose faith in the machine - or Apple for that fact.

I realise this doen't help much...

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2001, 06:40 PM

No... No... I love my iBook and I am not at all losing my faith in Apple or anything. May be my expression was a bit too harsh.

What I was saying is that iBook as a casual machine built for education market has rather fragile cover. Furthermore, that screen curve(yeap... I was talking about the curve) is apparently not a normal thing. Few iBooks have perfectily parallel screen.

Talking about sleeves and everything, I, like an idiot, used keep my iBook in the below bag:

You see all the pockets on the top? They really screwed by iBook. Anyway, I am waiting for some waxy products to apply on my iBook to see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I will try to repaint my iBook with another color.

grimley
Jul 31, 2001, 07:24 PM

Better yet let's start the official countdown to the first third-party replacement for the iBook plastic cover.... I mean someone must be doing it, seeing how much everyone wants colors...

Hope it's o.k. and not too much of a pain until then.

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2001, 12:58 PM

It would be pretty easy to produce the third party iBook cover replacement becauce it's basically just a transparent piece of plastic. Pretty much every new iBook user has to try various things to finally find the way to keep their iBook clean and nice. By then the cover is full of scratches.

Except very few lucky ones, I think all of the new iBook users regret neglecting the possibility of major scratches when they first bought their iBook.

I'm sure, who ever begins produce it, will make a fortune.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 01:26 PM

I don't know if you want to do something like this, but you can remove the cover and sand it. You can sand away all your scratches and give it a more coarse appearance so that new scratches don't show up.

While you're at it do the trick to dissolve all the paint on the inside of the machine and pick a new color for it and paint it from the inside. It will look very cool, more of a frosted glassy appearance to it.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 02:08 PM

I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of such a procedure. The matte finish of the original iBook is hands-down more resistant than this incarnation, and if sanding would in fact result in a still-smooth surface, just worn, that would be great.
As it is, I'm not happy about the latch, or the white color, or the cd tray, or the lack of a handle, but the reason I didn't buy an iBook was it's bus speed and the scratch-prone cover.
you are not your signature

AJM
Aug 1, 2001, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by grimley:
<STRONG>
I've kept my iBook in the white foam bag that it came in since day one.
</STRONG>
Same here. I have been using the white foam bag that it came in before I put it in my notebook bag, and no scratches so far. But I am an extra careful person (well, considering it is a $1500 toy...). I have also been using the white sheet that was between the keyboard and the screen in the original packaging as a screen protector...

The screen not being parallel to the rest of the case is barely noticeable and doesn't bother me at all, if I understand correctly what you are referring to.

Anyway, every person has different expectations, so I can understand your feelings.

AJM

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2001, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:
<STRONG>I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of such a procedure. The matte finish of the original iBook is hands-down more resistant than this incarnation, and if sanding would in fact result in a still-smooth surface, just worn, that would be great.
As it is, I'm not happy about the latch, or the white color, or the cd tray, or the lack of a handle, but the reason I didn't buy an iBook was it's bus speed and the scratch-prone cover.</STRONG>
Don't get me wrong. I love my iBook but before buying it, so many people in this forum persuaded me that bus-speed isn't that important in Mac unlike in PeeCee's. Therefore, I went for the iBook instead of a Pismo500 that my friend was selling at a very reasonable price. Plus, I don't deny it's bright screen, it size and also it's divine beauty were very persuasive also and these are basically the reason why I am still a happy camper despite all the problems that I've been whining about.

Anyway, I am not deceived about its speed but I may get my second Mac earlier than I expected. Ti revision, here I come!!!

PS. About that sand blowing procedure, I think it's just too risky. If anyone manages to do it, I will more than enthousiastic to see the result. But what even if the cover gets a big hole???

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

AJM
Aug 1, 2001, 03:24 PM

<STRONG>
As it is, I'm not happy about the latch, ... but the reason I didn't buy an iBook was it's bus speed ...</STRONG>
What's wrong with the latch?

About the bus speed. I suggest you do try one with the applications you will be running on it, if you haven't done so yet. Dismissing it just because of a number is like the Wintel people dismissing Macs because of the processor clock cycle. Granted that the bus speed is important, the iBook could fit your bill, depending on what you do with it.
I have been using it with OS X and 384MB Ram and have no complaints
(running ssh, opera, xfree86, bbedit, realbasic, etc. Not heavy stuff, but...)
OS X.1 will only makes things better (I hope!)

AJM

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 04:42 PM

I don't think anyone could produce a replacement cover. At least not one with a Apple logo in it. Not without Apple's OK...
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

<Flimbique>
Aug 1, 2001, 06:25 PM

This may sound nuts, but try this - I use rubbing compound to buff out minor scratches on my motorcycle helmet (hard plastic like the iBook) and it works really well. This stuff is available at most any ato parts store - get the highest grit number (softest) available for your delicate iBook.

Mine is on order and due by the end of the week. I'm sure that I'll end up using rubbing compound on the 'book once I scratch it up.

Hope this helps.

Flim

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>...all the pockets on the top? They really screwed by iBook. Anyway, I am waiting for some waxy products to apply on my iBook to see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I will try to repaint my iBook with another color.</STRONG>
[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Gametes ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2001, 06:58 PM

Well, I don't have the crooked problem that you speak of. Also, I haven't transported mine yet but I ordered the Dr. Bott's sleeve and it has the pockets that are on an outisde sleeve and the iBook is completly covered to protect it from the pockets. I get it tomorrow but that's why I picked it out, I don't want any scratches!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2001, 08:09 PM

I really don't think y'all should worry too much about the smudges and scratches. If it were a big deal, I'd be pissed. But it isn't. You have to have DIRECTL LIGHT on the iBook to even see them and that hardly ever happens with me. Most of the time, I'm using my computer in poor light! And besides, if you have your computer open and are using it, you shouldn't be looking at the scratches anyway. Really, potential iBook buyers...this isn't that big of a deal.
Apple user since 1987

Gametes
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 02:53 AM

About the latch - I'm disappointed that Apple dropped the revolutionary and incredibly innovative clamshell mechanism employed by the original iBook. I guess space consideration have won out this time, as when the Ti continued using a latch instead of adopting the iBook's method.

About the bus speed - if I had any imperative to buy a computer at all, this would not have stopped me, trust me. I understand that the performance hit is marginal, in exchange for marginal heat and power performance gains, but when you're buying a computer in the interests of pleasure alone (as I am, having a perfectly good iBook already), these things count.
On that note, it's this reason that I let the scratches get to me as well. If you need to get work done, the iBook is a great solution and a few minor mars on the exterior doesn't really interfere with that. So if I needed the machine, I'd buy it. But, alas, I'm looking to maximize leisure only, and I can't justify replacing what works at significant cost when the replacement isn't up to par. I'm looking at the whole machine as a function of enjoyment, and it's for this reason that bus speed and scratches do matter. I hope you'll understand how much context effects one's judgement on these matters.

I hope I haven't offended any of my iceBook brethren. In fact, I think the new iBook is not only of great quality, but a tremendous value, to boot (unlike it's older brother). This should be evidenced by my desire to purchase one.
It just isn't...quite perfect enough. Not well rounded enough, with that handicapped bus speed. See, there's a difference between naturally slow, which is ok (tortoise), and handicapped slow, which is bad (a one-legged rabbit). I think the iBook is crippled at 66, and I won't take it, and the same goes for the scratches.

I'll wait.
you are not your signature

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 04:07 AM

I don't see any reason why we should tolerate such problems. As I've mentionned above, I am very very happy with my iBook and I wouldn't exchange it against anything except may be the Ti revision.

The scratches, I can live with them but the latch problem seems a bit more serious. I mean, it's not even visible because you have look at the back of the iBook to see it and I never looked at it from that angle until someone told me that there is this problem. This doesn't mean, however, that there isn't any problem. It's there where it shouldn't be. Having scraches and being crooked is not the same thing... I hope you understand what I am saying.

I think iBook will have 100mhz BUS soon... well as soon as Motorola gets out faster G4 chips for Ti...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2001, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>I don't see any reason why we should tolerate such problems. As I've mentionned above, I am very very happy with my iBook and I wouldn't exchange it against anything except may be the Ti revision.

The scratches, I can live with them but the latch problem seems a bit more serious. I mean, it's not even visible because you have look at the back of the iBook to see it and I never looked at it from that angle until someone told me that there is this problem. This doesn't mean, however, that there isn't any problem. It's there where it shouldn't be. Having scraches and being crooked is not the same thing... I hope you understand what I am saying.

I think iBook will have 100mhz BUS soon... well as soon as Motorola gets out faster G4 chips for Ti...</STRONG>
If it's not visible, then how the hell can it be a problem ??

As for scratches - Laptops, just like people, have more character the more battle scars they have...

idjeff
Senior User
Aug 2, 2001, 05:52 AM

I'm sure that all of you have had the opportunity to see and handle the Tibook. I've had it for a few months now, and I'm still afraid that I'm going to damage the casing. I only wish that Apple would have had the common sense to encase the Tibook with the same polycarbonate casing that the ibook has. At least you ibook owners don't have to worry about denting your case. Scratches are the least of your worries.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

AJM
Aug 2, 2001, 03:14 PM

<STRONG>About the bus speed ... I understand that the performance hit is marginal, in exchange for marginal heat and power performance gains, but ...</STRONG>
I have wondered myself how much this is true. I too was a little disappointed when I read that the bus speed was unchanged. I justified it by thinking that a higher bus speed would make the iBook hotter and the battery charge shorter. Is there any actual data on this?
Anyway, as I said, the speed is acceptable for me, so...

<STRONG>I hope you'll understand how much context effects one's judgement on these matters.

I hope I haven't offended any of my iceBook brethren. </STRONG>
Yes, I undertstand and no offence taken

<STRONG> It just isn't...quite perfect enough... I'll wait.</STRONG>
Well, I am pretty good at the waiting game myself. I wanted to buy a Mac
(my first Mac) from May of last year, but waited for the next, hopefully perfect, thing, and waited, and waited...
I finally decided to go for it (end of June), and I am pleased with the result
If you don't need a machine now, waiting will get you a better machine for the same amount of money, so... good for you!

AJM

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

As for scratches - Laptops, just like people, have more character the more battle scars they have...</STRONG>
I meant that it's not visible when you're using your iBook since it's placed at the back of the machine. But it's definitely visible when you turn it around to see the back.

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 07:24 PM

Personally, when I heard about the scratches, I had already ordered my iBook. I was disappointed that I would soon get large gouges in my iBook.

After about two weeks of my iBook, I have the scratches, and they're so hardly noticeable it's not even funny. In fact, unless you have them in a certain light, you can't see them at all.

As for the latch, I like it a lot. It has never failed to close, and has never failed to open.

Easily the best macintosh I have ever owned. By far.

Loz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 08:18 PM

I agree that the scratches are not the end of the world for your iBook. But they are a major annoyance!

I have had my iBook for about 3 weeks now and I don't have a single scratch on the top (a couple of small ones on the bottom though). My girlfriends Mum made me a sleeve for it. It's easy really, two peices of lycra cut to size (she cut them a little small so the lycra would "hug" the iBook), stitch together, turn it inside out (so seams are on the outside and thus not in contact with iBook) and there you go!! An easy to use, semi sexy cover which protects your pride and joy from scratches received from the inside of your carry bag (in this case an STM back pack style).

Other than that, it's just a matter of looking after it. And before you all jump down my throat, I know you looked after them and they still got scratches (I know you didn't think those pockets wouldn't scratch it ). You'll know better fror next time.

As for the screen being curved, mine is fine (as far as I can tell). However, my friend had this issue and fixed it by opening the cover and loosening some screws, retightening, and putting it back together. It's still not perfect but it made a sustansial difference (although his was about the most curved screen I had seen).
Ignorance is not an excuse, it's the real thing!

<Ishan>
Aug 4, 2001, 06:29 PM

Any good car polish (not car wax) will remove the scratches completely and leave a very smooth finish.

<SimonCr>
Aug 6, 2001, 12:16 PM

Got my iBook yesterday, took it out of the box, lo and behold. Scratches on it already. One deep enough to feel. Casts a real nasty little shadow on the white bit underneath. It's going back for a new lid! (hopefully - not being petty, but it should be immaculate out of the box.) I don't mind the little beauty getting marked, but I'd really like to do it myself. Pre-installed scratches. What next?
Apart from that, it's really neat. I prefer it to the Ti, but still prefer the Pismo/Lombard enclosure myself.

whodisbe
Aug 6, 2001, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

As for scratches - Laptops, just like people, have more character the more battle scars they have...</STRONG>
well, think of it this way. When you buy a car, you buy it to drive. It shouldn't matter what color it is, or if it gets scratched... but it does. The reason it does matter is because, well, for me personally, I got the iBook so I can use it for class work while I'm on campus. The scratches aren't a huge problem, but, after paying what I paid, it would have been nice to have a less scratch prone laptop. True, I could just use the foam, but that's packing material. the laptop shouldn't require me to use those to precent scratches. That's what the casing is intended for. At the least, since Apple knew the cases were so scrath prone, they should have included a sleeve of some sort. Even if it was a cheapo sleeve, it would have been something.

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 10:45 PM

My ibook just arrived today. I don't notice anything from the back, but my latch doesn't seem to keep the ibook all the way shut. The latch works, but I can press down on the top a little ways before it hits the bottom part. In other words I could use the thing to tap morse code on... Is this normal???

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: ussfolsom ]

whodisbe
Aug 6, 2001, 11:11 PM

yeah, that's normal. It prevents the keyboard from scratching up the lcd screen.

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 10:43 AM

Just curious, but does anywhere/anyone sell replacement covers? I've seen them listed a few times on yahoo auctions, and wouldn't mind a new top cover for my Graphite iBook 466. I have literally oodles of tiny squiggly scratches on the top of my book Oh and another thing, the CD drives' plastic which the screw goes through has cracked, meaning the cover can flex about 1cm. Wouldn't mind a new one of those either!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil
I no longer have a signature.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2001, 12:48 PM

Apple has built/designed a definite winner with the iBook. Anything you use on a daily basis is going to show wear and tear. No matter how much you baby it. Does the case scratch? Yep. Does it detract from the machines ability to perform the necessary functions you bought it for? Nope. Would you rather have some ugly old PC generic color? Nope. Does your car scratch from daily use, and then you say the finish is a disaster? Nope. It's just part of life. I'm not bashin' the original post, but I think this has turned into a non-issue.

Bugs

n1ce
Aug 7, 2001, 01:20 PM

Apple has built/designed a definite winner with the iBook. Anything you use on a daily basis is going to show wear and tear. No matter how much you baby it. Does the case scratch? Yep. Does it detract from the machines ability to perform the necessary functions you bought it for? Nope. Would you rather have some ugly old PC generic color? Nope. Does your car scratch from daily use, and then you say the finish is a disaster? Nope. It's just part of life. I'm not bashin' the original post, but I think this has turned into a non-issue.
agreed.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 04:23 AM

I'd just like to point out to you people who don't mind or think that the scratches are no big deal have a very different opinion on the subject than I do and others who have voiced their opinions here.

Think about the original iBooks - I own a Tangerine. You know the "white" part of the white/tangerine combo? Well, it's actually kind of a matte finish. The next generation of iBooks got rid of this matte look and introduced a shiny white surface paired with indigo,key lime or...what else was there? Graphite?
Anyway, I have two co-workers that have indigo iBooks and their machines are way more scratched up than my poor old tangerine that I've had probably three times as long.

The fact is that the new iBook looks great, but is hard to keep looking that pristine through everyday use. Some of us really like our computers to keep looking great throughout their usefulness. I'm still hoping for colors, but since I didn't get them at MacWorld, I'm going to paint my iBook as soon as I get it (I already have the paint!).

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 02:54 PM

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Milo Waye ]

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 03:23 PM

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Milo Waye ]

whodisbe
Aug 8, 2001, 05:28 PM

I thought the rippling in the corner was normal? When I open mine, it'll ripple in the bottom right corner, and top left, where I am pushing it open. And if I'm in a moving vehicle, the screen ripples with bumps. I thought that was just characteristic of LCD screens.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2001, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by whodisbe:
<STRONG>I thought the rippling in the corner was normal? When I open mine, it'll ripple in the bottom right corner, and top left, where I am pushing it open. And if I'm in a moving vehicle, the screen ripples with bumps. I thought that was just characteristic of LCD screens.</STRONG>
whodisbe,

I don't think it's supposed to be that way. The screen in my former Lombard didn't do it and my PB 2400 doesn't do it. Someone posted in like May or June to the effect that it was being squeezed too tight in the areas of the rippling.

whodisbe
Aug 9, 2001, 01:00 AM

that kinda sucks. well, when the ibookis just on a table and I'm pounding away, it doesn't ripple. Even when I'm laying in bed emailng away it doesn't ripple. its just during driving or other serious jostling activity that it does. but, I guess I'll have it checked out. I'm planning on going to plano in a few weeks, anyone know if the Apple Stores are able to provide tech support?

amrosario
Aug 9, 2001, 10:03 PM

has anyone actually used car polish on their iBook? IF so, what kind/brand and are there any special tricks or pitfalls we should look out for?

Thanks.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

Forum Links
Forum Rules