Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Combo or Superdrive 15 powerbook

Combo or Superdrive 15 powerbook
rjcm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 08:52 PM

Combo and external dvd burner or superdrive.

Does 1,33 to 1,5 makes a real difference in editing home movies in the 15 powerbook.

Can you guys help me?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 10:50 PM

Based on the barefeats benchmark, performance gains of 1.5 Ghz over 1.3 Ghz is barely noticeable.

http://www.barefeats.com/pb11.html

If you really don't do DVD burning on the road that much, an external DVD drive will be cheaper and faster.

2x256 MB memory on 1.5 Ghz SuperDrive configuration is basically going to be wasted if you plan to upgrade the memory yourself.

I would suggest that 1.33 GHz + External DVD burner + 80GB 5400 rpm hard drive (BTO to save you trouble of upgrading yourself) + 1 GB Memory upgrade (not from Apple) will be your best deal.

meatyocre
Nov 16, 2004, 11:06 PM

I have never missed the SuperDrive or lack of SuperDrive in any of my PowerBooks. The Combo has served me well. The differences between the 1.33 & 1.5 are indeed small, but it is in your best interest to upgrade the Hard Drive to 5400 or 7200 rpm (especially for video editing).

cyberprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2004, 04:40 AM

Guys I find myself in the same situation right now. I have been wiating for my 15" Superdrive to arrive but it's been more than a month and I cannot wait any longer. There is a 15" Combo Drive available.

One of the reasons why I opted for the SD model is the backlit keyboard which is a fature I have always dreamt of. Anyway I guess I might just set that aside. I know I will also be loosing the DVD-RW capability. I will also definitely pay for an additional 256MB or 512MB RAM with my savings.

Any Aside from those three items what else is the difference? Is there a compelling reason to get the SD over the Combo Drive model.

Will 1.33 vs 1.5 be a big difference?

Here are my common tasks and the programs I will be using.

1.) Webdesign (Dreamweaver)
2.) Graphic Design (Photoshop)
3.) Amateur Video Editing (Final Cut)
4.) Office Applications...lots of work on Word, Excel & Powerpoint
5.) Email & Internet
6.) Page Layout & Design (In Design)

Your input and suggestions please.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2004, 04:57 AM

You need ram more than anything else. Get a minimum of 512. I'd say at least a gig. I have 1.5 and it's just about right for work with most of the apps you mentioned.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2004, 10:05 AM

And get the 5400 rpm HD option, or buy the cheapest 4200 and replace it with a 7200 rpm model after the fact (installed via an apple certified tech to keep your warranty).

These changes are more significant than the slight CPU difference (1.3 vs 1.5).

Forum Links
Forum Rules