Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 2005FPW LCD Display First Impressions WOW!

Dell 2005FPW LCD Display First Impressions WOW!
MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 07:16 PM

Okay this thing is bad-a$$, and although I was ready to be let down, it has not disappointed me at all. It is big and bright, and completely nicer than my UltraSharp 1900FP (re-badged Samsung 191t DVI) that is sitting next to it. Not a single dead pixel. I bought it last Friday, and it shipped to me this morning, three days ahead of schedule. I plugged it into the DVI output on my G5 and turned it on. Automatically, the profile loaded, resolution set correctly, quite literally plug and play (thanks Apple). I had to laugh at the PC users who were all worried about drivers and resolution settings, but I guess that's what you have to deal with in XP land. It's 1680x1050, same as the Apple Cinema 20". You guys are gonna flame me for saying this, but the image is nicer than the 20" Apples that we have at work, and TONS nicer out of the box than the new aluminum 23" ACD that I have on my desk at work. I've had all the 23" problems that you've read about, most notably the pink cast overall and the 'screen-door' effect. This Dell is visually neutral straight out of the box, and doesn't have the blotchy backlight or vertical stripe-y cast problems that the Apples at work have. I am STRONGLY a Mac user and evangelist, and will argue to the end that the OS and hardware are just plain better. This Dell display, however, is visually superior to the Apples I work with and is HALF the cost. I will have to go back to work and grab the Gretag EyeOne and calibrate and profile it properly, but out of the box this is an excellent monitor for around $640 during one of the Dell 20% off sales. The GarageBand timeline-based display is incredible, so much info displayed in the widescreen format. Discuss?... questions?....

t500
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 07:38 PM

Yeah, Mine came on Monday and it is Sweet... The base is kinda big. The displat is beautiful... Now I understand what everyone loves the wide angle.

Jerr

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by MichiganRich:
The GarageBand timeline-based display is incredible, so much info displayed in the widescreen format.
My 2001FP just got shipped, and I should get it early next week. Compared to 2001FP, 2005FPW just has 80 pixels more horizontally (1680 vs. 1600, or 5%). So, I doubt that it makes much difference.

Anyway, I am jealous of your 2005FPW, but I am sure that I will be equally delighted with my 2001FP once it arrives.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 07:11 AM

Yeah, got a 2005fpw also. Solid monitor so far in my limited usage with it. Works just fine out of the box with my PB and my Shuttle Athlon 64 Cube. Very bright, colors seem very good, though maybe a tinge on the blue side. No dead pixels either - Very happy with the purchase overall.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2004, 11:54 AM

glad to hear you like it. im going from a 1901fp to a 2005fpw. ordered yesterday for $599 with a 25% off flat panel display dellf coupon.

im an xp user too and i cant really think of anything to worry about with the driver and resolutions. widescreen works just fine in windows and if youre smart enough to physically hook up the monitor installing the driver (not even required) and setting the resolution shouldnt be cause for worry.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:01 PM

pics pics pics pics!

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 05:04 PM

Yeah, it would be nice if you can take a picture with Dell's and Apple's LCDs side-by-side using video mirror. We like to see the comparison between these two.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 07:00 PM

There's some pics over in the FirstAdopter forums... here's a pic of mine, no Cinema Display to compare to. May be slightly blurry, my hand was a little shaky.

Image Link: http://plaza.ufl.edu/zoom102/pictures/2005fpw_1.jpg
( Last edited by gator; Nov 24, 2004 at 11:10 PM. )
40GB iPod

Lizard7
Nov 21, 2004, 02:41 PM

Oh, so one can leave the hideous speakers off?

Originally posted by gator:
There's some pics over in the FirstAdopter forums... here's a pic of mine, no Cinema Display to compare to. May be slightly blurry, my hand was a little shaky.

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Lizard7:
Oh, so one can leave the hideous speakers off?
the speakers are the dell sound bar, an accessory for all new dell lcds. the speakers dont even come with the monitor.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

TiUser
Nov 21, 2004, 06:08 PM

Is there any way one can take the "DELL" logo off or paint over? I have the ACD 20" at home, but may want to get another LCD for work. This looks like a great deal if the screen matches that of the Apple ACD.

videian28
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:31 PM

I am very happy with mine as well, they ahve already increased theprice on these, it is up to $799 now (as of yesterday)

very nice monitor, very clear and bright, takes very little desk space (compared to the old cinema display) and 4 different inputs

and you can damn near get 2 for the price of one same sized apple display =/

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 03:45 PM

If you know how to Dell the price on these is $564 each.

Check out http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/sho...295#post673295 for some info on this.

I got 2 of these a few weeks back and they rock. I've been very tempted to get a 3rd for this price, but couldn't get the OK from the wife.

t500
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 10:11 PM

Did someone say install the correct drivers? What is that? OS X just plug and play baby!!!!!

Jerr

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:

Check out http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/sho...295#post673295 for some info on this.

I got 2 of these a few weeks back and they rock. I've been very tempted to get a 3rd for this price, but couldn't get the OK from the wife.
Your post pushed me over the edge.

Just bought two of them to replace my 20" cinema display. Still not sure if my Radeon 9600 Pro can support two 20" displays simultaneously but if so I am going to have one fine looking desktop... thanks for the link.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by robby818:
Your post pushed me over the edge.

Just bought two of them to replace my 20" cinema display. Still not sure if my Radeon 9600 Pro can support two 20" displays simultaneously but if so I am going to have one fine looking desktop... thanks for the link.
Your Radeon 9600 Pro will support two 20" displays just fine. It'll run two 23" HD displays simultaneously, fyi.


ZeroKoolNess1
Nov 23, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:

I have tried two times now (two days) and I can't get the 25% coupon off. Do I have to keep playing to get it or will any coupon (like if someone posted one) work for me. I really want to buy two of these.
That's just my opinion. What do I know, I'm just a college student.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by ZeroKoolNess1:
I have tried two times now (two days) and I can't get the 25% coupon off. Do I have to keep playing to get it or will any coupon (like if someone posted one) work for me. I really want to buy two of these.
The way to do it is to sign up with fake email addresses and send out notifications to 4 other fake email addresses. That way you get 5 tries per go.

Here's a freebie for the first one who gets it. $B1ZG32726VF9R

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 12:54 AM

How is it that Dell can market a 20" flat LCD monitor for $564 and Apple can only do so t $1300.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:28 AM

to be fair, Dell markets it for $799. Even after factoring in the cheap plastic factor, it would seem that Apple's 20" display is overpriced by a few hundred at least. The 23" and the 30" are good at least.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by TAZ:
How is it that Dell can market a 20" flat LCD monitor for $564 and Apple can only do so t $1300.
As the old answer goes "Volume".

I think Apple likes to keep a profit margin of 25-30%, I believe Dell's is around 6%. Dell sells direct while Apple goes through dealers that's another 20-25%.

So out of the $1299, probably $300 goes to the dealers (assuming you don't buy from Apple) and probably another $300-400 is pure profit.

You just can't beat Dell on price for commodity type items. Apple can beat them on quality and features, unfortunately for Apple they match on the former and lose on the latter.

So stop worrying about it and buy two Dell's or one and spend the extra money on a G5.

(All above numbers are guesses and could be way way off)

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 02:47 AM

Thank you, Paul. Just ordered one.
I, ASIMO.

badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 07:14 AM

i like the price, but too bad they are ugly

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
i like the price, but too bad they are ugly
Actually they are not ugly. True they are not as good looking as the Cinema Displays but if you compare them to most other LCD displays like Viewsonic or even Sony the design is quite nice. Considering that you can get this display for about half that of the 20" Cinema Display I think its pretty good looking.
( Last edited by striker100; Nov 24, 2004 at 01:34 PM. )

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
Actually they are not ugly. True they are not as good looking as the Cinema Displays but if you compare them to most other LCD displays like Viewsonic or even Sony the design is quite nice. Considering that you can get this display for about half that of the 20" Cinema Display I think its pretty good looking.
The problem with the images you see on the web is that Dell likes to put that ugly as sin sound bar in them. Those things are really ugly, but the monitors without them aren't bad at all.

I have no problem Dell bashing for fun, but in this case it really isn't appropriate. They sell an arguably superior product for less then 1/2 the price. It really makes me wonder what they could come up with if they built a G5.

Tastannin
Nov 24, 2004, 04:24 PM

I got one of those Dellf Delivers 25% off coupons and a $45 off coupon and picked up a 2001FP (1600x1200) for abt $550. Now I'm thinking should I have gone with the 2005FP (1680x1050) instead? I picked the 2001FP because it had much more room than the 2005FP.

Comments, anyone?
Ryan

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

I got my 2001FP just yesterday, and I like it. (On paper, it may not be as bright or fast as 2005FPW. But in the real usage, I doubt it makes much difference 16ms vs. 12ms).

I picked 2001FP ($604 + $41 sound bar) because it has 8% more pixels than 2005FPW. And 4:3 ratio works better with a lot of games.

If you don't plan to watch DVD or HD-TV on your monitor, you will be equally delighted with your 2001FP purchase. I have no regret on not switching my order to 2005FPW.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by gator:

[ALL INLINE IMAGES MUST BE NO WIDER THAN 500 PIXELS! --tooki]
tooki, do you realise how disruptive it is to a thread when you dont relink to the images?

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
tooki, do you realise how disruptive it is to a thread when you dont relink to the images?
Just noticed that tooki took the inline out. Just added in a link.

There's a nice review with much better pics here:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t246836.html
40GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules