Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > System Icon Replacement OS 9

System Icon Replacement OS 9
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2001, 12:41 PM

Where are the systems files kept in OS 9? I found on ResExcellence how to change in os 8.5 but there is no appearance extension that I can find in 9. Where are they kept? Also, is resedit the easiest way to do this?
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Cipher13
Jun 16, 2001, 08:44 AM

Um... what are you talking about?
The system files are kept in the System Folder.
Your post is unintelligible. You refer to system icons... you can copy an image and paste it as an icon via "get info".

But then you speak of system files and ResEditing... and the Appearance extension. Which doesn't exist, at all. In any OS. Its a control panel.

ResEdit is the best way to change picture resources - the Finder is the best way to change icons...

bottles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 01:14 PM

Hi Zeebe,

Although I realize that there was indeed an "Appearance" extension in OS 8, I too find your post a little confusing.
Could you go into more detail and explain exactly what System icons you're looking for or want to change? Once we understand your question, maybe we can help.

<font color = green>bottles</font>

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: bottles ]

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2001, 11:33 PM

What I want to do is change all the folder icons at one time, not copy paste and the such, I know how to do that. Also looking on changing the trash icon, the hard drive icon (without copy & pasting), different folders recognized by the system like utilities and documents and stuff like that.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

bottles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2001, 07:51 AM

Hi again zebee

Most (probably all) of the icons you're looking for are in the resource fork of the "System Resources" file (found in the System Folder). They're in the "icns" resource. Here are a few I know of right off hand.

ID -3984 is the Full Trash.
ID -3993 is the Empty Trash.
ID -3945 is the Utilities Folder

The problem you're going to run into is that ResEdit does not have an editor for this type of resource. The resources are all in hexadecimal.
However, there is a way around the problem. There's a shareware program called "Iconographer" that can open these icns resources in an edit window (just drag & drop the custom file or folder on Iconographer's icon).

If you would rather use ResEdit's edit window, you can choose Iconographer's "Save As" and you will be given a choice of formats in which to save the file. One choice is the old icon resource family. If you save the file in that format, you will be able to edit it with ResEdit, just like we used to do.

Iconographer can be downloaded from Version Tracker (use their search box).

Hope this helps,

bottles

Cipher13
Jun 18, 2001, 08:11 AM

Try icl8 ID -3999 and -3980.
Super ResEdit has a built in template for that kind of resource.

<anonymous>
Jun 18, 2001, 10:53 AM

FTR, the Appearance Extension does indeed exist. It, along with the Appearance CP, allows OS 7.5 users to have the Platinum appearance. This exten. was rolled into OS 8.0 and beyond.

Forum Links
Forum Rules