Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Spanning on a G4

Screen Spanning on a G4
Kreamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:36 PM

I really don't understand why apple had to cripple the G4 iBooks to make the PB stand out further. Anyway, i need screen spanning, and i decided to install the mod onto my 1.2Ghz 12"

From some i've heard disastrous stories about the GPU dying, and others said that they couldn't be happier with the mod. Personally, my iBook doesn't overheat, i check all around the case, and it's more or less the same temperature as with the screen mirrored.

Did anyone have any Issues?

Prithvi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 04:04 PM

I also have a 1.2ghz 12" and have not had any problems so far - I've had the mod installed for a few months. I don't think it'll do much harm to install it; in my experience upgrading the RAM has caused more heat than the mod.

Mmmmmoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kreamy
From some i've heard disastrous stories about the GPU dying, and others said that they couldn't be happier with the mod.
Wait.. what? Does this GPU dying thing happen to a lot of people? I haven't read about this happening to anyone before.
Needs more cowbell!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2005, 03:23 AM

My iBook G4 1.07ghz has been running the patch for over a year now. No problems here, just don't use clamshell mode.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Kreamy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 09:28 AM

yeah i don't intend to, thanks all for the feedback

Mmmmmoo: It happened to quite a few on another thread, either that or they were just bitter Powerbook users annoyed that they bought the PB solely for this feature

brickcam
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 01:13 PM

The hack works flawlessly. I think the heat problems are entirely due to the clamshell mode, which is a bad idea anyway. Having two monitors at home has been really nice...
Cameron

D-BLOCK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 09:59 PM

I have been using the mod for over a year on my eMac, and prob. 8 months on my iBook G4 1 Ghz.

Works well on both.

eMac 800 Mhz Radeon - 640 Mb - 40 Gb
iBook 1.07 Ghz Radeon - 768 Mb - 30 Gb

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 11:17 PM

The only thing that doesn't work right is clamshell mode: the computer never completely disables the internal adapter. Thus the external monitor only gets 16mb VRAM.

And before you say that I wouldn't want to run in clamshell mode anyway due to heat problems, there is a simple workaround. Putting the iBook in clamshell mode and then lifting the display up a few inches will give you the benefit of both worlds. If only I could have all that 32mb VRAM to my 19" external monitor...

Forum Links
Forum Rules