Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork 06 [Macworld Official Thread]

iWork 06 [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 2)
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 09:12 AM

Cool! If I read your screenshot correctly, inkhead, the user can add or delete any substitutions he wants. Terrific feature, I think.

Hopefully iWork '06 arrives at the nearby Apple store soon if it hasn't already.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 04:42 AM

Hadn't looked at this for a couple of days and it got rather far down the list.... And now I've got the iWork '06 trial that came with iLife '06 so I've seen the auto-correction and such things for myself - I will be leaving it off though .

Anyway, the first few things I've checked are just as they were in '05 - you can't save window positions properly with Pages documents (kind of important on a 12" screen) and in fact it isn't even dock aware - open three new documents and the last one ends under the dock ... open up about 30 and they just head right off the screen. And you still don't seem to be able to stop Keynote wanting to take almost the whole screen with a new document either. And that which I was most interested in, text still isn't antialiased as nicely as it should be, a la TextEdit or similar ... these are things I was asking for in feedback and hoping for in minor patches - not expecting to still have lacking at the next versions, but never mind .

Mighty_Mike_T
Jan 19, 2006, 04:58 PM

Have there been improvements in the way Pages generates HTML? It's done some funky things with not-so-complicated documents (a colored box at the top of the page translates to an IMG tag placed way at the bottom of the resulting HTML page, for example)...

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2006, 01:32 PM

I also got the iWork trial in the new iLife box. I'll do a good backup and try and play with it this weekend and post my reactions. I've actually just written two new Keynote presentations, and will be giving the second next week in class, so hopefully I'll be able to test Keynote in action.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 02:18 PM

Keynote 3 has some nice features, including new per-bullet build-in and build-out options, better auto-bulleted text boxes, a new slide sorter, compatibility with Expose and Dashboard, and a presentation-rehersal mode.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Keynote 3 has some nice features, including new per-bullet build-in and build-out options, better auto-bulleted text boxes, a new slide sorter, compatibility with Expose and Dashboard, and a presentation-rehersal mode.
I was kind of afraid of that. Pages 2 doesn't seem all that compelling (still haven't tried it), but those new Keynote 3 features sound very nice. Damn you, Apple, for trying to separate me from my money!!! (And usually succeeding.)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 20, 2006, 03:19 PM

Interesting. Pages 2 will display bubble comments from converted Word files.

Does someone have a list of the changes between iWork '05 and iWork '06? Apple lists the main upgrades for Pages and Keynote on its website, but I'd like to see a list of all the upgrades.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 20, 2006 at 03:27 PM. )

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 04:53 PM

I thought the autocorrect would be cool but apart from auto-cap and the other prebuilt corrections, the autocorrect is limited to what you tell it to autocorrect. WTF? I have to program Pages??
i look in your general direction

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 06:25 PM

It still shows misspelled words. I would find it terribly annoying if it started to guess at what I was typing if the word didn't happen to be in the dictionary.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 12:46 PM

Anyone have feedback on how this works in a design/ad agency atmosphere? I see this as a really great tool to come out with stunning presentation documents like proposals, briefs, and budgets.

In regards to copy revisions, however, may be a bit more challenging, where everyone in the corporate world uses Word (which once in awhile will still give me %#$& a bazillion font corruption errors). No need to import/export, I would think; just open in (ick) Word, and edit/copy/paste, etc.

Is this pretty much how everyone in this industry who has iWork uses it this way?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 12:48 PM

Fix The Forum!
( Last edited by iomatic; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:21 PM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 12:49 PM

Fix The Forum!
( Last edited by iomatic; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:21 PM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 12:50 PM

Fix The Forum!
( Last edited by iomatic; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:22 PM. )

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 01:21 PM

Well, my iWork '06 test drive lasted exactly 20 minutes, and most of that was installation time. I was annoyed first by how much disk space was eaten up -- the Keynote package alone is over 1 GB!! Kinda unbelievable, especially since I just chewed up a ton of disk space with the iLife update (I'll be unloading some of that soon). Anyway, once I got it installed, I tried opening up a copy of a Keynote presentation I'm working on for class. I thought I'd use Keynote 3 to finish doing the transitions last night and to present this morning. Well, I couldn't even open my presentation, or another I did last week. It would try and open, give a generic error, and then stop -- this was when I double-clicked the file in the Finder. If I went to Keynote's Open menu, the file still would fail to open, and this time without even the generic error.

At this point I deleted all of iWork '06 and went back to work in Keynote 2 (iWork '05). I was really worried that the trial version would tempt me to drop cash on the upgrade. Instead, it saved me from the trouble and disappointment.

My experience may not be universal, but based on what I saw, I can't recommend this upgrade. I used to have more time to troubleshoot stuff like this, but any more I'm too busy and just need it to work out of the box. This didn't. (And again, a 1+ GB package for Keynote?? Version 2 is just over 200 MB. WTF is in there??)

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 24, 2006, 04:31 PM

I was going to say quite a bit would be down to localisations but it doesn't seem to be. The three new higher resolution 'themes' seem to have a lot to answer for - 22MB each making 66MB per theme x about 6 themes they're included for ... there's at least a new 300-400MB!

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 03:39 AM

The new Pages has comments- this is cool because it suggests that we will soon have Word's most valuable features: Track Changes and Compare Documents. I'll buy it as soon as Pages gets these features.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 01:44 PM

i'm pretty sure Pages 2 has that already
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ryaxnb
i'm pretty sure Pages 2 has that already
I have been using Pages 2 quite a lot. I don't think it does.

I think these features are less important anyway. What would be great is to be able to type and see it on the screen immediately, or not to have a document become corrupt and cause the program to crash.

It still has more than a few teething problems. It is useable but a bugfix update is needed soon.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
What would be great is to be able to type and see it on the screen immediately, or not to have a document become corrupt and cause the program to crash.

It still has more than a few teething problems. It is useable but a bugfix update is needed soon.
I have yet to witness this with Pages. Maybe I don't type fast enough...but I ain't exactly slow either...

Never had a corrupt file. I use Pages nearly everyday of the workweek. Got it as soon as Pages 1 came out. I have hundreds of Pages files. All work just as they did when I started them.

I don't use the comments stuff too much but it does show up when you export to Word and back. Doesn't work quite like Track Changes but it still gets the points across.

Of course, I am always ready for an update.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
I have yet to witness this with Pages. Maybe I don't type fast enough...but I ain't exactly slow either...

Never had a corrupt file. I use Pages nearly everyday of the workweek. Got it as soon as Pages 1 came out. I have hundreds of Pages files. All work just as they did when I started them.

I don't use the comments stuff too much but it does show up when you export to Word and back. Doesn't work quite like Track Changes but it still gets the points across.

Of course, I am always ready for an update.
The delay between typing and letters on screen is worst with my G4 PowerMac. The processor in this is not much slower than my PowerBook but the graphics card is much older. I wondered if this was a screen drawing issue which relied on the graphics architecture heavily. Saying that both computers are well within the requirements for iWork so this shouldn't happen.

As far as the corrupt file this has only happened once. I think that section endnotes in my document may have been the cause because when I went back to an old copy of the document from before I tried out the new feature and added all of my other edits to that the document has been fine. The version containing endnotes became corrupted twice after editing. It worked fine but when I saved and closed reopening the file caused the application to crash.

I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem anywhere else either but it crashed more than one installation of Pages.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

There seem to be quite a few people on Apple Discussions that have problems with speed using Pages. There seems to be no real answer as it doesn't seem to affect everyone on a variety of computers.

Maybe an update could help those with the issue. Maybe it will even make it snappier for everyone else.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 11:35 PM

Speed would be nice but it won't solve the problem that text is just plain ugly in Pages and it's hard to use after TextEdit, or even Word!

Forum Links
Forum Rules