Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]

MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 3)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
(Me, I just need to wait for a couple of drivers, Logic, and a FireWire 800 ExpressCard 34 expansion, and I'll be good to go! )
Just to add:

As soon as they release my 13.3" version, running 1280 x 820

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 08:47 PM

*shudders*

I don't even want to think about how much that would cost.

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj

I really wanted a black carbon fibre PB. LOL....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price be damned
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 08:51 PM

1. Apple Macbook = Worst Name Ever

They are abandoning one of the coolest sounding laptop names ever for this campy new name. Powerbook was very cool. Even if they are merging the notebook lines...another bad idea...why not keep Powerbook? Make a Powerbook Pro if you want....but damn it...Macbook? Just embarrasing...sounds like a toy.

Every now and again Apple shows its dorky side. Macbook is one of those times.

2. No new enclosure? Eh. Its now been what...6 years? They started the whole silver phenomenon with the TiBook. Ok. Well done. Its over. Black is back.

3. Specs. Ya. It'll be fast, I'm happy about that. Well...it will be fast..when there is pro software.

PC performance, blah case, lame name, no software. I'll wait.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 08:57 PM

It will be interesting to see what is gone for good, or temporary.
FW800 - maybe it will be in later MacBooks
Classic - anybody really use this anymore? Apple would really like to see it die, but they are amiss if they don't make it official that it will not work on the Macbooks.
target- disk mode - are they working on a USB2 variation? Does it even work in the new models?
S-video - maybe they are waiting to put an HDMI port instead.
modem - I think they are relying on bluetooth modem, if its even there.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
MacBook Pro? They couldn't have picked a better name?
At least they didn't decide to call it the "Mactel book"

By necessity, they have to move away from the old name since there are no PowerPC's inside anymore. It's hard to come up with a new laptop name after all, just think of some of the other hideous permuations:

Macinbook
Macintel book
The laptop previously known as the powerbook --> *insert snazzy new symbol here*
The Appintel laptop
etc etc.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

cvbcvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 08:59 PM

For those needing a modem, big deal, plug in this:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecmac/sho...pno~641449.asp

It weighs all of what - 3 ounces? Is that too much to lug around? If it is then buy a PC (or how about the last generation Powerbook...).

Does anyone remember when the iMac came out without a floppy? People screamed “stupid!” just like on this forum. If you needed a floppy, people bought an external. It wasn’t the end of the world.

As for Firewire 800 - maybe someone could ask at MacWorld why it wasn’t included. And who’s to say it won’t be included in future revisions? As for right now, it will only be a matter of time before a Firewire 800/ExpressCard34 is available. In October 2005, a Firewire 800/ExpressCard54 was already announced:

http://www.siig.com/news.asp?pr=46

BTW, as stated here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1472734,00.asp

“ExpressCard will have the theoretical maximum throughput to transfer data at a whopping 250 MBps (actually, 500 MBps total; 250 MBps to the computer in one direction and 250 MBps to the card in the other). This is in comparison to the now seemingly sluggish 132-MBps PC Card standard.“

So ExpressCard34 will offer lots of superfast card options. It’s cutting edge technology folks.

And as for the DVD-DL downgrade, that has been explained earlier - there’s NO drive available that can fit inside the case! Again, if you need it inside the portable then buy a PC (or how about the last generation Powerbook...).

And for those wanting opinions on whether or not to buy the MacBook Pro, don’t get them here. After EVERY new Powerbook model/revision many people would moan and complain on these forums - just remember - there will ALWAYS be new models/revisions released in the future. Get a computer and use it. That’s what it’s for.

CVB

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 09:01 PM

So did they have these puppies displayed at the Expo? How come noone has submitted any benchmarks yet.

Rule #1 for people at Macworld.

Pry these MacBooks out of the Apple people's hands, and run some benchmarks on them. XBench would be a good place to start just to get an idea....

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 09:05 PM

really...
this is a great machine.
slimmer,
faster...
better screen.
all the things we usually ask for...

transitions are never easy (like cvbcvb said, about the floppy...or remember when apple moved to usb, and everyone cried about scsi, and there were no usb periphs?)

the macbook (i still prefer "powerbook", alas) is a great next step.
i can't wait to play with one...

(as i said earlier, will wait till summer, in the hopes of a 12", or 13"...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Nuks
Jan 10, 2006, 09:29 PM

Does this have a DVD burner at all? Some people were saying 4x single layer, but I can't find it anywhere on their site....

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 09:31 PM

so can someone clear up a few q's on the specs as i am not that ofay with tech details.

Is the front side bus speed a good one?
Is the hard disk type better than that in PBs and will it have quick access times
Video card preformance: 256mb says good, how good is that?
with this new boot format EFI or whatever, will that allow for partioning and having a second OS like Vista installed?

I'l be waiting for late in the year when i can:
A. The 17 incher cometh
B. Any kinks are worked out
C. The speed gets bumped
D. I can afford it

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 09:37 PM

I know this is typical of this forum since we are mac snobs (yes you are!), but come on.

I actualy LIKE the name. You are just used to powerbook.

Years from now when they change the name from macbook pro to awesomebook, you'll all be mad. I mean, powerbook isn't the best name every. I like it because I associate it with apple's great laptop.

Anyway... it's a great update. Better screens. Sweet. that is what we needed the most.

Didn't change form factor, but we all like the form factor, so good.

It's faster. It's the G5 we all WANTED, but now it's here and its better and faster.

SAME PRICE!

They lost the modem? Who cares? Are any of you currently on this forum using a modem. Good luck with that. Who buys a 2000 dollar laptop but uses a modem to get to the Internet.

Slower DVD player. Big deal. It will still take awhile for the disc to burn no matter if it's 8 or 4. Not a big deal.

FW800 -- Come on, you never used it. Admit it. You just want to know it's there in case you do.

The biggest thing for me is finding out how software will work on this new laptop. That's the part I'm unsure of.

But as far as this update, I think it's a clear winner.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 09:40 PM

Ummm has anyone noticed that there is no 17" ??

Maybe they will come later but still they should have had a 17" included IMHO.

Battery life... i noticed a few posters saying that apple has not been bragging about it and infact has had no mention of its life on its webpages. Just to ease your minds i have read some reviews on the core duo setup on the dell and it is supposed to run a little longer than the centrino and a little cooler (correct me if im wrong

I reckon they are gonna really annoy buyers who want dual layer dvd burners LOL. what were they thinking putting only a single layer??? it must be a finance thing where they couldnt do a deal to supply dual layer burners cheap enough to make the macbook price resonable.

I hope the new power cord doesnt come out too easily

I think it sux they kept the same shape. should have put curved edges on the front man!!! once again.... possibly a finance thing... too expensive to change the shape of the system thereby keeping the production cost down to a minimum.

And i still think the entire system is too expensive!

but 4x fatser is nice i suppose.

Hey, any guesses on how long PPC software will continue to be suooprted? like... how long before we start seeing less and less of those 'universal binaries' symbols on products.

I still love my 17" PB 1.67..... i will use it for the next 4 or 5 years so much water will pass under the bridge before i upgrade again.

goodluck.
robM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 09:49 PM

Yeah, a new form factor would be nice. Though the silver is sexy, black is where its at.

PISMO owners know what I`m talking about.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
The biggest storyfor me aside from the dual core is the fact that there was no (or very little) FORM FACTOR CHANGE.

I really wanted a black carbon fibre PB. LOL....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price be damned
Make your own. If you're seriously getting a hard-on about a carbon fiber case, it wouldn't be out of the question to make your own. A few friends at a composites or machine shop, a few hundred bucks, and a lot of patience and you could do it.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 10:00 PM

This whole first "MacBook Pro" all feels a little too much like the first "PowerBook G3" (Kanga). Remember those? They were completely obsolete the minute the Wallstreets were released.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 10:06 PM

although screen size is a personal perference (i like the size and weight of a 12" but i like the screen size of a 17")

overall, this a machine with the future in mind.

1. SATA instead of IDE (according to the reading i've done, SATA is faster, consumes less energy, etc)
2. all the other pc makers have played their hands last week at CES. no one has anything close to the macbook in terms of size.
3. MagSafe is going to be a godsend for anyone who uses an ac adapter.
4. iSight built in - if the future is video-ipod casting, then we're all seet.
5. brighter screen/hi-res - i guess it is better appreciated when comparing 2 notebooks side by side
6. new battery technology - a lot of tech articles say how there hasn't been any real breakthroughs in battery technology, so it is good to have the bleeding edge here.
7. express card - sigh.... i think we have to wait for the Wintel people to make this take off the ground.

engadget.com had this really nice interview with Bill Gates, and when asked about Apple using Intel chips, he basically said that Mac OS is superior, but it is the PCs that bring the new technology to critical mass, which is really head on.

So when more and more people get the new generation of laptops with express card, that's when we'll see more express card peripherals. until then, we'll have to wait.

i think the real question is going to be....get it now, or wait until Rev B. I'm concerned that Rev B won't come out until all the other product lines have been refreshed (so maybe a year from now {worst case scenario})
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:18 PM

macbook size is hardly anything new and innovative. it's a good size, but nothing to write home about. since the size has pretty much been around for many, many years or eons by technology standards.

bleeding edge doesn't belong on any mass produced thing ... esp a complex piece of hardware like a portable computer.

show me a BillG quote saying that he thinks the Mac OS is superior which i'm assuming you're saying he was comparing it to windows. pls dude.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 10:21 PM

The upgrade is significant because of the Intel chip. The "poor" screenresolution and the downgrade of the DVD burner are not good news. FW800 is overkill for a laptop.

I think the rev B of this mactel will be a better buy. Mainly because of the applications. (Rosetta means performance loss, keep the PowerPC!)

I am not sure if they should have changed the design or not. I do think that the current design is a bit outdated. (a bit 90s, at least in Europe, but then again Apple's market is in the US)
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

LlamaBoy
Jan 10, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by k2director
I'll have a MacBook, and throw in a McShake, and some McNuggets with that, please.
Hilarious!!

Personally I think the specs on the new laptop look fantastic! I have patiently held off the last two or three PowerBook updates waiting for a really drastic change, and now we have it. The increase in the FSB alone is worth upgrading, let alone a Dual-Core Intel Processor. The ATI graphics card at 256megs is running DDR3, also an upgrade.

As far as Apple releasing really killer Rev B "MacBooks" in three months, I wouldn't count on this. Much like the Centrino mobile processor line, the Intel Yonah processor isn't speed imperative, meaning the race for megahertz is over for now. The fastest you will see the current line of Yonah processors at 65nm will max out at about 2.16 GHz. The next processor line from Intel after Yonah will be Merom, which will be an architecture change.

Bottom line is that if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you will miss out on quite a bit.

Kermy
Jan 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mallrat
They lost the modem? Who cares? Are any of you currently on this forum using a modem. Good luck with that. Who buys a 2000 dollar laptop but uses a modem to get to the Internet.
Uh c'mon! Stop being so ignorant. I bought a $2000+ laptop and still had to use my modem from time to time. Ever hear of DSL/Cable going down? What do you do then? Why I get on my modem. Dur! Oh what about faxing? Modem! Oooh what about when I'm away from my house and I need to get online but all the wifi points are secured! MODEM!

I mean it sucks that I have to buy an external modem but saying I buy a $2000 laptop and don't use the modem is just...well...ignorant.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

lucksith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=Kenstee]
Originally Posted by uicandrew
I've ordered mine already; top of the line. Hopefully, it comes Feb 1st. some observations:
5. this is one notebook where I will definitely buy applecare for. Since it is a first revision and I am buying the top of the line model, this laptop is a keeper. I don't forsee what kind of technology that would be introduced that would cause me to get a new laptop in the next 4 years or so. (except maybe touchscreen)/QUOTE]

You've got to be kidding! Especially with a Rev A. The Intel processor in this will be obsolete within 9 months. Intel has a very dynamic and agressive path for their processors and chipsets. This Rev A will be a s-l-o-w boat in very short order.

The real advantges of the transition to Intel - which are greatly inhanced battery life and light weight - haven't been realized yet. This 15" is a monster at 5.4 lbs. And notice they haven't said anything about battery life. I wonder why?

Bottom line......Apple rushed this out the door to get in the game as fast as possible for stock valuation and PR purposes which is fine for them and stockholders. They esstially cramed it into their existing AL body to get it out. However, this initial version is a tease. It's more of a large scale beta test than anything else. Personally, I wouldn't be rushing into this. Let the dust settle and Apple learn from this inital offering before jumping in. I'll bet there will be a Rev B. in less than 3 months.

And wait till you see the new form factor in a little while.
I totally agree. This is a stopgap offering. That's why it's only in the 15" form factor. My guess is that there will be a sleek new design for both the 12" and 17" Powerbook. This one looks a little kludged together. I bought my 1ghz 17" Powerbook the day of MacWorld 3 years ago. I will be keeping my hands in my pockets for a while...

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by runejoha
FW800 is overkill for a laptop.
Not for me it was not. I understand that I will most likely be able to use the express port for that later.

Bear in mind we all different needs.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:46 PM

For the last year, Powerbook users have been moaning (rightly) about PBook speeds, video cards, and dim screens.

At first blush, Apple blows all these out of the water and we get moaning about modems, and Firewire 800...!?

That said, I still wanted a more inovation/design in the form factor...the Ti/Al box is getting a bit long in the tooth.

freeThinker113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:48 PM

The MacBook Pro looks very nice. But I would hold off on buying one until the 2nd gen. comes out. I think this was somewhat of a rush job just to have a hot product announcement. I think WWDC will offer something more substantial. So, I the apparent death of Firewire 800, S-video, etc. might be premature.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 10:51 PM

MarkJ61, I totally agree with you. I was about to get this MacBook ASAP. Even one for my wife to replace her aging G3 iBook. But actually thinking before purchasing, I'm sensing that this is just a 'large speedbump' with the same form factor and lack of DVD.

What also made me decide to wait is the optimized software... I'll wait until April-June. The S-Video port was one of my hopes as I'd be upgrading from a 12" PB. I hate the dongle!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 10, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by BENJMNS
macbook size is hardly anything new and innovative. it's a good size, but nothing to write home about. since the size has pretty much been around for many, many years or eons by technology standards.

bleeding edge doesn't belong on any mass produced thing ... esp a complex piece of hardware like a portable computer.
Well, clearly this was brought to market on the fast path. ID takes a long time; this machine should be evaluated based on what it is: an Intel-based notebook that uses a slightly tweaked ID that Apple already had on hand.

Anyone who wants a fast new laptop that runs MacOS X should be happy with it.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 10:52 PM

Just chiming in, but after reading the first page it seems everything has been mentioned. I am currently using a 1.25 15" with the backlit keyboard. The modem, I've never used it, so for me I guess it makes sense, but I can't shake the feeling like I want it just incase I do need it. No FW 800, that surprised me too. I don't know if Apple got rid of this previously, but I don't see an S-Video out. I only have a 7-in-one card reader for my PC Card slot, so it's not like I would be losing a huge investment in PC Cards, but it still kinda sucks that I'd have to get a new one. One thing I am looking forward to reading about users installing Windows for those pesky PC only programs. As things stand now, I think this is a wait to buy for me.

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:56 PM

Actually, MikeD, despite no new design, I likey will be a buyer.

My main point was that this (finally) should be way more than just a typical ho-hum speed bump.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 11:05 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was wondering if perhaps the "downgrade" of the DVD burning speed from 8X to 4X was just a more realistic measure of the speed of the CURRENT DVD burners. The fact that some of these 8X DVD burners barely hit 4X unless you used very specific media might have made Apple provide more realistic numbers...

Just a thought!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 11:16 PM

Well, I think I'll wait until the reports on software come out... I really did want to upgrade and was ready to do so... But I just have to make sure my apps will actually work well with this. It would be nice also to dual boot for the rare times I need to use windows...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 11:16 PM

This is clearly just an opening salvo. It's enough to satiate Mac users who were craving more powerful laptops, but obviously the second iteration of the MacBook Pro will include different sizes and hopefully (technology permitting) DL burners.

I agree that dropping the "Power" from the book is obviously due to the loss of the PowerPC chip. What I don't get is why not call it Mac ProBook? That sounds much better in my opinion.

I think we should all take to calling it the "ProBook." When I finally get one, that's what I'll call it, but that won't be until DL's are back.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 11:21 PM

Sweet God, the B++ching never ends.

A name?

A modem?

60 pixels?

I swear us Mac dweebs seriously deserve the whining reputation with hang-ups like this.

Most of you seem to display no practical knowledge that there are actual realities that need to be met to maintain price points, etc.

For the longest time the PB under performed so was padded with 'extras'

Now it flies and there are complaints about its missing the old 'trim'

Sure, FW 800 will be missed… but short of that, get a grip people.

My Al15 1.33 suddenly seems geriatric.

T

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
This is clearly just an opening salvo. It's enough to satiate Mac users who were craving more powerful laptops, but obviously the second iteration of the MacBook Pro will include different sizes and hopefully (technology permitting) DL burners.

I agree that dropping the "Power" from the book is obviously due to the loss of the PowerPC chip. What I don't get is why not call it Mac ProBook? That sounds much better in my opinion
I think it has more to do with the fact that the recent Powerbooks (and to a lesser extent the PowerMacs) still carry the stigma among more knowledgable potential "switchers" of being underpowered and overpriced. Changing the name helps Apple avoid the baggage when marketing them. The iMac still enjoys relatively positive brand recognition, so it was in Apple's interests to keep the name. I suspect the iBook's name will remain unchanged for the same reason.

The product lines will be (assuming they all survive as distinct lines):
Mac Pro (formerly PowerMac)
MacBook Pro
iMac
iBook
Mac Mini

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

templetalker
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by baw
MacBook is so 1991.
No shi+! I'm sorry ahead of time folks but its time for me to go on a rant! I've been jarring it all inside but man get ready because I'm gonna stink this one up with good ol' stevo's BS beans! Trademarked and I don't give a flying jollopy what you guys think about my opinion it's just the plain old' truth in my own mind.

I wish honest Abe was still alive to cut down the new Apple tree which appears to be riddled with no confidence monkey boys and girls, which is apparent in the lack of risk taking for a new powerbook design and lack of info posted about battery times on the official page.

Lets talk about this design issue. A lot of people have been waiting around, many more than myself for a chance to finally delve their hard earned money into the NEW powerbook for eon's, its called the "next Tuesday" syndrome. Well woopty freakin' doo, where's Mary Poppin's when we're forced to swallow this big let down of a digital turd. Think about all those poor folks who own some newton-esque powerbook if and when apple does change the design of the powerbook and upgrades to a real intel chip-set.

There's also a couple of monkey's in that tree who don't listen to us, wait its all monkey's! They're so busy caressing their endless supply of banana's aka past design triumphs they forgot to eat! Thirdly below this holy Apple tree is a triad of endless stock holders and patrons that have been tribal dancing around the trunk like a bunch of peyote'd fools who thinks that any apple this tree produces is delicious. Well that leads me into my final edition of this non-linear commentary which if you haven't noticed is all towards the flop that is the 1991 nightmare MAC-Book! Heck why don't they call it the "Mac Daddy" or the "Big Macbook" or dedicate it to a long time famouse mac fan and call it the "Herbie Mac-cock."

What's that? Ohh its the sound of a car crashing, a balloon deflating and a very loong winded moan from the entire mac community.

( Last edited by templetalker; Jan 10, 2006 at 11:38 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 11:30 PM

A few points:

Part of me wanted to see a new form factor, just to see what Apple could do, but there was also part of me that wanted them to keep the old one, which is my favorite laptop design of all time. The aluminum design has been around for 3 years (the 12" and 17" PowerBooks were released in January of 2003) and the 15" model wasn't released until September 2003). So while it's been a while, there have been other designs that were around longer (the Wallstreet Lombard and Pismo all used essentially the same design). I think they just had their hands full with the Intel transition and didn't have the time or resources to devote to a new body design. But on the plus side, the biggest problems that I read about when the Titanium and Aluminum designs debuted had to do with the form factor. It took a while for Apple to perfect it. So at least we shouldn't have to deal with things like that.

I personally will trade a brighter screen for an extra 60 pixels of resolution, since I use mine on a desk with a 23" cinema display attached. I currently use a 12" powerbook with this setup, and the difference in brightness between the portable's screen and the cinema display is distracting.

I was upset by the lack of a PC card at first, mostly because I know that PC card slots can help stave off obsolescence. If they come out with a new technology (like USB 2 was for the older PowerBooks) having a PC card slot allows you to upgrade. But by the time that would be necessary there should be cards of the new type available, so it's no big deal for me. Obviously if you need to use currently available PC cards, this would be a problem.

I think Mallrat had a good point when he said that this is the PowerBook G5 we were all waiting for. If Apple had never announced the switch to Intel and had instead released a machine called the PowerBook G5 with these exact specs (in terms of performance) I think we'd be ecstatic. Up to 4x as fast?! Sure, the old powerbooks were getting long in the tooth in terms of their speed and you'll probably see more like a 2x speed improvement in real life, but that's still amazing! Most of the bitching here is because this machine doesn't embody everything that people hoped Apple might do. A lot of people were hoping for something totally new and different, but for most people this is a fantastic upgrade from the old machines.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
I think we should all take to calling it the "ProBook." When I finally get one, that's what I'll call it, but that won't be until DL's are back.
I think that is great, PROBOOK it is.

I have my 17 inch 1.33 and I have not seen any real significant improvements since that model until now. I can work around the FW 800 dilema for awhile, I do have a desktop that acesses those drives too.

The dual layer thing, I have never used it and have noticed that it is media picky.

The screen rez? Brighter is much better than more pixels for me, maybe not for all.

So I ordered one, loaded. If I don't like it, I can always put it on ebay and get top dollar.

The only thing that concerns me is how long it will take iView Media Pro, Photoshop CS2 to upgrade to max performance.

The next rev?
Who knows?
Might be a better form factor, 4GB of ram, faster front side bus, 512 mb video card, 800, that is the chance we all take.

But right now, I am due for a speed upgrade. The Powerbook / Probook is the most important computer I use. This new machine seems to have made the speed jump I was hoping for in a G5 PB.

I'll let you all know when I get it how good it is.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

supernature
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 11:39 PM

After a few months, if the MacBook name still sounds strange, then I think they should rename it. The good thing is that this is the transitional laptop for Apple. Well, meaning, that they could eventually say it was a transitional laptop, and so the may not stick with the name.

Well, I noticed that the PowerBooks, iBooks, and iMac G5s have no change in their prices, and their availability seems unchanged. The new iMac targets the masses and the new MacBook Pro... well, it was just in dire need of more horsepower. So they both seem like wise choices to start with Intel first. The PowerMacs with quad processors are well off for now, and the iBooks and Mac-mini are priced too low to include any of the new Intel processors.

The ExpressCard takes place of the FireWire 800. The 400 needs to stay alive to work with DV cameras. The brighter screen is a welcome addition (I always thought the screens were bright enough already - at least compared to iBooks). Pixel-wise, I think it's just fine. Until the operating system and web environment can get out of static pixel land, I'd rather have a screen where I can read the text from my chair instead of hunched over. The wider screen is a little bit better, but why not just go 16:9? It's not even 3:2 anymore. It's 8:5 (16:10 for those who can't multiply).

I expect Apple to sell plenty of the new Intel-base machines, only because there's only 3 to choose from at this point. I think it's a very good starting point for Apple.... but the name, MacBook... I just don't know.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 11:40 PM

My MacBook Pro I ordered has a modem. Sure it is a dongle and it cost a few bucks. So what?

Is everyone overlooking that this new "book" comes with Front Row? iSight? iLife 06?

How many times have you dragged, dropped or almost dropped you laptop thanks to the traditional power cord? I have. MagSafe sure looks promising.

Maybe I'm the only one that caught it in his speech, but Steve said they wanted the name "Mac" in the name of the new laptop. Try to get past the Powerbook name. MacBook Pro makes a lot of sense if you look at it from more than one point of view.

Maybe the "book" will be crap. The square wheel inventor thought the same of the round wheel inventor. :-) I'll take a chance and get one. I'm betting my risk will provide plenty of reward.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

supernature
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

One more thing...

I remember when the PowerBook first came out, a lot of people didn't know it was a Mac.

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 11:45 PM

My hat in the ring for ProBook too.

Apple already "owns" and has a big cache in the name "xxBook", they dont have to stoopify it by putting "Mac" in front of it.

It's less cool to be a Mac if you have to shout that its a Mac.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 11:49 PM

It's a really sweet laptop (video card especially). Not sure whether to get this or to wait for the Merom iteration later this year. For those that are unaware, Merom is the successor to Yonah and it's a lot more like AMD chips (it's 64-bit, AMD64 or EMT64 or x86-64 or whatever you want to call it). Merom will make Yonah look pretty pale in comparison both in performance and in power consumption. But by then, AMD will have some really kick-ass chips (Taylor mobile dual core) that'll make Merom look pretty meek (why didn't Apple just go with AMD????).

Also, don't care about FW-800 one bit. Why oh why was the connector different from FW-400? A tad annoyed by the lack of the modem, but I can live with it.

typ993
Jan 10, 2006, 11:51 PM

S-video - maybe they are waiting to put an HDMI port instead.
Actually, I think you can get an adapter that plugs into the DVI port that will give you S-video. That is explicitly mentioned for the iMac and I thought I read somewhere in the MBP specs that the S-video adapter is available separately.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 11:53 PM

is it confirmed that we will be able to install Windows on the mactel machines?

MacBook Pro... horrible name...

everything else that is gone or new.. meh.. not that big of a deal.

and yea, no reason to change the form or material, its great as it is, why change just for change?
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
Sweet God, the B++ching never ends.

A name?

A modem?

60 pixels?

I swear us Mac dweebs seriously deserve the whining reputation with hang-ups like this.

Most of you seem to display no practical knowledge that there are actual realities that need to be met to maintain price points, etc.

For the longest time the PB under performed so was padded with 'extras'

Now it flies and there are complaints about its missing the old 'trim'

Sure, FW 800 will be missed… but short of that, get a grip people.

My Al15 1.33 suddenly seems geriatric.

T

I, for one, am ecstatic about the update and completely agree with you. I will gladly give up little things here and there to get as substanial a speed boost as this, and the new graphics card, and serial ATA hard drive. If they put a porsche engine in a civic, I for one would not complain that it still looked like civic, I would drive fast! Apple made a great choice, because without this update we would have G4s in our power, or whatever books forever.

rparke1
Banned
Jan 10, 2006, 11:58 PM

someone said that there 1.33 or whatever now feels slow to them, how do ya think i feel with my 1ghz ti? hehe, anyways, screen estate, down 60 pixels? bleh, it can run the 30 inch monster now, who really cares. no modem? get the dongle for a few bucks more. what im really liking is the new audio in an out, very snazzy. about the front row and track pad scrolling. already got those covered on my ti so basically, mine is like the pro powerbook except not as fast and the resolution of the screen isnt as good, but thats covered by my 23''. i like the new 'books' but ill have to wait for another couple of revs.

GO 10.4.4 and itunes .2 and ipod software/quick time updates!!!

:-) good day for me and us all

after thought, hope the 10.4.4 upgrade wont hurt any of my "special upgrades" i mentioned, will get back after testing

update: no more frontrow, invisidock is gone and the black arrows are back, and my front row doesnt work anymore say la vee. trackpad scrolling still works for me :-)

update 2: (if anyone cares) frontrow is up and running again. just had to reinstall
( Last edited by rparke1; Jan 11, 2006 at 04:24 AM. )

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:06 AM

MacCrap
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 12:15 AM

The lack of a modem is just unbelievable. I travel with my current 1.67 G4 all over the world and for most of the planet, dialup is the only option. How is one supposed to connect from Uganda, Turkey or Poland etc. (all places I have used dialup from a hotel). No FW800 is a real blow... I have 2 LaCie 320GB drives hooked to my PB and the speed difference with 800 vs 400 is significant. I don't know if this new MacBook is a "Pro" machine - it seems lacking in 2 major ways.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Trygve
The lack of a modem is just unbelievable. I travel with my current 1.67 G4 all over the world and for most of the planet, dialup is the only option. How is one supposed to connect from Uganda, Turkey or Poland etc. (all places I have used dialup from a hotel). No FW800 is a real blow... I have 2 LaCie 320GB drives hooked to my PB and the speed difference with 800 vs 400 is significant. I don't know if this new MacBook is a "Pro" machine - it seems lacking in 2 major ways.

you can get an external modem (like apple's one, really small, nice).
the new card slot will bring you firewire800 access (soon, likely).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

x user
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:23 AM

Where is my damn 13" widescreen model

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 12:28 AM

I've been looking to upgrade from my 17" 1.33 but I'll be waiting some time longer ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules