Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is "Smooth Jazz" music?

Is "Smooth Jazz" music? (Page 2)
chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
No offense caused, I'm glad you created this thread. I love talking about music as a whole...

Botti's CDs are available to listen to in iTunes and on his website, if you are interested. If you are interested in fusion, I can give you a listening list... I've been listening to a lot of it lately
I'll give him a listen when time permits. One new thing that I've been enjoying that's in a jazzy vein, is Chris Thile's album Deciever. He's also a member of Nickel Creek, I think. Good stuff, and relatively unclassifiable.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 01:32 PM

Generally speaking, I don't like Country. Saying that Smooth Jazz is not music and is pure fluff is different, see the difference here?
Fine, yes smooth jazz is music, but i wouldn't classify it as jazz.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I'll give him a listen when time permits. One new thing that I've been enjoying that's in a jazzy vein, is Chris Thile's album Deciever. He's also a member of Nickel Creek, I think. Good stuff, and relatively unclassifiable.

One concept I've been thinking about a lot lately is music that is "well grounded". I hear this phrase occassionally from musiciains usually older and more experienced than myself.

I've been listening to the Attention Span Radio iTunes Radio station for a while. They play contemporary fusion on this station I've been listening to. I can almost always tell when something is well-grounded (in jazz), and when the musicians don't really have a lot of musical ability (or, as musicians often say: "chops"). However, I often wonder when or if regular not-as-musically-trained folk can tell when somebody is a wanker (another musical term), or the real deal?

I'd love to come up with a list of iTunes tracks for you guys to check out so you can tell me what you think... I'd love to figure this out

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
Fine, yes smooth jazz is music, but i wouldn't classify it as jazz.

Here we go again with the classifications... I guess what I was saying didn't connect with you.

What is jazz?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 01:54 PM

One of the most impressive and musical Smooth Jazz artists in my opnion is Chris Botti... I went and heard him not too long ago, he's very cool - quite an intimacy in his performances. He's also a grad at the University I went to.

He's Sting's trumpet player, and credits his major influences to Sting, Sinatra, and Miles.
I have Chris Botti's last two albums. Between the two you have what one might call "smooth jazz" along with his modern version of many "jazz standards". Regardless of the classification, they were some of the best jazz albums I've picked up in quite some time. Kinda made me want to dust off my old trumpet and play a few notes again.

OAW

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 02:36 PM

Here we go again with the classifications... I guess what I was saying didn't connect with you.

What is jazz?
Apparently not.

Jazz isn't overproduced fluff you hear late at night on easy listening stations.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 03:00 PM

Apparently not.

Jazz isn't overproduced fluff you hear late at night on easy listening stations.

Okay, well then what *is* jazz?

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 03:28 PM

Apparently not.

Bump.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 03:30 PM

Bump.

Okay, it seems like you aren't interested in pursuing this conversation, fair enough. You can live by your definitions and categories, but I do hope that you understand that they are artificial constructs.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 03:56 PM

Okay, it seems like you aren't interested in pursuing this conversation, fair enough. You can live by your definitions and categories, but I do hope that you understand that they are artificial constructs.
Clearly, in my view they are not. And I am more than fine with that.

Enjoy what you listen too, and I will do the same. We'll call the music whatever we want.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 04:02 PM

Clearly, in my view they are not. And I am more than fine with that.

Genres are not artifical constructs? You do realize that that can't 'be defended, don't you? Language itself is a man-made construct, and a genre is simply a word assigned to describe a category of music.

Forum Links
Forum Rules