Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is this and why is it using all my powerrrrr

What is this and why is it using all my powerrrrr
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2010, 10:04 PM

I got QuickTime open, just sitting there with a 720p video open off of my Time Capsule and I see this in Activity Monitor. I assume it's got something to do with QuickTime right?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 12:29 AM

Just a guess, but try disabling Perian and see what happens?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 20, 2010, 12:44 AM

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Notes from the Lab

If your Mac had QuickTime Pro previously installed, the Snow Leopard installer adds a special "QuickTime Player 7" application to your Utilities folder and replaces your old player with a sleek new QuickTime X variant in the Applications folder. The Version 7 player is nearly unchanged, except that it no longer allows multiple simultaneous exports. The new X player does, but only with a few preset options. Still, QuickTime X does a better job of fully utilizing the CPU while exporting than QuickTime 7 ever did, especially on multi-core Macs. (A bit of trivia: we noticed that the QTHelper app that handled encoding duties for QuickTime 7 has been replaced with CoreMediaAuthoringSessionHelper. Quite a mouthful.)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 06:26 AM

it should not be running when playing a video, just when encoding a video.
If the video was in a native format it would not be using so much cpu, so I figured (maybe wrongly) quicktime may be using Perian to play it.

Are you sure you are not exporting it from Quicktime?

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks guys. I realized that it was an episode of Top Gear that I haven't saved as MP4 yet... It was .mkv, which I have a special plugin for QuickTime X to play .mkv through Perian, so I guess that did it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 02:33 PM

That would be it. QuickTime has to parse through the entire mkv file. So, you would see that process when you open the file even if you weren't playing it yet.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules