Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting Pissed, .mac down again!

Getting Pissed, .mac down again!
chadseld
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 12:25 AM

What's up with these .mac admins? Why does my email go down every other week. This is getting in the way of my work.

... ok well I made that last part up.. but it is annoying.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

suhail
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 12:35 AM

I do agree�
My last problem with .mac email was: I was receiving email while my email client in OSX (Mail.app) was telling me I had no email (it wasn't giving me errors or anything)!!

Apparently that went on for a whole month. Then when I checked my .mac webmail, I found that I had like 60 unread emails!!!

After I checked my webmail, it started working again� Gee!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 12:39 AM

i just checked mail, both with mail.app and via webmail and had no problem at all....in fact, it has been quite a while since i've noticed any .mac downtime....it's been working quite well for me.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 01:10 AM

I think it's one of two things:

* Bad DNS server

* It's been rigged by PC zealot IT technicians lol

Funny none of these problems existed when .mac was free
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2003, 01:16 AM

I'm not showing any trouble this time. But I do agree that .Mac's current quality of service is unacceptable. It is improving, but it has a very long way to go if they want $100 from me next October. Even if their quality of service were perfect .Mac wouldn't be worth what they're asking, and if its stability continues to be this dismal then that only makes it worse.

And I echo the comments others have made, about how odd it is that iTools never had these issues back when it was free. You'd think that now that they have an actual revenue stream, they could put it toward improving the service. They don't seem to have been doing that;
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
I think it's one of two things:

* Bad DNS server

* It's been rigged by PC zealot IT technicians lol

Funny none of these problems existed when .mac was free
yeah. lol.... really weird, especially since they have like 20X the number of ppl who used the service back then. (or some obscene number like that)

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 01:28 AM

It was down for a while early yesterday evening. Must've been getting the noisemakers and party hats ready.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 03:33 AM

mine has been down all day. this is seriously annoying...... i need to send emails...... oh now i remember why i have a hotmail account as a backup...CAUSE IT WORKS. 1 hour downtime is moderately acceptable...but this is rediculious.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 04:25 AM

I'm betting that the accounts are split on different servers
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
I'm betting that the accounts are split on different servers
No they're all stored on an LC630 under the stairs.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 2, 2003, 04:46 AM

It's down now.. I can't send.. grrrrrrr After we paid millions upon millions of dollars. Oh the irony!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
And I echo the comments others have made, about how odd it is that iTools never had these issues back when it was free. You'd think that now that they have an actual revenue stream, they could put it toward improving the service. They don't seem to have been doing that;
no ****. youd figure since they have all this infrastructure in place to handle the however many million iTools users they had that when they reduced the load down to less than half a million everything would work BETTER. they had nothing to prove when it was free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules