Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [Pages Template] MLA

[Pages Template] MLA
phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 12:27 AM

Dunno where to put this, but I created a relatively extensive MLA compliant template for Pages that includes the first/second page of a Research Paper, an MLA Outline, and an MLA Works Cited list. Hope to see more similarly useful releases from you guys.

MLA Template 1.01

Edit: Updated. Fixed a few mistakes, everyone should redownload this. (Page numbering most importantly.)

Features:
Tempalates for MLA compatible outlines, research paper, and works cited list
Correct and automatic page numbering (starting after page 1)
Automatic and correct indenting for citations, using citation style

Preview:

Large Preview 1

Large Preview 2
( Last edited by phillryu; Jan 24, 2005 at 10:46 AM. )

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Dunno where to put this, but I created a relatively extensive MLA compliant template
You are a man of the people, sir. A man of the people.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 10:00 AM

Excellent!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 10:12 AM

Sweeeeet.

How do you make templates? Does it have an option like Keynote, or do you have to do some fancy pants work opening up bundles?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:

Sweeeeet.

How do you make templates? Does it have an option like Keynote, or do you have to do some fancy pants work opening up bundles?
I'm guessing it's VERY similar to Keynote.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these people offer in terms of templates.
http://keynotepro.com/keynoteproweb/home.html

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 12:37 PM

Totally agree about KeynotePro. Actually sent them an email asking if they were planning Pages templates a few days ago, but no response yet.

Anyway, about building templates, it doesn't require any messing around with bundles or XML files or anything. Everything is done from within Pages, and though it's a bit complicated to get everything just right, I was able to figure it out pretty easily after going through the manual.
( Last edited by phillryu; Jan 23, 2005 at 07:58 PM. )

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 02:14 PM

This is a Pages Template. Creating Templates in Pages really is a pice of piss. Create document (use the Format/Advanced/Define as Placeholder text option on any text block if you want), File Save as template, Save the template anywhere convenient, if you want to sent it to others, if not use the default "~/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates" location. The Template file is saves is a nice Package file containing all the required parts for the template to work (images etc.) excluding fonts.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 03:01 PM

There are other things though, for those interested in creating templates. Extra pages can be captured, and must be separated with style breaks. Really, the only thing that was very annoying was the page numbers. I had to fiddle around a lot with that.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 05:43 PM

How nice! Thanks very much --

I write all my papers in MLA format.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 08:10 PM

Now if we can just find an APA template, I will be an even happier camper.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
Now if we can just find an APA template, I will be an even happier camper.
I second that.

-- Jason

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 09:51 PM

Jason, if you know APA (I don't), it should be pretty easy to modify my template. Just change the parameters, and post it here!

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 11:34 PM

Yes Jason, please do!!! The MLA one looks awesome. Thanks!!!
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 03:11 AM

This morning, I have been to the Apple Store in Fashion Valley in San Diego and I wanted to check whether iWork would have a template for APA and MLA format... Unfortunately, they do not and that is the reason why I did not buy the software.

Now, if you guys have made some convenient and efficient templates, I may reconsider that.

Please post some pics and more feedbacks about the two templates. It would probably convince me to buy it.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 08:45 AM

I'll try making APA when I get hold of Pages... I doubt I'll switch from LaTeX (BibDesk is too useful) but it'd be interesting to try...

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 10:11 AM

Jason, if you know APA (I don't), it should be pretty easy to modify my template. Just change the parameters, and post it here!
I think it is going to be difficult for me to do that, seeing as I don't have pages yet and all (I'm worried about paying the mortgage next month, software is on the back burner for a while). But if no one has done it by the time I get Pages (July maybe) I promise I will do it then.

Jeez, being a poor student sucks!

-- Jason

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 10:42 AM

Dopik, previews are posted.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 12:15 PM

wow thanks a lot for the MLA template.. will make things a little easier when writing the damn papers.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
I second that.

-- Jason
And I "third" that

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:23 PM

I couldn't find a folder to put this template in so that it shows up in the "Select a template" dialog. Is there one? /Library/Application Support/Pages/Templates didn't work.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 02:24 PM

Username/Library?Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2005, 02:32 PM

[B]Preview:

Does pages automatically generate the page thumbnails, or does the template developer do it? Cuz if it's the latter, you should darken the text, because it's almost entirely invisible.

Great work on the templates, though!

tooki

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 02:39 PM

i don't have Pages yet, but when you save out a template, does the program automagically insert the filler text for you? I would imagine it does, right?

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 11:18 AM

Tooki, Pages automatically creates the thumbnail images. There's no way I can easily up the contrast.

About the filler text, you have to put it in yourself. The default template had a "blank page" option with a bunch of it, so I just copied/pasted from there.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
Username/Library?Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates
That doesn't work, and for the stupidest reason: The custom templates folder is localized! My system's default language is set to Japanese, and when Pages is run in Japanese it only recognizes ~/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/テンプレート/マイテンプレート. And when run in English, Pages only sees the directory you specified. This seems extremely poorly thought-out on Apple's part.

I also just noticed that the available templates are completely different for different locales as well! There are some nifty 履歴書 (resum�) templates in the Japanese one, but not in English. And almost none of the envelopes in the English one are available in Japanese. I can see why they did this, but it's still annoying since I will probably have occasion to use both sets. I don't want to have to mess with language settings just to use a different set of templates!

Also irritating: Pages doesn't recognize any custom templates put in /Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/blah/blah, no matter which language the directories are in. In other words, you can't easily make custom templates available to all users on the machine.

By the way, Keynote always did, and still does, recognize themes in /Library/Application Support/Keynote (also now iWork/Keynote) regardless of language settings.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 11:43 AM

Wondered how you added the text.

I went to the Ipso Lorem (?) web site and cut and pasted some stuff from there. However, my automatic spell checker had a hay day with it. Red underlines everywhere. Not bad, just distracting.

I need to learn how you add more template master selections inside of the main template. Haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for sharing your template.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 02:15 PM

Could you add a Sources Cited along with the Works Cited page? (Sources can include materials other than publications, such as Websites and other electronic media). If needed, I can provide the formatting you'd need for it (This template would've been a godsend a week ago)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
i don't have Pages yet, but when you save out a template, does the program automagically insert the filler text for you? I would imagine it does, right?
When you save a document as a template, whatever text you have in the document is the "filler text".

You can make a template directly from that document or go one extra step and make the text placeholder text, graphics placeholder images, etc before saving as a template.

The placeholder image is the really neat one. It makes the graphic area a set size. When you add a new graphic to that area it will place that new graphic to fit into that size without you having to resize and scale the graphic!
( Last edited by kcmac; Jan 30, 2005 at 02:37 PM. )

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:10 PM

If you set the Latin text as placeholder text (it's in the menu somewhere) then the spellchecker won't go crazy.

About the additional formatting stuff, King Bob, if you send me a page with what you want, I can add it to this template.

drosboro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 03:04 AM

I've put together a couple of education-related templates that might prove useful to any teachers out there.

http://www.rosboroughtech.com/pagestemplates.html

There's a Lesson Planning template and a Group Evaluation template. They are based on the "Quiz" and "Evaluation" templates in terms of style. I'll be posting more on that page as I create them for my classes - but if you have any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules