Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > my MP3s are slowly corrupting....

my MP3s are slowly corrupting....
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 12:40 PM

If a 'corrupt' song comes up in my iTunes list...it will play the song for about 1-3 seconds and then stop, wait 1 second, and then go on to the next song. If I play the corrupt song in the Finder (or quicktime) the song will still cut out, but it will eventually come back on. When I ripped the music it didn't sound like this, and it is slowly happening to more of my songs!

I don't have any way to tell which songs are corrupt either! It just happens out of the blue.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
If a 'corrupt' song comes up in my iTunes list...it will play the song for about 1-3 seconds and then stop, wait 1 second, and then go on to the next song. If I play the corrupt song in the Finder (or quicktime) the song will still cut out, but it will eventually come back on. When I ripped the music it didn't sound like this, and it is slowly happening to more of my songs!

I don't have any way to tell which songs are corrupt either! It just happens out of the blue.
This has been happening to me as well now - does anyone have any ideas how to help?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 10:57 AM

How very bizarre. I noticed this last night while I was listening to my iPod. Two different songs (about half an hour apart) randomly jumped in the middle and skip right to the next track. Another one jumped in the middle and went back to the start of that track, and a fourth one actually forced my iPod to reboot!

Each time, on playing the respective tracks again, they played through to the end without a hitch.

This is a 5 month old 4th generation iPod with click-wheel, 20GB.

Don't know if the problem lies with the pod or the music
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
How very bizarre. I noticed this last night while I was listening to my iPod. Two different songs (about half an hour apart) randomly jumped in the middle and skip right to the next track. Another one jumped in the middle and went back to the start of that track, and a fourth one actually forced my iPod to reboot!

Each time, on playing the respective tracks again, they played through to the end without a hitch.

This is a 5 month old 4th generation iPod with click-wheel, 20GB.

Don't know if the problem lies with the pod or the music
I had the same problem with my 4G iPod 20GB. I actually determined that it was the iPod because I re-ripped my music on the computer, sent it to the iPod, and never updated the iPod with the computer after that. Slowly it seemed that the iPod would cut out but the music on the computer (the same songs of course) did not skip at all. And of course, calling Apple did nothing since they had no other record of this issue.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 03:12 PM

I have posted a thread like this in a few different places and I have learned nothing about this weird problem.

If you play the song in iTunes and scrub past the place where the song 'skips' it will continue to play.

I have around 9000 songs in my library and there is no way to tell which files are corrupted without listening to them. And worse: there is no way to fix them!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 03:35 PM

I seem to have the exact same problem. My iTunes Library is quite large as well, in between 9 - 10 thousand songs. I graphed my external hard drive in Disk Warrior to see what that looked like, and the bars seemed disjointed in a way that perhaps a portion of my files are fully corrupt by overlapping issues. It is awfully strange though, that as you mention, one can just scrub past the skipped part and the track can then continue to play without a hitch.

I've also had this problem to a much lesser degree with iPod playback, but what I am concerned about it that all files on my external drive will slowly corrupt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules