Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5 on a 1GHz PB G4: Would You Do It?

10.5 on a 1GHz PB G4: Would You Do It?
Dark Sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

It's got 1.5 GB of RAM. 10.5 has been sitting on my desk for about three weeks. I'm worried about it causing major issues or just making my computer unreasonably slow. If it were you, would you install it?

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2008, 03:54 PM

Yes. IMHO... do a "clean" install:
backup, erase, install, & migrate.
[i.e., don't upgrade over old OS.]
-HI-

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 04:26 PM

If you already have it, I would install it. Time Machine is sweet and Stacks is pretty nifty as well.

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 04:28 PM

I had an iBook G4 1.0GHz with 512MB RAM that I did a clean install of Leopard and it ran at least as well as Tiger if not faster although that may have had more to do with a fresh install. No major issues. If I had a computer with your specs I wouldn't hesitate to install Leopard on it.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 06:05 PM

Do it. I'm running it on a lesser G4 15" (1GHz, 512 RAM) and the features make it a significant upgrade over Tiger. Performance is a little slower for things like Coverflow, but that's about the worst of it. I did an upgrade too, and didn't have any problems.

SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 07:59 PM

I did it on a G4 that has only a dual 867 mhz processor with 1.25 gb..
It runs a bit slow, but runs it.
I don't think I will be getting 10.6 on this machine though, its just getting to old now (its about 7+ years)

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 02:30 AM

Just follow Gruber's instructions and you will be fine. I just put 10.5 on a G4 Mac Mini, runs just fine.

Daring Fireball: I Believe in Murphy's Law

Arguments that there is something mysteriously dangerous or deficient about the default upgrade procedure — and that you should do a clean install instead, followed by tedious hours manually migrating software and data and preferences from your old installation — are voodoo. Apple’s installer engineers spend a ton of time making the default upgrade procedure as convenient as possible.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2008, 07:25 PM

Voodoo happens every single day in the world of software (hardware too).

There are known things which the "upgrade" goofs up on. (man pages not deleted and/or updated, certain config files in /etc not set..., sorry I'm not a secretary, so I don't keep a full list). Just because wizards like Gruber and Deatherage don't know about them, doesn't mean it isn't true. Will an upgrade work? Sure, most of the time. When someone does complain how bad their machine is running with Leopard, did they do an upgrade? Sure, most of the time. Also, the upgrade "instructions" you linked to neglected to advise upgraders to disable any haxies (SIMBL, ApE, etc.). So... it's not quite the shizzle it should be.

Doesn't matter.
I don't *really* care.
Say and do and think whatever is clever.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Feb 16, 2008 at 07:55 PM. )
-HI-

Tom C
Feb 16, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Sailor View Post
It's got 1.5 GB of RAM. 10.5 has been sitting on my desk for about three weeks. I'm worried about it causing major issues or just making my computer unreasonably slow. If it were you, would you install it?
Yes, especially with that much memory. I have a 1GHz PB G4 also, but with only 768M of RAM. Leopard does use more memory; I usually end up with 6-7 swapfiles now instead of 4-5 under 10.4. I run a little slower than 10.4 because of the extra swapping; it's rarely a big deal. With twice the memory that I have, I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

The one thing where processor speed is an issue compared to 10.4 is live-as-you-type searches, e.g. Spotlight or within iTunes. Unlike 10.4, they start immediately after the very first keystroke. It always takes the computer a while to catch up with my typing.

Dark Sailor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2008, 08:48 PM

I posted the original question above. I just want to say thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I'll be upgrading soon : )

Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 11:29 PM

I run Leopard on an aging Titanium PBG4, 1GB RAM.
It's runs acceptably well for Office+Internet use, it runs of an external 7200RPM FW drive though.
It even handles some older games (CnC: Generals, RTCW, etc)
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 10:11 PM

I have it installed on a base model 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook G4 with 1.25GB of RAM (max the machine will take) and the stock 4200 RPM 60GB HD. Leopard runs quite well. So those the original poster's machine has a 33% slower processor, it has more RAM and likely a faster HD, so I'd say its a wash.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 01:47 PM

Sarc: the Ti HD is exceptionally easy to replace. Any particular reason you're running off an external HD?

Anyway: if you do tech support for friends or family etc, that's a good reason to upgrade--Leopard does things differently enough that being familiar with the new interface is essential. Also, if you need Time Machine, there's another good reason.

If none of that applies, or if some of your apps won't run under Leopard, don't upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules