Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or New MacBook 2.4GHz

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or New MacBook 2.4GHz
JoLOveS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2008, 01:29 PM

Today I was browsing the online Apple Store and I saw that a Refurb MBP 2.4GHz is only $1,349 and the New MB 2.4GHz is $1,599. The new MB is only 13.3" and the Old MBP is 15". My question is do the new improvements to the trackpad and the new unibody design and glossy screen make such of a difference that I should spend the extra $250 for a notebook that is just as fast maybe even slower lacking the firewire port.

The reason I ask is because originally I wanted the 2.0GHz MacBook but I feel that the lack of backlit keyboard is a bummer and a deal breaker. I can afford either but I love the fact that I can type in the dark and faster CPU just about makes up for the price.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2008, 01:59 PM

I think the improvements in the MB outweigh some of the advantages of the prior generation MBP. A couple of points to consider, do you need a discreet GPU, or integrated? While superior to its older generation the MB's GPU is still slower then a discreet GPU.
Loss of FW - do you need firewire
matte vs. glossy (totally a subjective decision)

Personally I'd go for the MB if the GPU and FW is not an issue.

Just my $.02
~Mike

JoLOveS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2008, 02:55 PM

I already have a Quad core 2.66GHz Mac Pro that has FireWire and I will use primarily while at home the thing I need most is mobility, and the MacBook is something I have been wanting for a while. The problem for me the biggest deal breaker is the lack of backlit keyboard, it may be stupid but for me is a deal breaker. I was going to get a MB base model yesterday until I saw it didnt have the keyboard function and it turned me off slightly. I may still buy it but is 2.4GHz that much faster than 2.0GHz and would you even care about the backlit keyboard if you were me?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2008, 03:37 PM

I barely use the backlit keyboard, unless I am using my MBP in bed, and it's dark enough.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

JoLOveS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2008, 04:22 PM

That should not be a deal breaker IYHO? Are the keys clear in the 1299 version clear so that it may be turned on in the future of modded to do so?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 04:38 PM

DDR3, new trackpad, great design ... worth the extra imo

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2008, 05:52 PM

i too was in the boat for the new mb, but the lack of fw and lousy screen killed it for me. i went for the $1349 mbp you mention from the refurb store and couldn't be happier. i figure i still retain all but two gestures with the mbp (i don't see why they cant update the software in the mbp to allow for all the gestures yet), a larger and much nicer screen, choice of matte or glossy, bigger hard drive, more vram (i use dual display 80% of the time), fw, etc....

i have to admit though, the new machines are solid... but not being a fan of glossy screens and the lack of fw along with the poor screen angles in the mb and the priciness of the mbp pushed me to the refurb store.

i don't think you'll regret either decision, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoLOveS View Post
I already have a Quad core 2.66GHz Mac Pro that has FireWire and I will use primarily while at home the thing I need most is mobility, and the MacBook is something I have been wanting for a while. The problem for me the biggest deal breaker is the lack of backlit keyboard, it may be stupid but for me is a deal breaker. I was going to get a MB base model yesterday until I saw it didnt have the keyboard function and it turned me off slightly. I may still buy it but is 2.4GHz that much faster than 2.0GHz and would you even care about the backlit keyboard if you were me?
Just FYI--

The new 2.4 GHz Macbook DOES have the backlit keyboard, but the lesser model (2.0 Ghz) does NOT.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 03:17 AM

The main differences IMHO are

• the new MB is significantly lighter than the old MBP
• the MB is more compact
• the new MB offers the great new unibody enclosure
• the old MBP has both FW400 and FW800; the new MB only has USB2
• the old MBP offers much better graphics performance (3D games, Aperture, Motion, ...)
• the old MBP comes with a larger resolution and the screen quality (brightness, angle) is clearly superior (regardless of matte/glossy)

Bottom line is it's size vs. screen/graphics. You decide what's more important to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules