Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 74)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 03:11 PM

Speaking of Game Developers, Gabe Newel had this to say about the PS3 in Game Informer (which is why I don't have a link to the full interview):

"“The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a “do over”. Just say, “This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it”. The happy story is the Wii. I’m betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I’m crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. “"

Wasn't HL2:E2 coming to PS3?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 04:31 AM

i think the ps3 has the best of both worlds and will eventually win out

the power of the 360 ( even more ? ) and almost as quiet as the wii

the 360 is so noisy as to be quite literally a pain in the *** to use

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:31 AM

define "win".

IF you mean hardware sales:
according to PJ McNealy, 54% of stores they surveyed (52 stores surveyed in total) had PS3s sitting on their shelves, the Wii was sold out everywhere. Seeing as how we're too close to the start of this generation, it's impossible to predict whats going to be the result 5 years down he track. Personally, i dont expect a company that couldnt make enough consoles when demand was there, and couldnt sell consoles when supply is there, to win.

If anything XB360 and Wii are going for gold (market share) here.... Microsoft has already crossed the 10 million mark after 12 months on the market....and the Wii....approximately 4 million in roughly 2 months.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 17, 2007 at 07:09 AM. )

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap View Post
i think the ps3 has the best of both worlds and will eventually win out

the power of the 360 ( even more ? ) and almost as quiet as the wii

the 360 is so noisy as to be quite literally a pain in the *** to use
Turns out the 360 is overall the quitest of the 3 consoles this round

Wii noisier than Xbox 360 and PS3, says sound meter test - Joystiq

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 12:53 PM

Are they factoring in the sound of wiimotes hitting walls?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Turns out the 360 is overall the quitest of the 3 consoles this round
Ok, there is NO ****ING WAY. Yes when it isn't spinning a disk it isn't that loud but it is still much louder than the PS3 or Wii no matter what it is doing.

So far I am finding the PS3 the quietest as the drive even when spinning is dead quiet. The Wii is pretty quiet but the disk access sounds a bit clicky and odd sometimes.

The 360 is horribly loud when spinning a game disk.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:01 PM

quiet

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN

quiet

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
quiet
hehehe

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
quiet
no you

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Ok, there is NO ****ING WAY. Yes when it isn't spinning a disk it isn't that loud but it is still much louder than the PS3 or Wii no matter what it is doing.

So far I am finding the PS3 the quietest as the drive even when spinning is dead quiet. The Wii is pretty quiet but the disk access sounds a bit clicky and odd sometimes.

Exaclty my experience as well. My PS3 is whisper quiet, whether it's running a game or Blu-Ray movie. My 360, on the other hand, is LOUD no matter what it is doing (at least when it worked). Maybe they tested a bricked 360? I'd imagine those a relatively quiet.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
quiet
By "quitest", of course I meant that it quits the most. It is a Microsoft product after all.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 01:34 PM

The 360 is loud.

But for anyone who has their own place a little adjustment on the volume is all you need. I can play with both roommates sleeping and the volume on 9.

It's loud enough to completely drown out the 360, and soft enough so that noone wakes up.

I'd say it's on par with how loud the Dreamcast was.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:37 PM

The Xbox 360 is a good game system but the actual hardware engineering is horrible.

I mean it has been a year and reports of dying 360's hasn't decreased much if at all.

It has the loudest drive on the planet, the power adapter is almost incomprehensibly big (and the biggest I have ever seen for any electronic device) and none of the hardware in it is cutting edge or top of the line.

The original warranty was 90 days. The support line staff all sound like dumb 19 year old males in some southern state. If you 360 needs repair they give you a refurb with 90 days warranty.

To top it off the 360 only has a standard tray loading DVD drive in it.

In the same regard the Wii has a slot loading drive and is much much more quiet.

The PS3 has more CPU, internal power supply, doesn't get as hot, no real reported hardware problems yet, has a slick Blu-ray slot loading drive that is whisper quite and even throws things in like HDMI and internal Wifi.

Microsoft is doing a lot of good things with the 360 but hardware engineering is not their strong point at all.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 01:58 PM

Apparently using 3rd party component cables on your PS3 will void the warranty:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789061
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apparently using 3rd party component cables on your PS3 will void the warranty:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789061
Oh oh, do they come to your house and check also or do they only want to screw over honest Christians?

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 02:24 PM

The PS3 has more CPU, internal power supply, doesn't get as hot, no real reported hardware problems yet,
That's because there aren't any good games for it yet. People don't play Riiiiiidge Racerrrrr for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
That's because there aren't any good games for it yet. People don't play Riiiiiidge Racerrrrr for more than 15 minutes at a time.
True enough but I have had it play a couple blu-rays in a row, and resistance for 4 hours which should heat it up nicely. No problems at all.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 05:13 PM

Maybe Sony's finally figured it out; I went through 3 PSX's and 2 PS2's.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 05:16 PM

I have never had a lockup of my Xbox 360.

I've run maybe a dozen HD DVDs through it, and played lots of games. I got it in April, and the HD DVD in November.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Honestly like I mentioned you are the only person didn't have a ring of death or DOA out of the 6 or so people I know that have a 360.

I'm glad your's is working but the odds don't seem to be good considering my own personal experiences and everything you read in the media.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 05:28 PM

Honestly like I mentioned you are the only person didn't have a ring of death or DOA out of the 6 or so people I know that have a 360.

I'm glad your's is working but the odds don't seem to be good considering my own personal experiences and everything you read in the media.
What I've read in the media is that it's "possible" there might be more than a few percent of the units dying, but it's still a small minority of the units.

It's certainly not like the iBook video problem or anything like that.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:29 PM

What I've read in the media is that it's "possible" there might be more than a few percent of the units dying, but it's still a small minority of the units.
Ya but I think it is way higher than normal. How many locking up PS3's or Wii's have you read about? Pretty much zero.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:30 PM

I've had my 360 since launch and it has also never locked up or had a single problem.

It is loud as hell though.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 05:35 PM

Ya but I think it is way higher than normal. How many locking up PS3's or Wii's have you read about? Pretty much zero.
I haven't had my 360 lock up on me. I have heard of a few Wii and PS3 lockups, though not to the extent of the 360.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I haven't had my 360 lock up on me. I have heard of a few Wii and PS3 lockups, though not to the extent of the 360.
My Wii has locked up just once. I think in Raving Rabbids.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 07:16 PM

IGN put up it's top 10 most significant gaming news for 2006. XBox360 crashes came in at #4. . staying true to the M$ experience . My Wii locked up on me nce when loading CoD3. (a reset fixed it).

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 08:21 PM

Ditto. My first 360 was DOA. Good console though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 08:26 PM

My friend has had 2 broken 360s so far. I've had a few other friends' die out on them as well.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 08:31 PM

I am more surpised than anyone that my PS3 hasn't had a single hickup, it even smells good.

If 2 years ago you would have told me that I would use the PS3 through HDMI as my main DVD/Blu-ray player I would have laughed at you based on the PS2's capabilities and noise.

The PS3 is the sexiest and most exceptional quality consumer electronic audio/video device I have ever owned (Apple stuff aside). It does a better job that stand alone devices and at half the price with more sexiness.

On the other hand the 360 is visually nice but it has no sex appeal or really make any strong statement. The guts in it are pretty bad though. Oh, and it is one **** DVD player. Really pathetic.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 09:19 PM

I've run maybe a dozen HD DVDs through it, and played lots of games. I got it in April, and the HD DVD in November.
Give it time. I had mine a year and it crapped out - and I don't even play for extended periods of time. My refurbished should be here tomorrow from MS. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm guessing less than a month.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 07:55 PM

Got my replacement 360 from MS today. Looks brand new and has a manufacture date of 6/11/2006. My old one was 11/22/2005 so at least I got a newer console. I've heard of people sending in a late '06 360 and getting back a late '05 as a replacement.

So far, so good. Seems a little quiter than my old one. All in all, it took over 2.5 weeks from the time I called about the problem to the time I got the replacement.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 03:18 PM

After my PS2 crapped out on me (and my CD Walkman, and a nice pair of Sony headphones, and my second PS2 controller...), I decided that Sony had enough of my money. I don't own any of the above, but I'd me more likely to buy a Wii than a 360, mostly because my roommate already has a 360.

Not like I have time to play video games anymore...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 01:32 PM

I went to Gamestop the other day and looked at the Ps3 setup they had, with the tv and everything, so I look around the side where all the cables should be, there are none, It is usually obvious to me that they have a supermachine hidden down below, and I saw some object inside the hot casing of the stand that looked like the ps3 through the cooling holes. Why would you do this to a 600 Dollar console? I mean I can see them doing it with the wii, but not the ps3, for 600 bucks, are you not getting the most powerful asnd oversized thing in the video game competition?

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:20 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2007, 04:15 PM

I imagine it has something to do with theft prevention.

I mean I can see them doing it with the wii, but not the ps3, for 600 bucks, are you not getting the most powerful asnd oversized thing in the video game competition?
I don't understand what you mean.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 12:43 AM

Anyone get chosen for the Halo 3 Beta yet?

I just got my confirmation email. Hooray for me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 12:49 AM

Indeed. *Stab*

Hopefully I'll get one, too.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 11:13 AM

You are probably right, but what I thought it that they have a powerful computer or something down there instead of a Ps3, like to make you think that it has really good graphics, when it really didn't, I'm not saying the ps3 doesn't have powerful graphics, what I meant is that if your paying 600 bucks, are you not buying something that is powerful enough to not need to have a computer hidden to make it seem good.

Yeah, I know, my thoughts are confusing.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 11:15 AM

You get back to us when you can play Halo. Because I would so much rather use the wiimote's powerful technology to play a game where you can balance a ****ING BROOM! Yes, there is a game: Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Oh and I would love to use a DS to play a game where you can pick up after a dog! Or, why not, play the same Mario Game from 1986, but with better grapics, for the 4th TIME, but slightley better graphics!

And as for the Ps3, don't get me started. I see better graphics in GOW than on that peice of oversized crap. Who wants a system with the catchphraise: Its already devising ways to kill you., ok, some people do, but I will take a noisey 400 Dollar console than a quiet 600 Dollar Console with the same controller since 2001.

Don't attack me, it's just my opinion.

My 600 Dollars. (and two cents).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
I will take a noisey 400 Dollar console than a quiet 600 Dollar Console with the same controller since 2001
Yes, how dare Sony come up with a good controller from the get-go? It would have been decent of them to initially design a monstrosity like the original Xbox controller.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 01:43 PM

You get back to us when you can play Halo. Because I would so much rather use the wiimote's powerful technology to play a game where you can balance a ****ING BROOM! Yes, there is a game: Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Oh and I would love to use a DS to play a game where you can pick up after a dog! Or, why not, play the same Mario Game from 1986, but with better grapics, for the 4th TIME, but slightley better graphics!

And as for the Ps3, don't get me started. I see better graphics in GOW than on that peice of oversized crap. Who wants a system with the catchphraise: Its already devising ways to kill you., ok, some people do, but I will take a noisey 400 Dollar console than a quiet 600 Dollar Console with the same controller since 2001.

Don't attack me, it's just my opinion.

My 600 Dollars. (and two cents).
Spoken like a true fanboy.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I know, my thoughts are confusing.
That's puberty for ya.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2007, 01:50 PM

Spoken like a true fanboy.
I generally hate it when people call each other fanboys, but... I think the true definition of "fanboy" is someone who can (apparently) think that SWG is being too easy on Nintendo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 01:57 PM

Rainbow Six: Vegas has some pretty amazing visuals.

I dunno how they stack up against Resistance: Fall of Man, anyone played both?

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yes, how dare Sony come up with a good controller from the get-go? It would have been decent of them to initially design a monstrosity like the original Xbox controller.
They did a good job, I love the Ps1 controller, I just thought all the time they spend shitting on their fans they could be spending developing a better contoller, like Microsoft did, I find absolutley no imperfections with the 360 Controller. Even Nintendo has the originality to create a new controller per system, I wish that some of it would rub off on their games, but give it up, the Ps3 really doesn't have much more than a cheap Blu-Ray player to offer.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 03:06 PM

This guy's gonna fit right in.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 03:07 PM

That's puberty for ya.
Yeah, I remember loving spaceballs as I went through it.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:21 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Rainbow Six: Vegas has some pretty amazing visuals.

I dunno how they stack up against Resistance: Fall of Man, anyone played both?
They are totally different styles of games actually. RS is more strategy, but you can get into some killer firefights. Co-op mode is fun as hell. My cousin got it for his 360, we tried out a level and it was a lot of fun. I might pick it up when it ships for the PS3, though Ghost Recon AW2 is what I'm REALLY looking forward too from the Clancy gaming.

Resistance game play and style is a bit faster than that but fun as well. Online is pretty sweet on a 40 player match. Pretty crazy on a 20 vs 20. No lag, which is amazing in itself. But the single player is more or less like Call of Duty and Half Life 2. The weapons are very good, but it does feel like it has its own identity. I'd recommend it no hesitation, if you like shooters.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2007, 03:36 PM

I find absolutley no imperfections with the 360 Controller.
You love that D-pad?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
You love that D-pad?
You use the D-Pad?

Forum Links
Forum Rules