Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > A question about Climateprediction

A question about Climateprediction
Nacente
Aug 31, 2004, 06:04 AM

I have a important question about ClimatePrediction:
I signed up and downloaded a unit. But the estimated time is 869 hours!!!! And the expiration date is 13th August 2005!!!!
So, I will 800+ hours doing only Climate?
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Nacente  (op)
Aug 31, 2004, 07:20 AM

Impossible! I quit. I says now, 2000+ hours!!! My P3 667 is too slow
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

reader50
Administrator
Aug 31, 2004, 12:06 PM

ClimatePrediction models can run for several months.

Nacente  (op)
Aug 31, 2004, 12:11 PM

A yes, it was wrong
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Thyme Lawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 01:29 PM

Something around 2000 hours of processing time sounds about right for a 667MHz P3 to me when I match it up against my hyper-threaded P4 2.6GHz system. Each of its models will take around 750 hours to complete.

Team Picard Away Team

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 03:43 PM

Even on a very fast machine (3000+) it can take 3 or more weeks for a complete climate work unit. However climate prediction "trickles" credit. That means that every little bit, it will grant credit for the portion of the work unit completed.

Also, with BOINC 4.x, resource sharing is greatly improved. For instance, if you set Climate prediction and SETI (or eventually predictor) to 50% each, then BOINC will alternate between projects periodically, so that neither project is ignored. That means it will partially crunch a climate work unit. Stop after a point, crunch some SETI, and then switch back to climate. The system is not perfect, and it cannot compensate for "human extremes". For instance if you set Climate to 95% and SETI to only 5%, you might find a few SETI units that could expire before they get returned.

An important thing to keep in mind is that Resource sharing is based upon averages. It can take a few days before BOINC has enough data to know what to expect from each project. If you decide to resource share between projects allow a few days for the percentages to settle down. It will get there.

UPDATE: I have climate and SETI both running on a couple of machines, and got to watch the new time-slice resource share in action. SETI was crunching on a work unit, and BOINC decided that it was time for Climate Prediction's turn. SETI was suspended and Climate started up. All automatically. This is a huge improvement over the previous resource sharing. Earlier in the day, Climate had yielded to SETI. This way you don't have to crunch an entire work unit for a project like climate prediction, all at once.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Aug 31, 2004 at 11:00 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules