Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > trackpad issue

trackpad issue
leperkuhn
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 12:28 PM

So the other day I opened up my trusty iBook and starting using it. However, it would have intermittent pauses where it would stop recognizing the trackpad. I thought this was pretty weird, so I rebooted the machine.
reboot -> starup noise -> kernal panic

hmm.. haven't seen that in a long time...

reboot -> starup noise -> kernal panic

so now i'm somewhat irritated. boot off os x cd, repair hd. no problems found. reinstall os x, archive and preserve accounts. trackpad kinda funky even with CD boot.

back up and running. trackpad sometimes non-responsive still.

so i'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue. i bought my iBook in february of this year. I guess my question is:

Can i bring it to an apple store and have them take care of it, or do i have to call apple directly? I've owned 4 macs and never had a problem like this requiring service.

Anyone have this happen to them before?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2004, 01:41 PM

Was SideTrack installed? Maybe the settings were changed/corrupted.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 01:54 PM

take it in to the store. i had to send my ibook in twice, and both times i took it to campus stores and had no problems.

if you want to take it to an apple store, be prepared for a pretty long wait.

Nacente
Sep 2, 2004, 02:23 PM

It happened to me also (i don't know now what happened)!!!! I bought it on January.
Well, it kernel panicked only when I reboot. I reinstalled the X, the problem when the same. Then passed the hardware test and solved xD. Really strange but now it's OK.
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

leperkuhn  (op)
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Nacente:
It happened to me also (i don't know now what happened)!!!! I bought it on January.
Well, it kernel panicked only when I reboot. I reinstalled the X, the problem when the same. Then passed the hardware test and solved xD. Really strange but now it's OK.
nothing weird installed, (quicksilver?). I just opened it up to see if i could reproduce the problem (nothing worse than looking like a total jackass) and the trackpad seems to be working fine..

then safari wouldn't open new windows.. so i quit and re-opened. still no new windows. new tab - and there it is. but it wouldn't accept my keystrokes into the location bar. apple-q to quit worked though.

very strange. I'm updating the os and componants right now, then i'm gonna run the hardware test.

Forum Links
Forum Rules