Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 1.0 soon

Firefox 1.0 soon
ambush
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 08:00 PM

From MozillaZine.org
Firefox Pre-Preview Release Available for Testing

Asa Dotzler writes "We took one more important change into the builds last night, moving from a blacklist to a whitelist for external protocol handlers, so today's builds are the new candidate 1.0PR builds. If all goes well with these builds, they'll become the official Firefox 1.0 Preview Release builds on Tuesday morning. Please help us test these bits and if you find any major regressions, please file bugs and nominate those as PR blockers with the bug flag "blocking-aviary1.0PR?" so that the Aviary team will see.

Download the 0.10 (1.0PR) candidate builds now: Windows installer Linux installer Mac disk image (Other formats can be found here.)

Note that this is not the final 1.0 Preview Release. That will happen on Tuesday if all goes well with the testing of these candidate builds. We appreciate any and all help testing the candidates and strongly encourage you to report any problems. Only you can prevent buggy releases ;-)"
dl here http://207.200.85.49/pub/mozilla.org...1.0PRrc.dmg.gz

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 08:08 PM

New Hotness!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 08:55 PM

You know, I never thought I would like the 'Find' toolbar at the bottom of the screen, but so far it just seems to blend in!
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 09:03 PM

The final will be delayed for Mac because they will be putting extra effort into Aqua-fying it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 10:01 PM

take a look at this in firefox
go to my website " http://mike.cosentino.com " and in the bottom right hand corner where the rss icon is, there is another icon. if you click it it changes the color scheme on my website.

the schemes are different .css files that are switched with javacript.

i just thought that was interesting that there would be an icon that appears to interact with a javascript on a page.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 10:39 PM

It doesn't interact with Javascript. As long as you have the css files linked to as alternate stylesheets in the header, they'll show up there.

My website doesn't use Javascript to make the sheets sticky, but the stylesheet switcher shows up anyway.

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 11:18 PM

The roadmap always seems wrong with that project, last I checkekd it was September and they said RC1 would be out some time in August. I have a nighly from a few days ago on my dock, didn't see any visable changes (other than all my extensions and the theme died, again). Can't wait for the aquification release, things like setting proxies in the system AND in firefox seperatly....might make it as my main browser, unless iCab ever updates.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 08:41 AM

Well the version 1.0pr preview is out and about for everyone to see, with RC1 out very soon.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 12:39 PM

Looks promising.
To bad the fix for bug #223545 "hidden window when using Expose" did not make it beyond the 20040902 nightly build!
Its one of the most annoying Firefox bugs.

Cant wait to see how Firefox 1.0 turns out.

Aranamac
Sep 14, 2004, 12:45 PM

Help... I can't seem to find a way to import my bookmarks from Safari. How can I do this? and if it isn't available, will it be a feature in the final release?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 12:50 PM

Firefox 1.0 PR looks pretty good. The new Find feature is awesome. Of course, the standard complaints about no spell checking and non-native widgets still remain. One strange thing I've noticed is that the browser no longer seems to auto-complete partially entered URLs. For instance, if I type in "macnn" it used to automatically change that to "http://www.macnn.com" for me and then load the page. Now it loads the page just fine, but it leaves the URL as "macnn". A minor annoyance to an otherwise excellent browser.

OAW

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by albook:
Looks promising.
To bad the fix for bug #223545 "hidden window when using Expose" did not make it beyond the 20040902 nightly build!
Its one of the most annoying Firefox bugs.

Cant wait to see how Firefox 1.0 turns out.
It caused a problem in Jaguar, so it was backed out.

And "one of the most annoying bugs?" You have got to be kidding! It doesn't affect usability in any way!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:20 PM

I can't wait to see camino after firebird 1.0. the camino .8 nightly are great.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
It caused a problem in Jaguar, so it was backed out.
I know, but until they fix it completely why not make the fix run on 10.3 only?!
And "one of the most annoying bugs?" You have got to be kidding! It doesn't affect usability in any way!
No kidding. Its very annoying when it ***** up the screen layout when I use Expos�!
By the way; I said "one of the most annoying bugs", as in maybe not #1 but on the top 10 list...

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 08:06 AM

I can't use the scroller button in my mouse to open new tabs from links...

I downloaded two extensions: image zoom (COOL) and Download Status Bar (COOL)!!!!
( Last edited by xmacintosh; Sep 15, 2004 at 09:05 AM. )

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
I can't wait to see camino after firebird 1.0. the camino .8 nightly are great.
I don't see how the release of Firefox 1.0 will affect Camino in any way..

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by albook:
I know, but until they fix it completely why not make the fix run on 10.3 only?!
No kidding. Its very annoying when it ***** up the screen layout when I use Expos�!
By the way; I said "one of the most annoying bugs", as in maybe not #1 but on the top 10 list...
Rather than go to the trouble of adding more code to fix a bugfix, why don't they just wait and do it right? I think this is one of the stupidest things to complain about. The existence of that little window does not hinder your use of either Firefox or Expos� in any way.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:08 AM

The existence of that little window does not hinder your use of either Firefox or Expos� in any way.
It's not just the existence of that little window in Expos�. The underlying assumption that the application and menubar is tied to a window causes a lot of problems:

� dummy window visible in Expos�
� dummy window minimizable with option-click in minimize button
� dummy window activatable when ⌘-`through windows
� menu bar non-functional when dialog box is frontmost
and probably more problems I not come up with right now.

That's enough to make it a major point of annoyance for the Mozillas. They have to give up that assumption and design their applications properly eventually. Unfortunately it would be a major redesign, so it won't ever happen.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
It's not just the existence of that little window in Expos�. The underlying assumption that the application and menubar is tied to a window causes a lot of problems:

� dummy window visible in Expos�
� dummy window minimizable with option-click in minimize button
� dummy window activatable when ⌘-`through windows
� menu bar non-functional when dialog box is frontmost
and probably more problems I not come up with right now.

That's enough to make it a major point of annoyance for the Mozillas. They have to give up that assumption and design their applications properly eventually. Unfortunately it would be a major redesign, so it won't ever happen.
yeah yeah, they WILL remove it. 'tis just a preview release, so calm down.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
Your magic 8-ball tells you this?

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Your magic 8-ball tells you this?
Of course!

Well, that and the fact that the hidden window already was fixed in a build 2 weeks ago, but apparently broke something on Jaguar and was brought back again a couple of days later.

They are working on it as we speak.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 08:46 AM

I was not talking about "removing the window". I was talking about properly fixing the underlying issue by not tying the menubar to a window.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:58 AM

doh. my mistake. everyone sharing the same rendering engine I thought there would be some corrections that would get sent over to mozilla and then camino. I am not too familiar with how all those projects work with one another. I just use camino because oh that java fix that you can install.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 11:06 AM

the new Find feature is totally awesome. Love it.

I did notice my CPU usage is really high though. Looking at MacNN forum pages jump between 15-80% all the time. Older versions didn't do that to my knowledge.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
..... One strange thing I've noticed is that the browser no longer seems to auto-complete partially entered URLs. For instance, if I type in "macnn" it used to automatically change that to "http://www.macnn.com" for me and then load the page. Now it loads the page just fine, but it leaves the URL as "macnn". A minor annoyance to an otherwise excellent browser.

OAW
Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

OAW

Nacente
Sep 16, 2004, 05:12 PM

Go Firefox Go!
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Sep 16, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

OAW
it works for me. typing macnn gives www.macnn.com in the drop-down addresses.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 06:37 AM

for those who don't know - HERE is how to make the HTML-widgets look pretty in the OS X version.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 07:57 AM

for those who don't know - HERE is how to make the HTML-widgets look pretty in the OS X version.
This is the compromise I'd like to see, but sadly I don't think people will be satisfied with it. Most people seem to want the pill-shaped buttons.

Frankly, though, this is the best solution I've seen yet. With a little tweaking (perhaps make the background image a transparent PNG so that it can respond to background-color) it could be even better. But it's a great intermediate step.

This said, I strongly urge anyone who wants to see native controls in Firefox to try this. I've just started using it, and I must say, it looks great. The non-styleability is a problem, but once again, with proper application of transparency in the PNG graphics that might be changeable.
( Last edited by Millennium; Sep 17, 2004 at 08:17 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 08:17 AM

Jon Hicks has tried doing the same with aqua widgets, and the result wasn't bad. Still needs some work, though.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 09:10 PM

Jon Hicks has tried doing the same with aqua widgets, and the result wasn't bad. Still needs some work, though.
I dunno; I like the other one better. Not that it doesn't need work too, but it's further along, and the end result should respond to CSS better.

osxisfun
Sep 17, 2004, 10:08 PM

and what about the people that use my site with firefox and have not downloaded these widget replacements?

they will see craptacular widgets on my site.

Scallywag
Sep 17, 2004, 11:11 PM

http://www.charlesarthur.com/blog/index.php?p=120

This guy is bitching about Firefox, and check out all the complaints in the comments section. Yeesh.

� processor hog. Took up about 15% of processor when it had about four pages open.

� memory hog. Took an amazing amount of RAM for something with only four pages open.

� slow, perhaps because it was shuffling everything about in memory.

� cache hog. taking far too much of my rather precious disk space

� not a very good Applescript dictionary (though it�s nice they tried). Only gives the ability basically to open a new window with a named URL. Basic, but not what you�d get from a browser designed for OSX.

� couldn�t get the much-vaunted RSS searching/feeds to work.
The RSS feeds work for me and I don't find it more of a processor hog than Omniweb or Safari (which is really bad with some pages).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
and what about the people that use my site with firefox and have not downloaded these widget replacements?

they will see craptacular widgets on my site.
Actually, this package shouldn't be too difficult to modify so that it could be deplayed "live" on a Website. If you did this, then some (though not all) of the controls would also appear in other browsers as well. Of course, it would only affect your own site, but that may be for the better anyway.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Scallywag:
http://www.charlesarthur.com/blog/index.php?p=120

This guy is bitching about Firefox, and check out all the complaints in the comments section. Yeesh.

The RSS feeds work for me and I don't find it more of a processor hog than Omniweb or Safari (which is really bad with some pages).
I've got to admit, I wonder what version this guy was really running. I've had many of the problems he describes with much older versions, but this latest version has none of those (except for the lack of AppleScriptability, I guess).

As for the RSS feeds, I'll admit, Firefox's implementation of the concept is pretty awful. What were they thinking, making each feed a fake folder in the Bookmarks section? The excellent Sage extension does RSS much better. If only they could get it to integrate with the RSS button Firefox provides; maybe they'll have that in time for 1.0?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 10:06 AM

Is there any relationship between these two projects? What is it that Camino has that Firefox doesn't, or vice versa?

osxisfun
Sep 18, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Actually, this package shouldn't be too difficult to modify so that it could be deplayed "live" on a Website. If you did this, then some (though not all) of the controls would also appear in other browsers as well. Of course, it would only affect your own site, but that may be for the better anyway.
thanks for the info.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Boochie:
Is there any relationship between these two projects? What is it that Camino has that Firefox doesn't, or vice versa?
Mozilla, Firefox, and Camino do have the Gecko rendering engine in common. Mozilla and Firefox also have the application framework in common. Camino uses Cocoa for that.

osxisfun
Sep 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

and Mozzilla Firebird is the old name of firefox?

i'm currently using Firebird for testing and its fine.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 04:48 PM

i'm currently using Firebird for testing and its fine.
yes, a very old version. I think they changed names around six months ago.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 05:09 PM

And before that, it was Phoenix. How fun!

osxisfun
Sep 18, 2004, 06:35 PM

man. talking about messing up your brand. i know they had to change it for legal reasons but oye v�.

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:50 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree with Firefox either being a memory hog, or at least very memory intensive. Running it with one page open managed to take down a stable linux machine, took memtest86 (that's an extremely stringent RAM test on x86) about 30 passes (that's overdoing it) to detect two less-consequential errors. New RAM, works fine, >100 passes no errors.

I also found it to take a LOT of RAM on OS X, some regard that as a memory leak, others say it's simply extensive caching.

speedraycer
Sep 25, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Firefox either being a memory hog, or at least very memory intensive. Running it with one page open managed to take down a stable linux machine, took memtest86 (that's an extremely stringent RAM test on x86) about 30 passes (that's overdoing it) to detect two less-consequential errors. New RAM, works fine, >100 passes no errors.

I also found it to take a LOT of RAM on OS X, some regard that as a memory leak, others say it's simply extensive caching.

I agree that Firefox PR uses about 5-6% more processor time than Camino. I will likely replace Camino with Firefox once that issue and memory gets resolved.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
yes, a very old version. I think they changed names around six months ago.
Yep. The change came about because a database by the same name decided that a browser was somehow "confusingly similar" to a database, and insisted on a name change under trademark law. The concept would have been laughed out of any courtroom, but it never went to court.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 12:19 PM

The hidden window is now gone, with the latest nightly

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Yeah, the "hidden window" fix was checked in AGAIN yesterday.
But beware, it has a bad crashing habit: Bug #258943 - Firefox crashes on Javascript popup [Mac].

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 03:34 PM

I'm hoping once 1.0 goes final for Windows, the Mac version will actually get the attention that's been planned for some time.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 08:17 PM

The final will be delayed for Mac because they will be putting extra effort into Aqua-fying it.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
so my magic 8-ball was correct after all..

Forum Links
Forum Rules