Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > E3 countdown ! What re you looking forward to ?

E3 countdown ! What re you looking forward to ? (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 08:46 AM

Do I hear RIPOFF?

Yes, everyone's giving Sony sh*t for ripping off Nintendo.

Well, sports fans, EAT THIS:

A Dreamcast controller that wasn't released. It was supposed to be a controller for Super Monky Ball for the DC and get this....gyroscopic sensors!

GEE WHIZ!

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ink
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 10:24 AM

Also remember that the PSX pre-sold for $299, but on the release day they lowered the price to $249.

9/9/95 urne

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Do I hear RIPOFF?

Yeah, yeah. And my mom came up with the idea for rollerblades back in the early '60s. You can't rip off stuff that never actually existed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 10:48 AM

Wii games
Wii pricing
Xbox 360 games (hopefully something about Halo 3...???)
Playable PS3 games, even though I have no plans in buying one (I'd like to see the technology)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Well, that pretty much sealed it—I ain't getting a PS3 anytime in the next year or more. I'll get Wii launch day. I'm gonna hold off on a sequel to a console that appears to be prepping the same games from last generation, but with prettier faces, that didn't interest me then. Only Sony wants me to pay $500 to play them? Nah, I'll wait a few years. My friend has a 360, and that's enough for me, as I'm equally unimpressed thus far.

Is it really crazy for people to believe that one is completely unimpressed with these next-gen games without screaming "fanboy," or that one is announcing this opinion for the sake of disagreeing? And CoD 3 already? How many WWII games are needed? Maybe a new epic every few years, sure. How much can you refine gameplay mechanics in something like CoD? It seems like the only things that can really change are story and graphics when it comes to this genre of game (not counting online play). And that doesn't do it for me enough. Of course, this explanation could be applied to any game, but I'm talking about myself personally, and CoD-type games specifically. I can't believe they announced CoD 3 already, seriously.

This far into the "next generation" of console gaming and I'm bored already.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are both probably going to turn a lot of people away from the typical "better graphics, higher price tag, but not much else" approach that they've both taken.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Yeah, yeah. And my mom came up with the idea for rollerblades back in the early '60s. You can't rip off stuff that never actually existed.
Well, it obviously EXISTED. Do you mean SOLD? That's a whole different thing. How can you claim, by that logic, that Sony ripped off Nintendo if NEITHER of the controllers "exist"?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 11:07 AM

Do I hear RIPOFF?

A Dreamcast controller that wasn't released. It was supposed to be a controller for Super Monky Ball for the DC and get this....gyroscopic sensors!

GEE WHIZ!

Damn, it almost looks the same too! I thought Nintendo just ripped off Apple all the time!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

meelk
Baninated
May 9, 2006, 11:55 AM

I'd like to see the information regarding gyroscopic in that controller. To me it just looks like one out of a bunch of prototype dc controllers.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 12:27 PM

Well, it obviously EXISTED. Do you mean SOLD? That's a whole different thing. How can you claim, by that logic, that Sony ripped off Nintendo if NEITHER of the controllers "exist"?
Show of hands: Who here knew about this hypothetical Dreamcast controller that was never released? Now, who knew the Revolution controller was going to have motion sensors?

One of these things is not like the other. One of them may not even actually have been intended for release (or even true prototyping — does the model shown actually do anything?), and certainly wasn't advertised, while the other was actually a real product that was pushed.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 12:33 PM

Show of hands: Who here knew about this hypothetical Dreamcast controller that was never released?
By the looks of it Nintendo.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 12:39 PM

So, what, we're supposed to sit here for a few pages and bicker on how Nintendo stole the wand-like controller idea from SEGA? This is seriously like being in elementary school again. You know, the kids who sat around picking sides over Game Gear and Game Boy, or NES and Genesis. Like they're friggin' sports teams or something. What is this thread accomplishing in terms of discussing the software developers are putting out for us to play at this goddamn expo?

Right then, off to WoW until the conference is over.

Edit: ****in' Tuesday. I hate Tuesday. I hate it so much. Server maintenance on Tuesdays. Why? Why Tuesdays? Why do you hate me, Blizzard? Why?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 12:41 PM

Whether or not Nintendo took the idea from Sega, the final Wii controller design has a lot more in common with the NES controller than that thing Starman posted. The only thing they have in common is that they both used the general shape of a remote control.

Incidentally, I never picked sides in the Nintendo vs. Sega thing. I had and used both.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 03:00 PM

"By next month, we will have sold over 5 million Xbox 360 consoles. More than the original Xbox, the PS1, the PS2, or any other console at that stage in the lifecycle." The sales slide ain't half bad -- Tufte would be proud. The Xbox 360's sales curve is steeper than the competition and steeper than the iPod, a device many consider to be the gold standard of consumer electronics devices.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 03:31 PM

So does that mean there are actually any games worth giving a crap about on the 360 yet?
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 03:35 PM

So does that mean there are actually any games worth giving a crap about on the 360 yet?
Ya there were quite a few on launch day. If they aren't for you you might want to ask the 5 million Xbox 360 owners why they got it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 03:38 PM

I've actually been wanting to, but I've never met any of them. They all seem to have holed up in some den somewhere far away from here.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 03:40 PM

here is the HD-DVD player that ships when the PS3 does:

No price yet.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 9, 2006, 04:52 PM

Oh great, why don't they show it side by side with the xbox360?, to keep people from realizing that the xbox360 hd dvd capable is even bigger than the former xbox?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 9, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Inside Man
Oh great, why don't they show it side by side with the xbox360?, to keep people from realizing that the xbox360 hd dvd capable is even bigger than the former xbox?
Judging by the size of the tray, it's no bigger than a standard external desktop optical drive.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Judging by the size of the tray, it's no bigger than a standard external desktop optical drive.
I was going to say the same thing but don't bother he is just grasping for straws.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 9, 2006, 05:31 PM

Everything seems to be external… how does that a smaller system really?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 05:40 PM

Everything seems to be external… how does that a smaller system really?
Huh?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I thought Nintendo just ripped off Apple all the time!
I think you mean Microsoft there. I guess i should remind you that Apple and Nintendo are in completely different industries in case u didnt already know.

Asthetically, Nintendo does imitate Apple. They acknoledge their admiration of Apple in the process as well. Technologically there are are no similarities, Which cant be said of Microsoft ripping off Apple, and Microsoft and Sony ripping off Nintendo.

Woah...a few more things in common for Apple and Nintendo now as well. similar design (which we all love) and constantly being ripped off by competitors. that definately earns them (Apple & Nintendo) "Innovator" status.

Someone's gotta teach Harrison of Sony how to spell....i think he intended to say *immitators* instead he misspelled it as *innovation*. lol....u'd think a person in his position would know how to spell. someone aught to throw a book at the bastard. lol

Cheers

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 08:56 PM

Halo 3 trailer was awesome.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 09:16 PM

Huh?
He means all the parts on the 360 are external, HDDVD, Power, HDD. And if you add all that up, its about the same size or bigger than the Original.

I think thats what he means

-Owl

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I think you mean Microsoft there. I guess i should remind you that Apple and Nintendo are in completely different industries in case u didnt already know.

Asthetically, Nintendo does imitate Apple.

No I meant Apple. Nintendo rips off Apples designs all the time.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 10:42 PM

Note its size compared to the Toshiba HD DVD player:

EDIT... Here ya go:

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 9, 2006 at 11:28 PM. )

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
He means all the parts on the 360 are external, HDDVD, Power, HDD. And if you add all that up, its about the same size or bigger than the Original.

I think thats what he means

-Owl
Exactly. Thanks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 03:08 AM

I'm sure Apple really minds Nintendo making things in white plastic.

At least Nintendo doesn't rip off Apple's control schemes.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

turbopants
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 03:33 AM

I'm looking forward to the Wii (hate that name still) for the first party games, the emulation, and of course, the controller. I do want to try it out for a bit before picking up one for myself. I'm in no hurry to get any of these new consoles yet. I still play my Dreamcast a lot!

meelk
Baninated
May 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

hahaahaha. why, because they had one system that was basically cubed shaped and Apple had a cube in its past? Sorry to break this to you, but a cube is a pretty basic shape.

Forum Links
Forum Rules