Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Good Mac Newsgroup Reader

Good Mac Newsgroup Reader
mikeylee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 04:10 PM

Any recommendations for a good newsgroup reader? I have tried hogwash and find it cumbersome to use and not worth the asking price of $50.00. I have also tried MT-Watcher, which I find impossible to get to work decently. In my PC world, I used Xnews and loved it. I use it on my notebook but want to get away from using the PC.

Thanks for your help,
mikeylee

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2007, 04:28 PM

Unison is nice.

ooninay
Mar 18, 2007, 06:12 PM

I second that. Unison is by far my favorite newsreader in Mac or Windows.

mikeylee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys (or gals?)!

I used to frequent another forum and was not told about this reader. Web page looks good and I am downloading it now. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
mikeylee

mikeylee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 02:40 PM

Hi again,

I have used Unison and it appears to be working great. If I do not post to this thread again, it is a winner.

Thanks again,
Mikeylee

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 08:25 PM

Another vote for Unison!
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

FurryOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 10:58 AM

While I'd have to say that Unison is the best newreader I've tried in many years, on many systems, I'd now have to qualify that. I just got through removing the 1.7.9 version from my Dual 1GHz Quicksilver, and replacing it with the older 1.7.7 version. Why? Because I got tired of spinning beach balls every time I opened a window or told it to mark all read, or even scrolled a large newsgroup. Somewhere between 1.7.7 and 1.7.9, Unison got bloated or got slow. Maybe it was recoded for Intel uPs or stopped using the features in the PPC uPs - I don't know. Whatever the problem, reloading 1.7.9 didn't help. Trashing 1.7.9 and reinstalling 1.7.7 made my Quicksilver fly again.

So... if you're on a G4 or G5, and Unison seems slower after the last few upgrades - go back to the 1.7.7 version and compare it!

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2007, 09:19 AM

Have you reported what you saw to the friendly folks at Panic? I'm sure they would look into it if you give them a decent bug report.

Forum Links
Forum Rules