Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The 10.5 Wishlist

The 10.5 Wishlist (Page 9)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
How about:

1) A filesystem with decent performance, case-sensitivity and so forth.
WTF? Case INsensitivity is the ****ing best thing about HFS+
Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
3) Tabbed terminal
Wish granted:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
What do you like about the case preserving mode of HFS+? I've only seen drawbacks. Eg. I once tried backing up some data from my Linux server, rsync would sync one version of a file then overwrite it with another version whose name only differed by case. Another common one is when you download code written for other OSs. They will sometimes have files differing only by case, which becomes a problem when you extract the archive.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2007, 10:04 AM

The fact that we are human. ThisFile is exactly the same as thisfile. Jesus. Common sense and geeks don't mix.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by WJMoore View Post
What do you like about the case preserving mode of HFS+?
I like it because it's consistent with how people normally use language. In the sentences "Cats are my favorite animal" and "I love cats," the same thing is being referred to in both — capitalization does not usually change the meaning of the word. Having to specify, "Open table-dot-doc, but the table-dot-doc with only a capital T, not the one with a lowercase T, the one with a capital DOC or the one where 'table' is in caps" — that's freakin' brain damage.

I've only seen drawbacks. Eg. I once tried backing up some data from my Linux server, rsync would sync one version of a file then overwrite it with another version whose name only differed by case. Another common one is when you download code written for other OSs. They will sometimes have files differing only by case, which becomes a problem when you extract the archive.
That could just as easily be called a drawback of Linux's naive case-sensitivity. (And yes, case-sensitivity is easier to implement than HFS's case-preservation, which is the only reason it was ever done that way at all.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 08:05 AM

What I really would like to see is Spotlight support for Aperture. Either Leopard needs to make this happen or Aperture 2.0
I want to be able to find pics through Spotlight.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

lazza72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 05:03 AM

I know the WWDC keynote has already been and this is impossible but...
FOR IT TO NOT LOOK LIKE VISTA!

and it does, doesnt it?
i was happy with the blue background

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lazza72 View Post
I know the WWDC keynote has already been and this is impossible but...
FOR IT TO NOT LOOK LIKE VISTA!

and it does, doesnt it?
i was happy with the blue background
Oh, how I wish that 10.5 will finally give me the ability to change backgrounds the way Safari 3.0 finally gave us the ability to spellcheck.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2007, 10:44 AM

Safari has had spellcheck for ages...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 11:17 AM

Safari has had spellcheck for ages...
OK, you have 2. Now add 2 and see what you get.
Chuck
___

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

Oh, how I wish that 10.5 will finally give me the ability to change backgrounds the way Safari 3.0 finally gave us the ability to spellcheck.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 01:04 PM

What are you talking about? Safari had spellcheck since the very first pre-1.0 public beta.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 12:03 AM

Brilliant! Wake up people.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What are you talking about? Safari had spellcheck since the very first pre-1.0 public beta.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
OK, you have 2. Now add 2 and see what you get.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 03:22 PM

Yeah, Human beans can't really tell Jack Youknowwhat from JACK youknowwhat. Case sensitivity in the HFS+ file system was added simply because a lot of *nix systems assume they are on a UFS volume where Hello.doc and hello.Doc and hello.doc are all different.

Ideally, case should be preserved for display, but otherwise it's just confusing.

raduga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 08:22 PM

How about a Finder with a "novice" mode and an "expert" mode. I truly loathe using the Finder; I almost always find the command line to be a better file manager. Or the Windoze Explorer. Or just about anything. Apple could make it a lot better, and the only reason I can think of that they don't is because of their obsession with quasi-user-friendliness. Let's have a Finder for our parents and one for ourselves.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 1, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by raduga View Post
How about a Finder with a "novice" mode and an "expert" mode. I truly loathe using the Finder; I almost always find the command line to be a better file manager. Or the Windoze Explorer. Or just about anything. Apple could make it a lot better, and the only reason I can think of that they don't is because of their obsession with quasi-user-friendliness. Let's have a Finder for our parents and one for ourselves.
Not to get all Raymond Chen on you, but what differentiates a "novice" Finder user from an "expert" Finder user? What would be in the "Expert Mode" that isn't in the "Novice Mode?"

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by raduga View Post
Actually that idea is not out in left field. In the days before OS X Apple always has a dual mode Finder, one simple with basic menu commands for the noobies and the advanced mode for everyone else.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Not to get all Raymond Chen on you, but what differentiates a "novice" Finder user from an "expert" Finder user? What would be in the "Expert Mode" that isn't in the "Novice Mode?"
Folder actions
Smart Folders
Burn Folders
connect to server
special characters
secure empty trash
Services
hide finder
hide others
show all
compress
Make Alias

etc. (my mum never uses these).

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 01:44 AM

I've been hoping for iPod access in Front Row for a while now ...

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 11:02 PM

I think there should be some way to make something all caps. Say you've typed a title to something, and decided it would look better in all caps. From what I know, the only way to do this is to retype it all. You should be able to select it all and then hit caps lock or something to do this.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Folder actions
Smart Folders
Burn Folders
connect to server
special characters
secure empty trash
Services
hide finder
hide others
show all
compress
Make Alias

etc. (my mum never uses these).
Simplified Finder is in Leopard, but somehow I doubt that's what the poster meant.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 01:24 AM

Simplified Finder is in Leopard, but somehow I doubt that's what the poster meant.
Its in Tiger too, in a way. When creating an account, you can have the option to restrict Finder. Its almost annoyingly simple then. But yea, I'd have to agree with you there, I doubt thats what he means.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
I think there should be some way to make something all caps. Say you've typed a title to something, and decided it would look better in all caps. From what I know, the only way to do this is to retype it all. You should be able to select it all and then hit caps lock or something to do this.
Check out WordService. It's a great tool that does this and more.
Chuck
___

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 03:02 AM

I'd like to see a preference in 10.5 that allows me turn off the caps lock button or at least ignore its setting. On MBP keyboards (especially those with European layouts) I hit the caps lock button accidently a lot. By the time I notice it I've typed two lines in all caps.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 03:57 AM

I must have had this installed so long I thought it was part of the OS.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'd like to see a preference in 10.5 that allows me turn off the caps lock button or at least ignore its setting. On MBP keyboards (especially those with European layouts) I hit the caps lock button accidently a lot. By the time I notice it I've typed two lines in all caps.
Uh, this feature is already in Tiger. Look at the Keyboard system preferences and click the button called "Modifiers."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Uh, this feature is already in Tiger. Look at the Keyboard system preferences and click the button called "Modifiers."
Thank you very much!

Never noticed that. Never hear of it before. You just made my day.

And BTW, I noticed if you deactivate the caps lock button in that panel, the LED on the caps lock button stays off on the internal KB as well as on external USB KBs. Slick and very Apple-like.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 02:41 AM

sorry, double-post

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 09:37 AM

Very cool trick. I will have to try that with my Mac at home.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 12:11 PM

A little late at getting this, but nice; thanks!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 05:34 PM

There's one feature I really miss from Mac OS 9: The option to set a chime (a system sound, not those horrible spoken words) every hour. I actually found a widget that does the job, but sometimes I forget to activate Dashboard so the chime won't ring. I wish they would bring this back in Mac OS Leopard.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 3, 2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
There's one feature I really miss from Mac OS 9: The option to set a chime (a system sound, not those horrible spoken words) every hour. I actually found a widget that does the job, but sometimes I forget to activate Dashboard so the chime won't ring. I wish they would bring this back in Mac OS Leopard.
That isn't in there? Wow. I forgot all about that. Yeah bring that back.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 3, 2007, 10:56 AM

Posting this here so no one responds to it in Besson's thread

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Now all that's left are the darn Aqua buttons. It's not so much they look bad, but their 3D doesn't jive with the rest of the GUI. The Aqua buttons pop out more than the newer interface elements and have more bright lights on them.
Agreed. They need to change them, or just go ahead and add lens flair.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 10:42 AM

I would have loved OS X to have had a clipboard history.

Take the application PTHpasteboard (Wonderful, and priced nicely!)

I couldn't live without this application a day after using it. It has replace text clips that scattered my desktop, and the stickies application all in one app. And it's free if you use the most basic features. Which is all I do. But I have been getting into it a bit deeper at work for pasting lots of things I do often, So I will probably end up buying it. The author is a really nice guy to boot.

I first starting using that app long ago.Then he sold it off to another company as a bundleware for a bunch of apps. And it stopped working right. So I bought Shadowclipboard to replace it (Biggest mistake ever)

After the author of Shadowclipboard pulled a bait and switch on me He got me to buy it on features he was claiming that was COMING to the application but weren't there yet. So after a year of waiting this new version came out, and he wanted even more money for it. I told him had I known he was going to pull that stunt I wouldn't have bought the version I did.

That isn't the real bad part though. After making said complaint in MacUpdate, he registers a second non-author account the same day to blast and bad mouth me in a reply. How do I know it was him? When I looked in his info, he was using another stupidfish.com email address. So when I confronted him with it he denied it, and then went and hid his info so no one could see the addy. After emailing MacUpdate about it, they confirmed that indeed it was him that made said comment, an deleted it. But to this day he denies it.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, Yeah, a clipboard history would be a good thing.

The clipboard has held ONLY the last item clipped for how long now?

What type of clip boarding does Vista do? I heard it was supposed to do the multiple thing.

no shoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 06:26 AM

I've not read through the whole thread so hope I'm not repeating my wish for 10.5. I just hope they fix the FUS colorsync bug. This is where another account has a different colorsync profile and you log into it then back into another account, the profile changes to the generic RGB one and you can't change it unless running DMProxy.

Real PITA.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 8, 2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by no shoes View Post
I've not read through the whole thread so hope I'm not repeating my wish for 10.5. I just hope they fix the FUS colorsync bug. This is where another account has a different colorsync profile and you log into it then back into another account, the profile changes to the generic RGB one and you can't change it unless running DMProxy.

Real PITA.
You have to set that profile so it can be used by anyone. It lets you check that when you create or modify it. If this is what you are talking about anyhow.

no shoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You have to set that profile so it can be used by anyone. It lets you check that when you create or modify it. If this is what you are talking about anyhow.
Thanks. I was wondering if it could be that but it didn't solve the problem and had a look around the net and saw that it's been a bug for a while. There's some people who don't experience the issue but I use FUS quite a lot (my g/f and I) and I have a cusotm colorsync profile and her's is too.

It's basically when I log into my account then FUS into hers and then back to mine, it switches to a generic RBG one and trying to change it via Sys. Prefs brings no joy.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 8, 2007, 07:32 AM

Ah.. never had that happen. Then again I don't work in a multi-user environment. I am the only one that uses my Macs.

I thought maybe that would help. Sorry it did not.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 03:52 AM

I wished OS X had automatic BPM detection in iTunes.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2007, 04:09 AM

BPM detection is pretty hard anyway. But there's always Tangerine.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 07:31 AM

BPM detection is pretty hard anyway. But there's always Tangerine.
I tested Tangerine in its first iterations and found results to be pretty spotty, with BPM varying wildly (and not just by clean multiples) for identical versions of the same songs (as on a Greatest Hits compilation or such). Unreliable enough to be pretty useless.

I don't know if the BPM counters built into DJ equipment are any better; OTOH, if you're supplying to a techno DJ, it's really not all that hard to get decent beat counting going on.

Rhythmically complex material, though...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2007, 07:54 AM

I tried the Tangerine demo and it has some obviously wrong results going on. I also once tried that tapping widget and I can't get that to work at all. And I'm not in the mood to tap hundreds of songs anyway. It would be a nice feature to have if implemented properly.

Begs the question why this isn't in Gracenote. Surely it's not too much to ask for that the record companies provide this information properly when they release a record.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 12, 2007, 08:23 AM

I just attempt to make my own lists by mood. Usually BPM is involved I am sure.

I have some for when I am feeling bad, and most music would make me feel worse (Like if Halla back girl came on, I might murder a fresh walnut)

I have music when I just want to relax, music when I am working and want inspired.. .then there is your typical background music..

I either have music playing, or a good movie going on during the day. Sleeping or not. (I love timers on TVs)

The sound of it raining is also soothing. I am not into that tree hugging hippy granola crap either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules