Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Virtual Private Network

Virtual Private Network
MacGirl80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2013, 11:44 AM

Morning,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) ? I was wondering if there are any special considerations needed. Like can you network Apples to PC’s and where does Linux fit into the picture? Any help would be appreciated as I love my Mac and don’t want to have to switch back to allow a VPN to function.
Thanks again.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2013, 12:49 PM

When you say 'set up a VPN', do you want the VPN server at your home so you can connect securely from other places or are you trying to connect your Mac at home into your existing office VPN?

Mac OS X comes with a VPN client built-in and has done for years. To configure it to connect to your office, you'd just need the settings.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacGirl80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2013, 05:15 AM

Thank you, Both at home and working remotely, I was wondering if there are any compatibility issues networking between Macs and other operating systems.
thanks for your assistance

MacGirl80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2013, 06:43 AM

I was interested in having a more secure network and home and looking into working from home to avoid the commute, save time, and be greener. Is a VPN something physical to set up or is it some type of software to install? Someone I know used this kind of thing https://www.vpnlux.com/, but I was wondering if it is something that could be achieved manually.
Thanks again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MacGirl80 View Post
I was interested in having a more secure network and home and looking into working from home to avoid the commute, save time, and be greener. Is a VPN something physical to set up or is it some type of software to install?.
It is Software that is already installed.

P
Mar 13, 2013, 08:10 AM

A VPN consists of two parts: A client program on your machine, and a server program on a server somewhere. When the connection is open, anything that connects on the client goes through a network tunnel to the server. To anyone looking, it looks like the connections the client makes come out from the server. This is useful for various reasons - mainly it is used to connect to services on a private network by a user outside that network.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2013, 09:46 AM

If you want to work from home, your office IT dept will recommend the client they want you to use, that works with their network. We use Cisco and they have a little app to install that connects, your IT gives you the settings to use, takes no time or effort.

If you want to surf on foreign websites that don't allow US visitors, or otherwise hide your ip, that's another thing.

MacGirl80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much!

Forum Links
Forum Rules