Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Disgusting: Katrina Abortions

Disgusting: Katrina Abortions
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 08:36 AM

Doctor giving away free abortions to Katrina victims.

Apparently the theme is: "Let's save all the pets and animals and kill the human babies instead."

I have no doubt that he is out for the publicity.

What a sick bastard.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 08:48 AM

"...pets and animals..."

Where did you get this from? This is not in your link.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 09:00 AM

No. But it's COMMON KNOWLEDGE that there are thousands of pleas out there to save the Katrina victims - including threads about what is going on with the animal victims. Mojo2 started one, for instance.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 09:01 AM

With the instances of raping, this isn't a wholly bad idea.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 09:02 AM

Coming from a country where abortion is free anyway I fail to feel shocked. If you're against abortions that is fine, but whether they're free or not doesn't really enter into it does it?

Would you actually feel any different about this doctor (assuming you're against abortions) if he wasn't doing this for free?

From his POV abortions are ok, and that seems to be his privilege. So to prevent people from doing late term abortions - something that is agains the law and generally agreed to be wrong - he offers this service for free.

Where is the outrage coming from Cody Dawg? As in, why is this any different from any other doctor performing abortions? Is there a price that will pacify you?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
No. But it's COMMON KNOWLEDGE that there are thousands of pleas out there to save the Katrina victims - including threads about what is going on with the animal victims. Mojo2 started one, for instance.
I still fail to see the relevance. Or do YOU believe it helps YOU to promote YOUR position and hence YOU added it?
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Perhaps you missed the latest updates. There were no reported rapes in New Orleans, nor the Superdome - contrary to claims made by news media. Also, the murder rate was lower than at any time during the past 15 years.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 09:44 AM

Perhaps you missed the latest updates. There were no reported rapes in New Orleans, nor the Superdome - contrary to claims made by news media. Also, the murder rate was lower than at any time during the past 15 years.
True. Very true.

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 10:22 AM

People are going to get abortions... it is their legal right. This doctor is simply saying that the abortion is a time sensitive procedure, and he would rather make it available then to have people try to do it when it is too late and becomes too dangerous.

Not too sure what is wrong with that?

I am sure there are doctors down there given out free dialysis treatments too to patients who need them in a timely fashion.

Do you honestly think simply because this doctor has made health care available to people for free that there is going to be a massive hike in abortions?

Or, are you saying that the doctor should be out saving animals instead?

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 10:25 AM

What the lefties are failing to realize is that the majority of people in NO are black.

Therefore they are for the genocide of black people.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr
What the lefties are failing to realize is that the majority of people in NO are black.

Therefore they are for the genocide of black people.

Left-handed people don't realize that the majority of NO citizens are black? What a revelation!

Typical generalizations.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 11:00 AM

Since Katrina just happened the women who wanted to have the abortions made up their minds a long time ago and were going to do it no matter what. This doctor just want to provide this service in a safe environment keeping the women from mutilating themselves which the pro life group want these women to mutilate themselves and died in agony. When you are at the point where you want an abortion nothing will keep you from having one. This doctor is more human than any pro life person. Get a grip it is just an advertisement for a needed service.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
…which the pro life group want these women to mutilate themselves and died in agony.…This doctor is more human than any pro life person.
I really do try not to resort to name calling…but you are a f*cking moron. Are you really this stupid or is this just an act? Really. 'cause I want to know. It's hard for me to believe that there are people with enough education to use a computer and walk upright that believe that pro-lifers are inhuman and want women to mutilate themselves to death.

c'mon, you're just a troll right? Please say yes.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 11:13 AM

I've seen nothing but unsubstantiated trollish posts from her in multiple threads.

She'll step in about a week after the debate is over, and post an "it's al Bush's fault," obviously without reading the thread where that viewpoint has already been disproven.

Actually, I'm shocked she didn't do it here.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 11:24 AM

monique
Since Katrina just happened the women who wanted to have the abortions made up their minds a long time ago and were going to do it no matter what.
Oh, so since their pregnancies were the result of nothing to do with Katrina that means that they're just going in for a free abortion, a "freebie," is that what you're saying?

That's disgusting.

By the way, I don't even think you're a woman so stop pretending to be one.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 12:00 PM

Liberal hippie type women kill babies for sport.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 12:03 PM

the doc must be a religious man given the profound risk to life and limb advertising his services so openly.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 12:04 PM

moniqueOh, so since their pregnancies were the result of nothing to do with Katrina that means that they're just going in for a free abortion, a "freebie," is that what you're saying?

That's disgusting.

Cody, I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I want to know why you think it is disgusting.

If you are pro-life, then I understand that this is your general disdain for abortions.... that I understand. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Or, is it something to do with this particular situation?

Women do not just spontaneously decide to have an abortion because a doctor offers to do one. What the original poster you quoted was trying to say, I think, is that these women had already decided to have their abortions, Katrina struck, and now some of them may be in a situation where they will be unable to carry out their health care related plans. This doctor is simply offering his services to allow them to carry out their plans, in the same way a cardiologist may be offering to perform an angioplasty on someone who has a heart attack while in New Orleans right now.

I almost get the impression that you feel that women are just going to wake up and go "WHAT! FREE ABORTIONS! I'M IN!!!"

... which makes no sense to me, and you seem smarter than that.

Just curious.

Cheers,

James

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Hello. "reported"? When these victims where (finally!) rescued, they were taken out of town/state, and out of the legal jurisdiction of the crime. They can't go to the Dallas police and report a rape that happened in New Orleans. They are screwed twice.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:34 PM

Right; there are no conservatives that have abortions, are there? It's only the far left that does that kind of thing, isn't it?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Right; there are no conservatives that have abortions, are there? It's only the far left that does that kind of thing, isn't it?
I think that one flew right by ya Karl…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 03:27 PM

Apparently the theme is: "Let's save all the pets and animals and kill the human babies instead."

What a sick bastard.

I'm with you Cody, the man is undermining capitalism - let the markets decide what the price of an abortion should be, giving the service away for free is, well, just disgusting...
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by spauldingg
Hello. "reported"? When these victims where (finally!) rescued, they were taken out of town/state, and out of the legal jurisdiction of the crime. They can't go to the Dallas police and report a rape that happened in New Orleans. They are screwed twice.
Nice try, but the New Orleans Police Department still exists.

New Orleans horros turn out to be rumors
The ugliest reports -- children with slit throats, women raped, corpses piling up in the basement -- became a searing image of post-Katrina New Orleans.

The stories were told by residents trapped inside the Superdome and convention center and were repeated by public officials. Many news organizations, including the Associated Press, carried the witness accounts and official pronouncements, and in some cases later repeated the claims as fact, without attribution.

But now, after the chaos has subsided, police are reexamining the reports and finding that many have little or no basis in fact. They have no official reports of rape and no eyewitnesses to sexual assault. The state Department of Health and Hospitals counted 10 dead at the Superdome and four at the convention center. Two of those are believed to have been murdered.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 03:56 PM

The only objection I have to abortion is that fact that the vast majority of abortions are for retroactive birth control.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...abreasons.html

If you add up the obvious "birth control" reasons given, a full 91.5% of abortions performed are done for the matter of convenience.

I'm not saying keep your legs closed, but take some friggin responsibility. Birth control exists and many forms are more than 98% effective.

Killing a fetus just for your own convenience is what I object to, especially when it is so easy (and free, btw) to not get pregnant in the first place.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 04:22 PM

and what good publicity that must be!

I'm with you Cody, the man is undermining capitalism - let the markets decide what the price of an abortion should be, giving the service away for free is, well, just disgusting...
good call. if anything, prices should have gone up in surrounding states due to the influx of NO residents - i think i smell a commie, ya'll.

The only objection I have to abortion is that fact that the vast majority of abortions are for retroactive birth control.
what he said. i'm sure that some are needed after pill / condom failures, but the rest make me a little uneasy. if nothing else, surely it's easier and less traumatic just to take the pill?

sminch

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 04:22 PM

hmmmmm...

is monique like bizarro cody ( or vice versa)?

i wonder if the mods could create "observation only" threads where two folks, such as cody dawg and monique, could - uhm - "discuss?" any topic(s) they desire with only each other. there could be a three-day moratorium on threads about the thread so we could see how it plays out.

and we could call it science and pretend it is for the betterment of netkind. ;-)

be well.

laeth

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 04:28 PM

Again, coming from a country where abortion is free, and common place for those who need it, I do not see why you are giving this Dr so much grief.

IF someone needs an abortion it should not be our place to criticise them - we all make bad decisions throughout our lives, some of those have consequences.

If however that does result in the unfortunate case of a pregnancy they can then be responsible by terminating it if they want to. And the safest way to do that, to both the mother, and the embryo is to do it as early as possible.

It is therefore extremely responsible of the Dr in question to try and allow that to happen as soon as possible, and as stated in the document there could be problems for patients to get an abortion with the lack of medical services.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
But the victims aren't there to report the crime.

New Orleans horros turn out to be rumorsTwo of those are believed to have been murdered.
I'm sure those murder victims will be thrilled to find out the press sensationalized the other stories...
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 06:27 PM

Bzzt. Wrong again.

6 total deaths. 4 from natural causes (old age) and 2 were suicides.

Statistically, the aftermath of Katrina made New Orleans safer than in decades past. Last year there were more than 200 murders.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 07:05 PM

It's in his own friggen link.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 07:37 PM

Fox News reported 6 dead, like I stated.

The article linked in the post above says "hospitals reported..".

In any case, it was the safest week you could have spent in New Orleans since 1975.

let's get back on topic and kill babies because to be born poor is worse than not living at all. right?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Statistically, the aftermath of Katrina made New Orleans safer than in decades past. Last year there were more than 200 murders.

Sounds like hurricanes are a good thing.

I wish you lots and lots of 'em!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 07:54 PM

Fox? Ha Ha Ha Ha. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

Even the folks in that JetBlue plane watching their own potential tragedy didn't believe it til they turned from fox to msnbc and cnn.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 08:28 PM

let's get back on topic and kill babies because to be born poor is worse than not living at all. right?
could well be if your mother is a homeless NO evacuee with nothing more than the shirt on her back, no family, five kids already, and no prospects. best we screw up her other kids' lives even more by forcing our ideology on her by making her her have another kid, eh?

sminch

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 09:53 PM

I won't add anything to this topic, because whenever I prove Cody wrong she never replies again. Sad really. Pointless.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sminch
could well be if your mother is a homeless NO evacuee with nothing more than the shirt on her back, no family, five kids already, and no prospects. best we screw up her other kids' lives even more by forcing our ideology on her by making her her have another kid, eh?

sminch
translation: it's better to never have life than to be born poor.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:03 AM

It is none of your business why a woman chooses to have an abortion.

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
It is none of your business why a woman chooses to have an abortion.
an adjunct

and it's not a woman's business to seek public funds to have an abortion.

be well.

laeth

(awwww, hell. i think i just stepped on a hornet's nest)

^^edit^^: i understand the procedures are free in the context of this thread. just sayin...
( Last edited by isao bered; Sep 29, 2005 at 04:10 PM. )

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 04:13 PM

Precisely, it may not be anyone's business why she chooses to have an abortion if she pays for it herself, but it is damned well our business to know how and for what our tax dollars are spent.
"That Others May Live"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 04:15 PM

What a sick bastard.

So you're saying all the women raped during Hurricane Katrina should have to carry those children?

Or did you not think of that?

Or did you not know about all the raped women?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
No, they didn't. They were stuck inside police stations being shot at. A lot of them left too.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 04:22 PM

translation: it's better to never have life than to be born poor.
having never been the unwanted child of a homeless, unemployed woman i couldn't really say for sure. my guess is yes. are there any unwanted children of homeless, unemployed women out there who would like to discuss this further?

but even then that isn't what we're arguing - surely the point is whether the homeless, unemployed woman should be forced to compromise her life and the life of her other other children simply to satisfy the ideology of a comfortably wealthy guy she's never met.

Precisely, it may not be anyone's business why she chooses to have an abortion if she pays for it herself, but it is damned well our business to know how and for what our tax dollars are spent.
you could be on to something here... still, would you rather your tax dollars be spent on an abortion (of which you disapprove), or spent on welfare to support that unwanted child for the next 18 years?

sminch

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 04:30 PM

welfare. Until the child turns 18 or until the parent(s) no longer require government assistance.

Because when the child turns 18 there's a good chance he or she will become a productive taxpaying citizen. And, much to the dismay of the pro-abortion lobby, that child might even be (God forbid) happy.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
So you're saying all the women raped during Hurricane Katrina should have to carry those children?

Or did you not think of that?

Or did you not know about all the raped women?
I guess you missed the part where the rapes were rumors.

But now, after the chaos has subsided, police are reexamining the reports and finding that many have little or no basis in fact. They have no official reports of rape and no eyewitnesses to sexual assault.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 05:48 PM

please. do you honestly believe that "the pro-abortion lobby" doesn't think a child brought up on welfare can be happy?

Unintended and unwanted childbearing has been linked with a variety of social problems, including divorce, poverty, child abuse, and juvenile delinquency. One study found that unwanted children were ... more likely to engage in criminal behavior, be on welfare, and receive psychiatric services. Another study found that children who were unintended by their mothers had lower self esteem than their intended peers 23 years later.
from http://www.apa.org/ppo/issues/womenabortfacts.html, the first page i found that looked appropriate.

we're talking about unwanted children, children who the (potential) mother didn't want and has decided would be best off not to be born. to make a terrible analogy, which would you care for better - a new powerbook that you decided to get after careful planning, or a dell that you didn't want but you were forced to use? maybe once you get your hands on the dell you'll fall in love and look after it well. maybe you'll resent it for screwing up your plans.

i can totally understand where you're coming from and am really just arguing for the sake of it, but i think that stopping someone from preventing a scenario that they believe will be highly detrimental simply because we disapprove of the means they need to take to achieve this might not, in instances such as this, be reasonable. of course it would have been better for the woman to have been more responsible in the first place but it's likely that she knows this too, doesn't actually want to go through an abortion, but sees it as the best / only option.

sminch

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 07:16 PM

I'm 39 years old and I have never met a mother who felt that having a child was a bad decision.

So, I figure that pretty much *all* of the pregnant women who gave birth made the right decision.

I've met several pregnant women that chose to abort their child - I even married one who did - and not all of them felt it was the right decision.

Also, I know that money (and the lack thereof) has nothing whatsoever to do with a person's happiness. Money doesn't make you happy nor does it make a person any more inclined to be happy. There is ample evidence to support this premise, yet 98% of people seem to ignore it. Furthermore, poverty is almost always a temporary condition. Unlike stupidity, which is a lifelong disease.

My opinions are generally based on what I've learned in real life.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 07:27 PM

With your broad experience then, you have it all figured out.

Most of us base our opinions on what we've learned in real life.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 09:33 PM

so you're saying that you're 39 and you've never met a mother who felt that having a child was a bad decision? i'd suggest that perhaps you've just never met a mother who has admitted to you that having a child was a bad decision.

if you're just taking things at face value then maybe you don't see the difference here but given the crappy thinking due to my lifelong stupidity, i think there may be a difference. please explain where my reasoning has gone wrong.

i have no doubt at all that there are lots of women who regret having a child but they would never dream of telling anyone because that would be a terrible thing to say (or even to admit to themselves). hell, loads of people won't admit even slightly bad decisions like buying a crappy car, so why on earth would people tell someone about their huge, life alteringly bad decisions?

you say that not all women who have abortions think it was the right decision later? i'm sure you're right. rather than just make assertions like this i'd be interested in seeing some stats, though a quick google failed to turn anything up for me. maybe you can do better.

and of course money doesn't guarantee happiness, though i call "bollocks" on it having nothing whatsoever to do with a person's happiness. you seem obsessed with this point when it's relatively tangential so i'll repeat my stance in case you missed it before - if someone who has been screwed over by a natural disaster, lost everything, and become a refugee, don't you think that this might be a good time to let them take control of their life rather than forcing another complication on them?

your opinions are based on what you've learned in real life? er, good one. i take it you never learned that ad hominem attacks and statements such as this just make your argument look pathetic.

sminch

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
You know what? It's not the kids' fault that they're a conception of rape! Why don't all mothers just kill their kids instead of fostering them or putting them up for adoption. Yes, I know it's not easy to do these things, but its better than murdering them! And yes, it is murder. A baby - oh, excuse me. fetus - isn't dead until they're born and then at that instance when they're birthed they become alive! No they're alive in the mothers womb. Yeah, maybe they don't "contribute anything to society" but they're still alive. Don't give me that they're developing still therefore they're not alive crap. You know theyre alive. So get over it, and abortion is murder!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 10:12 PM

"i have no doubt at all that there are lots of women who regret having a child... "

heh. classic.

I know at least one who should regret having a child.

Forum Links
Forum Rules