Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word X driving me CRAZY

Word X driving me CRAZY
zeller
Dec 13, 2002, 04:10 PM

First off, I hate Word. If Endnote 6 worked with anything else, I'd boogy in a sec.

This problem is driving me bonkers: somehow the default window position for documents is up against the menu bar, UNDER Word's toolbars. New docs and docs that I open appear under the bars (I have two, a modified "Main toolbar" and the Endnote bar). If I want to see the top line of text, I need to close the toolbars, drag the window, then reopen the toolbars. Ack!

This all started when I accidentally closed the bars a few days ago. After I told them to reappear this incredibly annoying problem started.

Anyone have any ideas?

If I can't figure it out I'm going to wipe and reinstall Office.

tia,

Ben

symonsl
Dec 13, 2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by zeller:
First off, I hate Word. If Endnote 6 worked with anything else, I'd boogy in a sec.

This problem is driving me bonkers: somehow the default window position for documents is up against the menu bar, UNDER Word's toolbars. New docs and docs that I open appear under the bars (I have two, a modified "Main toolbar" and the Endnote bar). If I want to see the top line of text, I need to close the toolbars, drag the window, then reopen the toolbars. Ack!

This all started when I accidentally closed the bars a few days ago. After I told them to reappear this incredibly annoying problem started.

Anyone have any ideas?

If I can't figure it out I'm going to wipe and reinstall Office.

tia,

Ben
I had a similar problem with PowerPoint. I deleted the preferences for PP and it solved the problem. Try searching for this file: com.microsoft.Word.plist and deleting it and then restarting Word.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2002, 07:00 PM

I had that same problem with window title bars opening underneath the toolbars. It bugged me for about a year. I don't use Word much becaue I'm trying to wean myself of reliance on Microsoft. Then last week I closed all the toolbars but one and dragged it around. What do you know, the document window snapped down below the toolbar. Now my document windows always open in the right position.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Dec 14, 2002 at 10:59 AM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I had that same problem with window title bars opening underneath the toolbars. I bugged me for about a year, then last week I closed all the toolbars but one and dragged it around. What do you know, the document window snapped down below the toolbar. Now my document windows always open in the right position.

Chris
Thanks--this has bugged me for a while, too. I tried your solution and it worked!
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2002, 11:02 AM

I'm glad that worked for you. I hadn't told anyone about it before, mainly because I wasn't sure if what I did with the toolbar was the real cure. But what I think happened is that because I use Word so seldom, the toolbars I displayed were in their default positions. Once I moved them, Word recognized my intention and moved the window out of the way. At least that's the only answer I can come up with.

Chris

zeller  (op)
Dec 14, 2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I had that same problem with window title bars opening underneath the toolbars. It bugged me for about a year. I don't use Word much becaue I'm trying to wean myself of reliance on Microsoft. Then last week I closed all the toolbars but one and dragged it around. What do you know, the document window snapped down below the toolbar. Now my document windows always open in the right position.

Chris
Chris - This worked! Thanks so much. Someone should start a FAQ somewhere about how to stop annoying things that Word does. Of course, that would be a looooooooong FAQ.

Symonsl - if the solution doesn't stick, I'll try zapping the prefs too.

Ben

Forum Links
Forum Rules