Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo OS?

Pismo OS?
macmanmk
May 1, 2000, 05:39 PM

What is the minimum OS required on the Pismo 'Books? 9.0x? Will they run at 8.6? Any knowledge, please.

--Mike

Misha
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 06:11 PM

9.0.2. It needs that OS because of the enablers for the hardware.

Any earlier OS will not work (the PowerBook won't boot).

Why go back to 8.6? 9.0.4 is like Chevy: slow as a rock; er, built like a rock...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2000, 09:38 PM

Too bad...

Perhaps you might steal the enablers from the newer OS revision and plop them in the... oh... that won't work, never mind.

Mac OS 9 is pretty slow, and takes up a whole lot more RAM, in comparison with 8.6. The multiple users and Sherlock 2 aren't worth it...

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 09:44 PM

MacOS 9.04 has been benched to prove that it is very nearly as fast as 8.6, the percentage points difference is negligible!

i know everyone wants water-tight evidence, i got this evidence from either MacNN, MacInTouch, or MacFixit, and i can't remember which one... i was satisfied with the provenance of the report when i read it and am satisfied now with MacOS 9.04

ash
May 3, 2000, 01:27 PM

DP3 runs fine on the Pismos as well, however OS X Server doesn't even install...

zeller
May 3, 2000, 05:11 PM

Bit of a tangent here, but...

9.0.2 seems pretty stable. I tried 9.0.4 and had horrible results -- unstable, slow, audio problems. I downgraded to 9.0.2 and am again pleased. I hear that other people had better results, however.

I also hear that the newest LinuxPPC kernels are working with Pismo's, if you are interested in running UN*X on your powerbook. I imagine that NetBSD/macppc will be working on Pismo's pretty soon, if it is not already.

Ben

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2000, 11:34 PM

"wlonh", 9.04 squanders a hell of a lot more RAM compared with system 8.

Here's a quick comparison...

A friend of mine and I both own PowerBook G3 "Lombard" 333 megahertz computers. His computer, bought 3 months before mine, had less RAM, and ran OS 8.61. His crashed thrice, ever. On the other hand, mine was crashing like crazy, running OS 9, even right after I bought it.

I wish I had bought the PowerBook 3 months earlier. That way I could have had OS 8...

Forum Links
Forum Rules