Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now

There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
We're back in that situation where you seem to be giving generous benefit of the doubt. You don't strike me as the type of person who would take what a politician says (or writes) at face value, but here you are doing that for Trump again.
Trump is the DHS?

I'm taking what the DHS says their policy is at face value because that's how policy memos work, no?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2017, 02:58 PM

He picked the guy running it. I mean, that's the point of winning.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2017, 03:01 PM

What's New In Those DHS Memos On Immigration Enforcement? : The Two-Way : NPR

Immigration advocates have highlighted, in particular, the fact that people who have "committed an act for which they could face charges" could be made a priority.

"Because immigrants can technically face charges for entering the country illegally," NPR's Adrian Florido explained in January, the policy "potentially makes any immigrant in the U.S. illegally a deportation priority just by virtue of being present."
Best I can do on a phone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2017, 03:30 PM

He picked the guy running it. I mean, that's the point of winning.
The guy who runs it sets policy.

The policy he set was "let this guy slide".

I feel this point isn't getting across.

It is official Trump administration policy to let this guy slide.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2017, 03:44 PM

I feel you're not getting my point: Official policy means nothing if it's not followed. Again I struggle to understand why you seem so eager to take them at their word and disregard their actions.

How about this: Of the two aforementioned cases, has bringing them to the governments attention changed anything?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2017, 03:45 PM

The guy who runs it represents his benefactor. Does the memo not count as policy?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2017, 04:01 PM

The guy who runs it represents his benefactor. Does the memo not count as policy?
From the last post, I think I get what you're saying, and can provide an answer... but then this throws me for a loop. The memo is the policy, right? It says "hey ICE, this is how we think you should operate".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2017, 04:17 PM

I don't know semantics but I imagine it's less official or something. I really don't care

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2017, 04:07 PM

I feel you're not getting my point: Official policy means nothing if it's not followed. Again I struggle to understand why you seem so eager to take them at their word and disregard their actions.
I'm not eager to take them at their word, I'm trying to make sure the scale of what I'm talking about is being understood.

Right now, ICE is full-bore rounding up illegal immigrants.

The reason this is happening is every single employee of ICE got a memo which said "our new policy is to full-bore round up illegal immigrants... meat's back on the menu, boys". That the people in these articles are exceptions is part of this memo.

It's really weird for me to hear this described as simply "a politician's word".

If ICE doesn't do what's in the memo, while there may be lying involved, it's really weird to hear it explained away as simply "well, no one trusts politicians".

Maybe I'm misreading things, but what I'm getting back feels like I cited a campaign promise.

That's not to dismiss the questions you've asked. For instance, how many examples we need before a pattern can be established is a good question. You tell me. Making allowances for underreporting, a certain percentage of ICE employees being assholes, along with a certain percentage failing to sweat the details (gloss over the wrong paragraph, and the exceptions may as well not exist), how many examples do we need to start throwing around allegations their word doesn't match their actions?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2017, 09:36 PM

Have they set up the happy/death camps yet?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Have they set up the happy/death camps yet?
I was excited to see you enter the fray, but I was honestly hoping for something more to sink my teeth into.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2017, 07:42 AM

Well he said he wanted to deport all the illegals, now he is. What can I really say?

If you're an illegal running a business, paying taxes and employing Americans, i.e. 'the sort of illegal we want here', then there ought to be a way to make you legal surely? A real fast track. 10 years of company accounts, no tax owing and no convictions? You're in. Done.

Gonna be interesting to see what he says after removing the illegals when he loses an election. No doubt they'll have snuck back to vote then left again.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Well he said he wanted to deport all the illegals, now he is. What can I really say?

If you're an illegal running a business, paying taxes and employing Americans, i.e. 'the sort of illegal we want here', then there ought to be a way to make you legal surely? A real fast track. 10 years of company accounts, no tax owing and no convictions? You're in. Done.

Gonna be interesting to see what he says after removing the illegals when he loses an election. No doubt they'll have snuck back to vote then left again.
As has been being discussed over the last few posts, official administration policy is to let the people in the stories slide. It's unclear why they haven't been.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
As has been being discussed over the last few posts, official administration policy is to let the people in the stories slide. It's unclear why they haven't been.
Perhaps because the purpose of the "official administration policy" is simply for public consumption and is designed to provide plausible deniability for actions geared toward satiating the anti-immigrant sentiment among Trump's base?

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Perhaps because the purpose of the "official administration policy" is simply for public consumption and is designed to provide plausible deniability for actions geared toward satiating the anti-immigrant sentiment among Trump's base?

OAW
Here are the main scenarios wherein a discretionary exemption can be made.

It's a poor use of resources.
It's a minor.
They're married to an American citizen.
They have children who are American citizens.

Official policy for public consumption is all others must go. That's not exactly a weak position on illegal immigration.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2017, 03:37 PM

Here are the main scenarios wherein a discretionary exemption can be made.

It's a poor use of resources.
It's a minor.
They're married to an American citizen.
They have children who are American citizens.

Official policy for public consumption is all others must go. That's not exactly a weak position on illegal immigration.
I don't disagree per se. I'm just saying that when you get elected by stirring the pot of anti-immigrant sentiment you have to "feed the tiger" that comprises large cross-sections of your base. And that base doesn't necessarily look at the issue "rationally". Very often it's a "visceral" thing for them. They just want to see brown people being deported. And they don't particularly care about the circumstances unless you press the issue.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Mar 31, 2017 at 04:03 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2017, 09:28 PM

I mean "not a weak position" precisely in terms of "feeding the tiger".

The pool of illegal immigrants to choose from is so large at this point, ICE can publicly demonstrate they mean business without touching examples from the thread, and AFAICT, that's what ICE has been doing. These two stories are a couple drops in the torrent of stories about the ICE mobilization.

I'm going to pull numbers out of my ass here, but there are supposedly 10 millionish illegal Mexicans in this country... probably 9 millionish of them are fair game. ICE already has leave to play hardass with almost every illegal immigrant.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2017, 10:09 PM

^^^

Again I get your point. But what I'm saying is that if people like mentioned in these two stories get caught up in an ICE dragnet ... even if they aren't specifically "targeted" ... the vast majority of Trump supporters really don't give two shits.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2017, 10:25 PM

Ahhhhh! Stand by...

Hit post instead of preview.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2017, 12:33 AM

^^^

Again I get your point. But what I'm saying is that if people like mentioned in these two stories get caught up in an ICE dragnet ... even if they aren't specifically "targeted" ... the vast majority of Trump supporters really don't give two shits.

OAW
There is certainly a group for whom this is the case, and current ICE policy is such The Powers That Be could genuinely desire the exemption policy be honored, and these supporters would still be like pigs in shit.

Therefore, a less genuine attitude on behalf of The Powers That Be is not necessary to keep the base happy.

That's not to say The Powers That Be don't have a less genuine attitude, I'm saying if they do, feeding the base makes for a poor motivator.

My guess is unless an agent draws too much media heat, or aggressively contravenes the resource wasting exemption, The Powers That Be basically don't care. An agent who's hitting quotas won't get stomped on for giving out exemptions. Likewise, they won't stop an asshole agent from coloring like an asshole as long as it's inside the lines.

I don't defend this, only note it's more amoral than it is diabolical.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2017, 05:35 PM

I don't disagree per se. I'm just saying that when you get elected by stirring the pot of anti-immigrant sentiment you have to "feed the tiger" that comprises large cross-sections of your base. And that base doesn't necessarily look at the issue "rationally". Very often it's a "visceral" thing for them. They just want to see brown people being deported. And they don't particularly care about the circumstances unless you press the issue.

OAW
You're being very polite. We are talking about the least rational base in political history. They don't care about the circumstances no matter how hard you press because they stop listening after the first dozen words or so. As long as those are "Thousands of {insert non-American, brown-sounding nationality} people have been deported under president Trump", whatever is said afterwards will only be heard by people who hated him to start with. The people whose minds need changing are already watching the next episode of 'Ow My Balls' on Nutflix.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2017, 07:19 PM

Okay.

Still not really much I can do with this.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2017, 07:39 PM

Not being one to shy away from available evidence...

ICE Arrests Green Card Applicants In Lawrence, Signaling Shift In Priorities | WBUR News

This article directly brings up a point which likewise occurred to me.

Stories like this and the previous two can obviously have a chilling effect on illegal immigrants trying to work within the system.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2017, 06:23 AM

ICE Arrests Green Card Applicants In Lawrence, Signaling Shift In Priorities | WBUR News

Stories like this and the previous two can obviously have a chilling effect on illegal immigrants trying to work within the system.
I feel that incidents like that would give any immigrant trying to work within the system at least pause to consider if the whole green card programme wasn't just an entrapment scheme. If it was it would be completely counter productive, targeting only those with a desire to do the right thing and build a productive life while ignoring those who choose to remain hidden. In short an almost perfect quota filling exercise.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2017, 01:00 PM

Absolutely.

While I'm taking the position The Powers That Be don't really care, this is a scenario wherein not caring is tantamount to encouragement.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2017, 01:26 PM

Its a question of whether the agents are taking it upon themselves to go above and beyond after 8 years of feeling like they weren't allowed and now they think they'll get away with it, or whether the brass sent word down the line that they should do that. There won't be a paper trail for that though. Instead the brass is covered by the memo. Though I'm not sure why, they mostly don't seem to think they need to cover themselves these days.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2017, 02:09 PM

The exception policy in question is only a bit more than three years old, so it's not like this is some time-honored tradition they need to respect, and further, it has Obama taint. Why even keep it? They're worried about bad press?

The mystery variable is how prevalent are the asshole ICE agents. The more common they are, the easier it is to mimic the result of a secret directive by simply doing nothing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2017, 09:36 PM

Most law enforcement in the US are Republican voters right?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2017, 09:59 PM

As far as I know.

OreoCookie
Apr 3, 2017, 05:07 AM

That's really ugly and counterproductive on so many levels. I also read of a couple of Indian neurologists who, due to faulty paperwork, lost their legal status. Despite literally lives being on the line and them trying to do the right thing, they were initially asked to leave the country within 24 hours. Not only does it seem to me that all humanity and compassion is being drained from the system, but that ICE turns their attention to people who are actually the ones you want to keep.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2017, 06:57 AM

As far as I know.
Then you have a pretty big pool of potential assholes. Not that Democrat LEOs can't be assholes, but they are orders of magnitude less likely to be deporting people for their own amusement.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2017, 11:12 AM

Okay.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2017, 12:14 PM

Democrats tend to be criminals.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
it would be quicker if you just typed "blah blah blah" for each of your posts. You could just cut and paste and we would all know what you meant to write anyway.

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2017, 12:48 PM

FFS.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 3, 2017, 12:54 PM

Just say blacks and hispanics and be done with it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2017, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
FFS.
That's all caps.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2017, 11:41 AM

I know I started this but do any of us really believe that Republican ICE officers aren't orders of magnitude more likely to be enthusiastic about their work deporting people than Democrats? Its pretty much part of the Republican manifesto these isn't it? Anti-immigration?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2017, 01:20 PM

Anti ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Get it right! Understand the difference?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2017, 01:48 PM

You may want to check who's in the White House. Bannon and Sessions both want to reduce legal immigration

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2017, 02:05 PM

Catching people applying for green cards (lawabiders) and those seeking the courts' protection seems like catching fish in a barrel.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2017, 02:34 PM

Important note... the green card applicants are only half law-abiders. They're all in tracks where exceptions can be given, but exceptions are needed to be given because the person is here illegally.

Frex, one person they busted is definitely in the country illegally, but got married to a citizen after the deportation order.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2017, 07:38 PM

I'm not eager to take them at their word, I'm trying to make sure the scale of what I'm talking about is being understood.

Right now, ICE is full-bore rounding up illegal immigrants.

The reason this is happening is every single employee of ICE got a memo which said "our new policy is to full-bore round up illegal immigrants... meat's back on the menu, boys". That the people in these articles are exceptions is part of this memo.

It's really weird for me to hear this described as simply "a politician's word".

If ICE doesn't do what's in the memo, while there may be lying involved, it's really weird to hear it explained away as simply "well, no one trusts politicians".

Maybe I'm misreading things, but what I'm getting back feels like I cited a campaign promise.

That's not to dismiss the questions you've asked. For instance, how many examples we need before a pattern can be established is a good question. You tell me. Making allowances for underreporting, a certain percentage of ICE employees being assholes, along with a certain percentage failing to sweat the details (gloss over the wrong paragraph, and the exceptions may as well not exist), how many examples do we need to start throwing around allegations their word doesn't match their actions?
Ok, I think I understand the disconnect now. I assume while nothing has been said to the public, memos have been circulated to the effect of "Go hog wild". That is what I deduce both from my suspicions of the admin, campaign rhetoric, and the available evidence.

So the short answer is I think behind-the-scenes they've been told differently than what they're presenting to us.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2017, 07:43 PM

Ok, the hypocrisy on this story has now gone off the charts: Wife of Granger restaurant owner facing deportation says she regrets voting for Trump | Local | southbendtribune.com

She also revealed that she, like her husband, had once been an illegal immigrant, though now she is a U.S. citizen. She is originally from Greece.
For her part, Helen says she has gone through the legal immigration process, though in a different way.

She said she flew from her home in Greece to Chicago legally when she was 10, coming with an aunt to visit Helen’s sister. She decided to stay after her visa expired, not fully understanding immigration laws, and went to school in Chicago.

Twelve years later, she flew back to Greece because her dad was fighting cancer. And four months after that, she realized that she couldn’t return to the U.S. because she’d become an illegal immigrant.

So, she said, she flew to Canada and crossed the U.S. border with the driver’s license that she’d obtained when she was 16. She said she also had a Social Security card that was marked “not valid for employment.” It was 1991.

Then in 1993, she made an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Greece, where she came back to Athens, went through some paperwork and gained a legal visa to enter the U.S. In 2002, she said, she gained citizenship.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2017, 10:00 PM

Did I stutter? Deporting people mid-application says anti-immigration.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2017, 10:32 PM

Ok, I think I understand the disconnect now. I assume while nothing has been said to the public, memos have been circulated to the effect of "Go hog wild". That is what I deduce both from my suspicions of the admin, campaign rhetoric, and the available evidence.

So the short answer is I think behind-the-scenes they've been told differently than what they're presenting to us.
I'm going to more or less recycle the response I gave to OAW.

If there are 10 million illegal immigrants here, the public memo says 9 million are fair game. They've already said "go hog wild".

What does pursuit of that last 10% via backchannels get them other than a damaging leak?

I think what's most likely is The Powers That Be don't care. Asshole agents can be assholes as long as they don't waste resources or bring down too much heat. Nice agents can be nice as long as they hit their quotas.

The larger the contingent of asshole agents, the more the situation mimics a formal conspiracy despite one not really existing, not to mention how even the few incidents we've heard about frightening people what may happen if they try to work within the system.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2017, 10:45 PM

Since this is in response to the woman being hoodwinked by policy, I reply, who would have thunk Trump would have a loose grip on the reigns? /s

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2017, 06:18 AM

I'm going to more or less recycle the response I gave to OAW.

If there are 10 million illegal immigrants here, the public memo says 9 million are fair game. They've already said "go hog wild".

What does pursuit of that last 10% via backchannels get them other than a damaging leak?

I think what's most likely is The Powers That Be don't care. Asshole agents can be assholes as long as they don't waste resources or bring down too much heat. Nice agents can be nice as long as they hit their quotas.

The larger the contingent of asshole agents, the more the situation mimics a formal conspiracy despite one not really existing, not to mention how even the few incidents we've heard about frightening people what may happen if they try to work within the system.
I would guess that when the memo says "these 90% - go hog wild, these 10%..." the message heard is...

"go hog wild"

No one ever got sacked for buying IBM

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2017, 10:54 AM

I think this guess is more probable than the ones alleging a conspiracy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2017, 08:01 PM

I think this guess is more probable than the ones alleging a conspiracy.
I think it's a little simpler than conspiracy, but point taken.

I basically see it as thus: Trump Admin comes in, says "Meat's back in the menu boys!" and leaves the room. Doesn't come back to check up on them. I don't see that as a 'conspiracy'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules