Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered new eMac - Waiting begins...

Ordered new eMac - Waiting begins...
Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Jan 29, 2004, 02:01 PM

I just ordered a new eMac from the Apple Edu Store (Europe). Now the dreaded waiting begins as to when the order is cleared and shipping will take place. So far my order says shipping on or before Feb 3rd, but the Apple Rep I talked to today on the phone said something about Feb 16/17. Oh my!! He reasoned with the iSight being in backorder, but my sister's order was sent out two days ago, iSight as well, without any delay. Why always me?? Waiting for 5-7 days is hard enough, but two more weeks?!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 09:42 PM

congrats on the eMac..it will be worth the wait...i have been very happy with mine.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 09:00 AM

So, they finally called and confirmed my shipping address. Whew, at last. So, now it's up to the packaging and delivery guys. Hope they stick to their given "est. shipping by" date.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 05:56 PM

You know i got my new eMac this wednesday, i ordered it the Saturday prior. I don't live in the states, I live in the UK. I got it in 5 days!

I ordered it Saturday afternoon with a 1-2 day build time but a printer i ordered with it was 3-5 and none of it ships until everything is ready.

Monday morning i get an email at 02:00am saying its shipped, less than 48 hours after i ordered it. I never got a tracking number for it because it was here at my door the Wednesday anyway.

Its great apart from not playing diablo2 decently.

Just a note, the screen ripples if you have the music on full, it doesn't bother me, its like having visualisation turned on so the screen is dancing to the music as i work.

Considering this is Apples cheapest machine i am impressed and so is everybody i have shown it to, they use windows as well. The fact that it is 1Ghz doesn't bother them either, they love the look of it more than anything else.

Can't say I like the mouse though, i got a MAPP mouse instead from shinza.com. Great stuff.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
Its great apart from not playing diablo2 decently.
Have you, or anyone else, tried it with Aliens vs Predator 2? Is the eMac too slow a machine to play that?

Just a note, the screen ripples if you have the music on full, it doesn't bother me, its like having visualisation turned on so the screen is dancing to the music as i work.
I've read this many times. When you say "on full" do you actually mean the volume turned all the way to maximum, in both the system settings and iTunes itself? Or does it start to ripple at any point below that?

Can't say I like the mouse though, i got a MAPP mouse instead from shinza.com. Great stuff.
Masamune Shirow as in Ghost in the Shell? Hot dog! But how is it to actually use? And where did you buy it from in the UK?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by megasad:
Have you, or anyone else, tried it with Aliens vs Predator 2? Is the eMac too slow a machine to play that?

I've read this many times. When you say "on full" do you actually mean the volume turned all the way to maximum, in both the system settings and iTunes itself? Or does it start to ripple at any point below that?

Masamune Shirow as in Ghost in the Shell? Hot dog! But how is it to actually use? And where did you buy it from in the UK?
The card in the eMac is like Geforce2 quality, i doubt it can do much. Yes I mean full on but only if it is full on with itunes and with the speakers. Shinza ship to UK destinations...but i havn't got it yet so i'll let you know if you are interested.

There is also www.jlist.com which offers it in blue and ships it to the UK.
Are you from the UK or something?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2004, 09:11 AM

The card in the eMac is like Geforce2 quality, i doubt it can do much.
Then I shall get the first Aliens vs Predator game instead. Played it about four/five years ago on my PC and loved it. I'm not getting a new Mac to play games on, but it'd be nice if I could.

Yes I mean full on but only if it is full on with itunes and with the speakers.
Superb, for I doubt I shall ever need to play it that loud. Using an old G3 iMac, just two or three notches of system volume is my preferred volume setting.

Shinza ship to UK destinations...but i havn't got it yet so i'll let you know if you are interested... Are you from the UK or something?
When you get it, please post how it is to use. And yes, I live in London.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2004, 12:28 PM

i'll add it to my .mac account.

You got ICQ or something, maybe chat online?

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 05:48 PM

You know i got my new eMac this wednesday, i ordered it the Saturday prior. I don't live in the states, I live in the UK. I got it in 5 days!

I ordered it Saturday afternoon with a 1-2 day build time but a printer i ordered with it was 3-5 and none of it ships until everything is ready.

Monday morning i get an email at 02:00am saying its shipped, less than 48 hours after i ordered it. I never got a tracking number for it because it was here at my door the Wednesday anyway.
Well, today i got the shipping notification! Looks like my eMac is on its way. And for me it was the isight that caused a delay of 3-5 days, eMac was 1-2 days.

The screen issue has been discussed in some detail here. For a mouse, I already got a MS Intellimouse. I use the same one with my cube and I really like it.

Well, a couple more days and it's eMac time. And I am so looking forward to my iSight and iChat AV!

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2004, 05:58 PM

Why did you get an eMac if you have a cube?

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 11:36 AM

Logical reply would be: Because it's faster. But no, actually the emac will be the new mac at my parent's place . I am getting iSights for both them and me to enhance the telephone experience a little bit

My cube is still running at 450, but I am afraid to admit that 95 of the time this is fast enough for me. My power-hungry photoshop days are mostly over and when i get my hands on the new iPhoto 2, organizing my photos should be possible again on my cube. 8000+ pictures took their toll on it

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 12:44 PM

I bet, i just got ilife 04 today and its so much better than before and i normally only work with hundreds of photos.

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 12:56 PM

Did I write iPhoto 2? It's iPhoto 4 of course!! And I am pretty confident that it renders iPhoto useful again, finally!!

Just got off the phone from the Apple Store, they said the eMac should arrive before Friday, sent off on Saturday. So much for 2-3 day shipping, huh?

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 08:29 PM

eMac arrived today! It's great! Hooking it up to a wireless router and the cabel modem was a breeze. iPhoto 4 is amazing - the photos fly by and it's really useable again. The only thing still missing is an update in RAM, but this will follow shortly.
I love it!

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 08:06 AM

Everybody is happy then?

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 04:25 PM

Everybody is happy then?
You bet!!

CIA
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 08:49 PM

Great! Let's all move on to the next topic then... 8-)
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Forum Links
Forum Rules