Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > increasing HD capacity in a new G4 1 GHz iBook

increasing HD capacity in a new G4 1 GHz iBook
koshercuts
Sep 15, 2004, 03:05 PM

A week after purchasing the standard model with a 30GB HD, I'm realizing that I need twice the space.

Can you buy another HD and add it in with what is already there, or do you you have to replace the existing one?

Is is an easy DIY job like adding memory and an airport card?

What are some of the most compatible HD upgrade recommendations for this new model iBook?

thanks.

makrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by koshercuts:
A week after purchasing the standard model with a 30GB HD, I'm realizing that I need twice the space.

Can you buy another HD and add it in with what is already there, or do you you have to replace the existing one?

Is is an easy DIY job like adding memory and an airport card?

What are some of the most compatible HD upgrade recommendations for this new model iBook?

thanks.
You�ll have to replace the existing drive if you don�t want an external drive. It is a tricky operation and it will void your warranty. However I recently pulled off putting a hitachi travelstar 80 gB in our 800gHz iBook G4 by printing the whole picture walkthrough guide from xlr8youmac: http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action...=34179&-search

But first using a firewire cabinette to clone the old harddisk onto the new one with carbon copy cloner.

I didn�t even end up with leftover screws!

mrrisotto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 02:48 PM

It is a tricky job, and if you have ANY warranty left on your iBook, I wouldn't even consider it. I say live with the 30gb + a FireWire drive until your warranty is up, then do the swap.

makrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by mrrisotto:
It is a tricky job, and if you have ANY warranty left on your iBook, I wouldn't even consider it. I say live with the 30gb + a FireWire drive until your warranty is up, then do the swap.
I know it voids warranty, but how does it show? I could not see any seals that were broken. I guess the screws upon close inspection will show that the machine has been opened, but can not show that it has been opened by a unauthorized workshop(me).
Just curious if it is still under warranty.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 02:00 PM

Assume your machine is under warranty and you did the drive swap, then the iBook fails for some OTHER reason, you can put the original drive back in the machine and apple wouldn't know the difference. There are no seals as mentioned. I'm thinking of doing it when my warranty runs out.

However if the drive swap does do damage then thats your fault and you did void the warranty.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Forum Links
Forum Rules